Urgent Help - ASP & FoxPro Db

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Stuart, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    Hi,

    I have a web site that is built using FOxpro database
    (free table directory) running on a Win2003 server and
    IIS 6.

    I am using a DSN as the connection string to the DB.

    To connect to the database I am using ADODB.Record,
    Cursor Type of Static, Lock Type of Readonly, command
    type of adCmdText.

    The site was running for 6 days OK and then suddenly the
    site 'stopped working'.

    By 'stopped working' I noticed that the site would dislay
    static .HTM & HTML pages but not any .asp pages.

    I also noticed that some of the database files
    (.dbf, .cdx .fpt) were locking up and not releasing. When
    trying to FTP new files across I was getting a 550
    error 'File in use by another process' and the system
    administrator cannot delete the files either.

    THe SA said that he could not see any rogue process that
    had grabed the files and was at a loss as to the next
    step.

    I really need help on this - so any insight as to what
    might be the problem would be great.

    I have tried to give as much info here but if you need
    any more that might help with diagnosis please let me
    know and I will and get back to you.
    Stuart, Oct 6, 2004

  2. Stuart

    Joker Guest

    First off stop using ODBC/DSN to connect to the database. The next
    several links will give you more information on what your connection
    string should actually look like. It might not solve the problem, but
    at least your app will be faster & easier to manage.

    http://www.able-consulting.com/MDAC/ADO/Connection/OLEDB_Providers.htm#OLEDBProviderForVisualFoxPro

    http://www.connectionstrings.com/

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...n-us/ado270/htm/ado_deprecated_components.asp

    You might have to reboot the server to free the files from the clutches
    of the ODBC/DSN connection.

    Stuart wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a web site that is built using FOxpro database
    > (free table directory) running on a Win2003 server and
    > IIS 6.
    >
    > I am using a DSN as the connection string to the DB.
    >
    > To connect to the database I am using ADODB.Record,
    > Cursor Type of Static, Lock Type of Readonly, command
    > type of adCmdText.

    assistance.

    time.
    Joker, Oct 7, 2004