Urgent! Inconsistent execution of Page_Load() method call

Itai

Background:

I have four Web Form pages with respective C# code behind files,
all in the same project:

localhost/vpath1

Page1.aspx
Page2.aspx

Localhost/vpath2

Page3.aspx
Page4.aspx

I am encountering two issues with respect to Page1.aspx and Page3.aspx
Page_Load() method execution.

Case no.1:

Page1.aspx has five Webcontrols: 4 DropDownList and 1 Button

DropDownList1 is set to auto post back on "SelectedIndexChanged" and
populates DropDownList2 with appropriate entries.

DropDownList3 is set to auto post back on "SelectedIndexChanged" and
populates DropDownList4 with appropriate entries.

Button submits the form and redirects to Page2.aspx on (Page.IsValid)
using Response.Redirect

The problem:

Setting *** Trace = "true" *** in Page1.aspx, putting a breakpoint on
its Page_Load() and running the page in debug mode results in the
following behavior:

1. Debugger stops on Page1.Page_Load() - press cont. –
2. Change DropDownList1
3. Debugger stops on Page1.Page_Load() - press cont. –
4. Change DropDownList3
5. Debugger stops on Page1.Page_Load() - press cont. –
6. Click Button
7. Debugger stops on Page1.Page_Load() - press cont. –
8. Page2.aspx displays
9. Press browser Back button
10. Debugger stops on Page1.Page_Load() - press cont. –
11. Page1.aspx displays

Setting *** Trace = "false" *** in Page1.aspx, putting a breakpoint on
its Page_Load() and running the page in debug mode results in the
following behavior:

1. Debugger stops on Page1.Page_Load() - press cont. –
2. Change DropDownList1
3. Debugger stops on Page1.Page_Load() - press cont. –
4. Change DropDownList3
5. Debugger stops on Page1.Page_Load() - press cont. –
6. Click Button
7. Debugger stops on Page1.Page_Load() - press cont. –
8. Page2.aspx displays
9. Press browser Back button
10. Page1.aspx displays (No debugger stop on Page1.Page_Load() )

Case no.2:

Page3.aspx has 3 Webcontrols: 2 DropDownList and 1 Button

DropDownList1 is set to auto post back on "SelectedIndexChanged" and
populates DropDownList2 with appropriate entries.

Button submits the form and redirects to Page4.aspx on (Page.IsValid)
using Response.Redirect

The problem:

Setting *** Trace = "true" *** in Page3.aspx, putting a breakpoint on
its Page_Load() and running the page in debug mode results in the
following behavior:

1. Debugger stops on Page3.Page_Load() - press cont. –
2. Change DropDownList1
3. Debugger stops on Page3.Page_Load() - press cont. –
4. Click Button
5. Debugger stops on Page3.Page_Load() - press cont. –
6. Page4.aspx displays
7. Press browser Back button
8. Browser displays the following message:

"Warning: Page has Expired The page you requested was created using
information you submitted in a form. This page is no longer available.
As a security precaution, Internet Explorer does not automatically
resubmit your information for you.

To resubmit your information and view this Web page, click the Refresh
button."

Setting *** Trace = "false" *** in Page3.aspx, putting a breakpoint on
its Page_Load() and running the page in debug mode results in the
following behavior:

1. Debugger stops on Page3.Page_Load() - press cont. –
2. Change DropDownList1
3. Debugger stops on Page3.Page_Load() - press cont. –
4. Click Button
5. Debugger stops on Page3.Page_Load() - press cont. –
6. Page4.aspx displays
7. Press browser Back button
8. Page3.aspx displays (No debugger stop on Page3.Page_Load() )

Can anyone explain this behavior, I'm quite desperate?

Thanks in advance,

-Itai.

p.s

All pages have "this.Load += new System.EventHandler(this.Page_Load);"
properly set in InitializeComponent()

* I'm using IE 6sp1

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Itai,

It's impossible to say for sure without examining your configuration.
However, I'd say the following is the issue:

Case no 1:
The page is being cached. Therefore, it is not being executed and the
breakpoint is not being hit. This is normal.

