Urgent help needed

fj

Windows 2003 Server. IIS 6.0
Website is running in separate application pool.

I keep getting timeout problem. and the CPU is max 25%. The calculation runs
more than 15 minutes. I tried to check CPU monitoring option for the
application pool and I set to MAX 100% CPU usage. It didn't help. CPU is
still 25%. I didn't restart the server though. There is no time to rewrite
the code to improve performance.

Thanks
-fj

Bob Barrows [MVP]

fj said:
Windows 2003 Server. IIS 6.0
Website is running in separate application pool.

I keep getting timeout problem. and the CPU is max 25%. The
calculation runs more than 15 minutes. I tried to check CPU
monitoring option for the application pool and I set to MAX 100% CPU
usage. It didn't help. CPU is still 25%. I didn't restart the server
though. There is no time to rewrite the code to improve performance.
The solution depends on the source of your timeout. See:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2366

Dave Anderson

fj said:
I keep getting timeout problem. and the CPU is max 25%. The
calculation runs more than 15 minutes. I tried to check CPU
monitoring option for the application pool and I set to MAX
100% CPU usage. It didn't help. CPU is still 25%. I didn't
restart the server though.

You can certainly bump your timeout higher. I used to have a process that
ran for over an hour at a time, due to a third-party component (the current
version still takes over 30 minutes). I set the ScriptTimeout to 4 hours,
which IIS took without complaint.

If the issue is incomplete use of resources, perhaps you should heed the
words of Eric Lippert:

"If you care about maximizing performance, using a late-bound
unoptimized bytecode-interpreted dynamically-typed language
is probably a bad choice"

There is no time to rewrite the code to improve performance.

If you are waiting 15 minutes between runs, I'd say you have nothing *but*
time.

fj

The error I got is a blank page. It's not a ASP
"The page cannot be displayed, ......

Cannot find server or DNS Error"

The log didn't show the time-taken field correctly.

One thing I noticed is the default website setting, Connection timeout is
set to 10,000.that's almost 3 hours. And the HTTP keep alive is checked.

BTW, I still need to know how to increase the CPU utilization for IIS.

Thanks

-fj

Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP]

BTW, I still need to know how to increase the CPU utilization for IIS.

Does your machine have four CPUs, or two dual-core/hyper-threaded CPUs?

A process that requires a single thread can only ever take 25% of the total
CPU power of such a machine.

fj

There are 4 CPUs. So if one CPU is 100% loaded, the total usage will be 25%,
is it right?

Is that's the case is there an easy way to utilize more than one CPU?

Thanks,
fj

Dave Anderson

top.
bottom
from
read
not
do
conversations
sentences,
Like
toppost.
not
do
Please
The error I got is a blank page. It's not a ASP
"The page cannot be displayed, ......

If you are getting THOSE at other times, you ought to start here:
http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/genera...internal-server-error-for-all-asp-errors.html

"Friendly Error HTTP Messages" are like the "Clean Forests Initiative". Both
bear names that mean the opposite.

Cannot find server or DNS Error"

The log didn't show the time-taken field correctly.

By default, log times are in UTC. Adjust for your offset.

One thing I noticed is the default website setting,
Connection timeout is set to 10,000.that's almost 3
hours. And the HTTP keep alive is checked.

This is the wrong approach. The default should be much shorter, like 60. Use
Server.ScriptTimeout only when you need to:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/iissdk/html/429c1800-7d19-4011-a1ca-482a43b1abef.asp

BTW, I still need to know how to increase the CPU utilization for IIS.

IIS will use as much as it needs.

Dave Anderson

fj said:
There are 4 CPUs. So if one CPU is 100% loaded, the total usage
will be 25%, is it right?

Is that's the case is there an easy way to utilize more than one
CPU?

Not in pure ASP. Didn't read the advice from Eric Lippert, did you?

Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP]

There are 4 CPUs. So if one CPU is 100% loaded, the total usage will be
25%, is it right?

Yes, that math looks correct.
Is that's the case is there an easy way to utilize more than one CPU?

ASP does not support multi-threading. What exactly are you doing that pegs
the CPU and for so long? This doesn't sound normal, never mind desirable.

fj

--
Dave Anderson

Unsolicited commercial email will be read at a cost of $500 per message.
Use of this email address implies consent to these terms.

Sorry for the top posting.

It's ASP.net 1.143. It's not Asp. All code is using code behind.
What the code does is to create very complex invoice and convert it to the
final format user choose to. It create business object first and serialize
into XML and then use style sheet to convert.

I was able to get the intermediate XML file pretty fast, about 50 seconds.
The last step takes for ever. However, when I test the xslt conversion using
the XML data file and stylesheet in XMLSpy and Visual Studio, I get very
fast response. The code doesn't seem to have obvious flaw.

The Server has 4 Xeon 3.2G CPUs and 2G memory. When the blank page shows,
the memory usage for w3wp.exe is about 150M.

Any help?

-fj

Bob Barrows [MVP]

fj said:
It's ASP.net 1.143. It's not Asp.

recommended practice) , but this is a classic asp newsgroup. ASP.Net bears
very little resemblance to classic ASP so, while you may be lucky enough to
find a dotnet-knowledgeable person here who can answer your question, you
can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a group where
those dotnet-knowledgeable people hang out. I suggest