    the code to improve performance.

    Thanks
    -fj
    fj, Aug 22, 2006

  2. fj wrote:
    > Windows 2003 Server. IIS 6.0
    > Website is running in separate application pool.
    >
    > I keep getting timeout problem. and the CPU is max 25%. The
    > calculation runs more than 15 minutes. I tried to check CPU
    > monitoring option for the application pool and I set to MAX 100% CPU
    > usage. It didn't help. CPU is still 25%. I didn't restart the server
    > though. There is no time to rewrite the code to improve performance.

    The solution depends on the source of your timeout. See:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2366

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Aug 22, 2006

  3. fj wrote:
    > I keep getting timeout problem. and the CPU is max 25%. The
    > calculation runs more than 15 minutes. I tried to check CPU
    > monitoring option for the application pool and I set to MAX
    > 100% CPU usage. It didn't help. CPU is still 25%. I didn't
    > restart the server though.

    You can certainly bump your timeout higher. I used to have a process that
    ran for over an hour at a time, due to a third-party component (the current
    version still takes over 30 minutes). I set the ScriptTimeout to 4 hours,
    which IIS took without complaint.

    If the issue is incomplete use of resources, perhaps you should heed the
    words of Eric Lippert:

    "If you care about maximizing performance, using a late-bound
    unoptimized bytecode-interpreted dynamically-typed language
    is probably a bad choice"

    > There is no time to rewrite the code to improve performance.

    If you are waiting 15 minutes between runs, I'd say you have nothing *but*
    time.

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Aug 22, 2006
  4. fj

    fj Guest

    The error I got is a blank page. It's not a ASP
    "The page cannot be displayed, ......

    Cannot find server or DNS Error"

    The log didn't show the time-taken field correctly.

    One thing I noticed is the default website setting, Connection timeout is
    set to 10,000.that's almost 3 hours. And the HTTP keep alive is checked.

    BTW, I still need to know how to increase the CPU utilization for IIS.

    Thanks

    -fj

    fj, Aug 22, 2006
  5. > BTW, I still need to know how to increase the CPU utilization for IIS.

    Does your machine have four CPUs, or two dual-core/hyper-threaded CPUs?

    A process that requires a single thread can only ever take 25% of the total
    CPU power of such a machine.

    Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP], Aug 22, 2006
  6. fj

    fj Guest

    There are 4 CPUs. So if one CPU is 100% loaded, the total usage will be 25%,
    is it right?

    Is that's the case is there an easy way to utilize more than one CPU?

    Thanks,
    fj

    fj, Aug 22, 2006
  7. top.
    bottom
    from
    read
    not
    do
    conversations
    sentences,
    Like
    toppost.
    not
    do
    Please

    fj wrote:
    > The error I got is a blank page. It's not a ASP
    > "The page cannot be displayed, ......

    If you are getting THOSE at other times, you ought to start here:
    http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/genera...internal-server-error-for-all-asp-errors.html

    "Friendly Error HTTP Messages" are like the "Clean Forests Initiative". Both
    bear names that mean the opposite.

    > Cannot find server or DNS Error"
    >
    > The log didn't show the time-taken field correctly.

    By default, log times are in UTC. Adjust for your offset.

    > One thing I noticed is the default website setting,
    > Connection timeout is set to 10,000.that's almost 3
    > hours. And the HTTP keep alive is checked.

    This is the wrong approach. The default should be much shorter, like 60. Use
    Server.ScriptTimeout only when you need to:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/iissdk/html/429c1800-7d19-4011-a1ca-482a43b1abef.asp

    > BTW, I still need to know how to increase the CPU utilization for IIS.

    IIS will use as much as it needs.

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Aug 22, 2006
  8. fj wrote:
    > There are 4 CPUs. So if one CPU is 100% loaded, the total usage
    > will be 25%, is it right?
    >
    > Is that's the case is there an easy way to utilize more than one
    > CPU?

    Not in pure ASP. Didn't read the advice from Eric Lippert, did you?

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Aug 22, 2006
  9. > There are 4 CPUs. So if one CPU is 100% loaded, the total usage will be
    > 25%, is it right?

    Yes, that math looks correct.

    > Is that's the case is there an easy way to utilize more than one CPU?

    ASP does not support multi-threading. What exactly are you doing that pegs
    the CPU and for so long? This doesn't sound normal, never mind desirable.

    Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP], Aug 22, 2006
  10. fj

    fj Guest

    > top.
    > bottom
    > from
    > read
    > not
    > do
    > conversations
    > sentences,
    > Like
    > toppost.
    > not
    > do
    > Please
    >
    > fj wrote:
    >> The error I got is a blank page. It's not a ASP
    >> "The page cannot be displayed, ......

    > If you are getting THOSE at other times, you ought to start here:
    > http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/genera...internal-server-error-for-all-asp-errors.html
    >
    > "Friendly Error HTTP Messages" are like the "Clean Forests Initiative".
    > Both bear names that mean the opposite.
    >

    >> Cannot find server or DNS Error"
    >>
    >> The log didn't show the time-taken field correctly.

    > By default, log times are in UTC. Adjust for your offset.
    >

    >> One thing I noticed is the default website setting,
    >> Connection timeout is set to 10,000.that's almost 3
    >> hours. And the HTTP keep alive is checked.

    > This is the wrong approach. The default should be much shorter, like 60.
    > Use Server.ScriptTimeout only when you need to:
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/iissdk/html/429c1800-7d19-4011-a1ca-482a43b1abef.asp
    >

    >> BTW, I still need to know how to increase the CPU utilization for IIS.

    > IIS will use as much as it needs.
    >

    > --
    > Dave Anderson

    > Use of this email address implies consent to these terms.

    Sorry for the top posting.

    It's ASP.net 1.143. It's not Asp. All code is using code behind.
    What the code does is to create very complex invoice and convert it to the
    final format user choose to. It create business object first and serialize
    into XML and then use style sheet to convert.

    I was able to get the intermediate XML file pretty fast, about 50 seconds.
    The last step takes for ever. However, when I test the xslt conversion using
    the XML data file and stylesheet in XMLSpy and Visual Studio, I get very
    fast response. The code doesn't seem to have obvious flaw.

    The Server has 4 Xeon 3.2G CPUs and 2G memory. When the blank page shows,
    the memory usage for w3wp.exe is about 150M.

    Any help?

    -fj
    fj, Aug 22, 2006
  11. fj wrote:
    > "Dave Anderson" <> wrote in message

    <snip>>
    > It's ASP.net 1.143. It's not Asp.

    recommended practice) , but this is a classic asp newsgroup. ASP.Net bears
    very little resemblance to classic ASP so, while you may be lucky enough to
    find a dotnet-knowledgeable person here who can answer your question, you
    can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a group where
    those dotnet-knowledgeable people hang out. I suggest

    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Aug 23, 2006