urgent help needed: aspx standard controls not being rendered as html at runtime

Timo

Over the weekend, I am installing a website on a laptop so our sales staff
can give a demonstration on Monday at a potential client site. Things are
not working as expected. I'm hoping what's wrong will be apparent from the
symptoms below.

I created a virtual directory beneath the Default Web Site using the wizard.
I have set the execute permission on the Default Web Site (and directories
beneath it) to Script. If I run iisstart.asp in the browser, the page comes
up saying the web service is running. IIS 5.1.

Plain vanilla HTML docs are being served up without a problem:

http://localhost/mywebapp/hello.htm --- okay

But http://localhost/mywebapp/howdy.aspx -- there is a problem. The aspx
controls are not being converted to HTML. It's as though the aspx rendering
engine is not running.

Howdy.aspx contains an asp:Label, an asp:Textbox, and an asp:Button.
When I type the URL into the browser, the page loads, but only the label
shows. When I examine the HTML source code in the browser, it reads:

<asp:Label ....
<asp:Textbox...
<asp:Button ...

The aspx is still "raw" and unprocessed. The page source should show this:

<input name="TextBox1 ... etc
<input type="submit" name="Button1"...etc

Why are the ASPX controls not being rendered?
The laptop is running WinXP Pro SP2.

Thanks
Timo

Mark Rae

Over the weekend, I am installing a website on a laptop so our sales staff
can give a demonstration on Monday at a potential client site. Things are
not working as expected. I'm hoping what's wrong will be apparent from the
symptoms below.

Are the web services running?

Pop a command prompt, type "net start w3svc" (without the quotes) and press
Enter.

IPGrunt

[...]

Is the .net framework installed and are the application mappings
correct in IIS? This is where the isapi dll mapping to process the
aspx file occurs.

An easy way to tell:

run %SystemRoot%\System32\inetsrv\iis.msc
(called Internet Information Services in the CPL)

navigate to your virtual dir, right click to select Properties.

In the Virtual directory panel, click Configuration button, look in
the Mappings panel. You should see a listing like:

| .aspx | c:\Win\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.1.4XX\aspnet_isapi.dll |
GET,HEAD,POST

-- ipgrunt

Guest

Sounds like you installed the .NET framework before adding IIS (or something
got messed up during the .NET install). If you haven't already, try this:

c:\<SystemDir>\Microsoft.NET\Framework\<Version>\aspnet_regiis.exe -i

Where <SystemDir> is the windows directory and <Version> is whatever version
of the framework you have installed (most likely v1.1.4322).

On my system, this looks like:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe -i

After that, the page should start showing up (you may need to reboot your
machine after running this if it doesn't work as soon as it is finished).

- Adam

Timo

Thank you Mark, IPGrunt, and Adam for the help! Back running now.
Wiping sweat from brow,
Timo