urgent help needed: aspx standard controls not being rendered as html at runtime

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Timo, Feb 19, 2005.

  1. Timo

    Timo Guest

    Over the weekend, I am installing a website on a laptop so our sales staff
    can give a demonstration on Monday at a potential client site. Things are
    not working as expected. I'm hoping what's wrong will be apparent from the
    symptoms below.

    I created a virtual directory beneath the Default Web Site using the wizard.
    I have set the execute permission on the Default Web Site (and directories
    beneath it) to Script. If I run iisstart.asp in the browser, the page comes
    up saying the web service is running. IIS 5.1.

    Plain vanilla HTML docs are being served up without a problem:

    http://localhost/mywebapp/hello.htm --- okay

    But http://localhost/mywebapp/howdy.aspx -- there is a problem. The aspx
    controls are not being converted to HTML. It's as though the aspx rendering
    engine is not running.

    Howdy.aspx contains an asp:Label, an asp:Textbox, and an asp:Button.
    When I type the URL into the browser, the page loads, but only the label
    shows. When I examine the HTML source code in the browser, it reads:

    <asp:Label ....
    <asp:Textbox...
    <asp:Button ...

    The aspx is still "raw" and unprocessed. The page source should show this:

    <input name="TextBox1 ... etc
    <input type="submit" name="Button1"...etc

    Why are the ASPX controls not being rendered?
    The laptop is running WinXP Pro SP2.

    Thanks
    Timo

    Timo, Feb 19, 2005

  2. Timo

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Timo" <> wrote in message

    > Over the weekend, I am installing a website on a laptop so our sales staff
    > can give a demonstration on Monday at a potential client site. Things are
    > not working as expected. I'm hoping what's wrong will be apparent from the
    > symptoms below.

    Are the web services running?

    Pop a command prompt, type "net start w3svc" (without the quotes) and press
    Enter.

    Mark Rae, Feb 19, 2005

  3. Timo

    IPGrunt Guest

    On 19 Feb 2005, "Timo" <> postulated in

    > Over the weekend, I am installing a website on a laptop so our

    sales staff
    > can give a demonstration on Monday at a potential client site.

    Things are
    > not working as expected. I'm hoping what's wrong will be apparent

    from the
    > symptoms below.
    >
    > I created a virtual directory beneath the Default Web Site using

    the wizard.
    > I have set the execute permission on the Default Web Site (and

    directories
    > beneath it) to Script. If I run iisstart.asp in the browser, the

    page comes
    > up saying the web service is running. IIS 5.1.
    >
    > Plain vanilla HTML docs are being served up without a problem:
    >
    > http://localhost/mywebapp/hello.htm --- okay
    >
    > But http://localhost/mywebapp/howdy.aspx -- there is a problem.

    The aspx
    > controls are not being converted to HTML. It's as though the aspx

    rendering
    > engine is not running.
    >
    > Howdy.aspx contains an asp:Label, an asp:Textbox, and an

    asp:Button.
    > When I type the URL into the browser, the page loads, but only the

    label
    > shows. When I examine the HTML source code in the browser, it

    reads:

    > <asp:Label ....
    > <asp:Textbox...
    > <asp:Button ...
    >
    > The aspx is still "raw" and unprocessed. The page source should

    show this:

    > <input name="TextBox1 ... etc
    > <input type="submit" name="Button1"...etc
    >
    > Why are the ASPX controls not being rendered?
    > The laptop is running WinXP Pro SP2.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Timo

    Is the .net framework installed and are the application mappings
    correct in IIS? This is where the isapi dll mapping to process the
    aspx file occurs.

    An easy way to tell:

    run %SystemRoot%\System32\inetsrv\iis.msc
    (called Internet Information Services in the CPL)

    navigate to your virtual dir, right click to select Properties.

    In the Virtual directory panel, click Configuration button, look in
    the Mappings panel. You should see a listing like:

    | .aspx | c:\Win\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.1.4XX\aspnet_isapi.dll |
    GET,HEAD,POST

    -- ipgrunt

    IPGrunt, Feb 19, 2005
  4. RE: urgent help needed: aspx standard controls not being rendered as h

    Sounds like you installed the .NET framework before adding IIS (or something
    got messed up during the .NET install). If you haven't already, try this:

    c:\<SystemDir>\Microsoft.NET\Framework\<Version>\aspnet_regiis.exe -i

    Where <SystemDir> is the windows directory and <Version> is whatever version
    of the framework you have installed (most likely v1.1.4322).

    On my system, this looks like:

    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe -i

    After that, the page should start showing up (you may need to reboot your
    machine after running this if it doesn't work as soon as it is finished).

    - Adam

    =?Utf-8?B?QWRhbSBCeXJhbQ==?=, Feb 20, 2005
  5. Timo

    Timo Guest

    Re: urgent help needed: aspx standard controls not being rendered as h

    Thank you Mark, IPGrunt, and Adam for the help! Back running now.
    Wiping sweat from brow,
    Timo

    Timo, Feb 20, 2005