Case no 2:
See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;183763.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
Microsoft Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

Itai

Ok, so I added <%@ OutputCache Location="None" %> under the @Page
directive for Page1.aspx which seems to prevent IE from caching the
page thus, the debugger stops on page_load() regardless of the Trace
setting (case no.1 now shows a consistent behavior). I just wonder
why I explicitly need to disable OutputCache if I have never
explicitly enabled it and why this server-side caching feature can
affect client side caching behavior.

I also added <%@ OutputCache Location="None" %> under the @Page
directive for Page3.aspx however, what happens now is that regardless
of Trace setting I get the browser error message after hitting the
Back button

"Warning: Page has Expired
The page you requested was created using information you submitted in
a form…."

So, now case no.2 shows a consistent behavior but *not a correct one*
as I expect it to behave exactly as case no.1 (debugger stops on
Page_load() ).

I tried adding the following code as per kb183763 suggestion but it
does not work in my case.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;183763

<%
Response.CacheControl="public";
Response.Expires=0;
Response.AddHeader("pragma", "no-cache");
%>

Itai

More on case no.1
*****************

I Added <%@ OutputCache Location="None" %> under the @Page directive
for Page1.aspx which seems to prevent IE from caching the page thus,
the debugger stops on page_load() regardless of the Trace setting

Sum: case no.1 now shows a consistent behavior after hitting the back
button.

HTTP trace response for Page1.aspx using <%@ OutputCache
Location="None" %>

RESPONSE:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.1
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 08:31:04 GMT

I just wonder why I explicitly need to disable OutputCache if I never
had explicitly enabled it and why does this server-side caching
feature (OutputCache) affects client side caching behavior (IE cache).

More on case no.2
*****************

I added <%@ OutputCache Location="None" %> under the @Page directive
for Page3.aspx however, what happens now is that regardless of the
Trace setting
I get the following browser error message, after hitting the back
button

"Warning: Page has Expired
The page you requested was created using information you submitted in
a form…."

So, now case no.2 shows an invalid but consistent behavior regardless
of the Tarce settings. I expect it to behave exactly as in case no.1
(the debugger should stop on Page3.Page_load()after hitting the back
button ).

I tried adding the following code to Page3.aspx as per kb183763,
despite the fact that in case no.1 (Page1.aspx) it does not require it
to work properly, nevertheless adding the code still does not solve
the problem.

<%Response.CacheControl="public";%>

HTTP response trace for Page3.aspx using:
<%@ OutputCache Location="None" %>

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 08:14:20 GMT

Itai,

It's impossible to say for sure without examining your configuration.
However, I'd say the following is the issue:

Case no 1:
The page is being cached. Therefore, it is not being executed and the
breakpoint is not being hit. This is normal.

Case no 2:
See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;183763.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
Microsoft Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Regarding case 1, it doesn't matter how you accomplish it, you need to
prevent the client from hitting a cached copy if you want to page to
execute. The default for OutputCache is Any. If you want to change the
default, you need to do so explicitly.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that OutputCache is only server-side
caching. The documentation on the directive will give you more
information, but suffice it to say that the default setting of Any
specifies that the page can be cached on any device that is capable of
caching content. Therefore, unless the browser is set to not cache the
page, it will be cached on the client.

Regarding case 2, what happens is this. When you click the Back button, IE
is looking for the page in the Temporary Internet Files folder. If it
doesn't find the page, it displays that message. The reason why it's not
finding that page is because you have set the OutputCache with a location
of None. That causes the page to not be cached.

From: (e-mail address removed) (Itai)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
Subject: Re: Urgent! Inconsistent execution of Page_Load() method call
Date: 5 Aug 2004 00:07:03 -0700

More on case no.1
*****************

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 08:14:20 GMT

(e-mail address removed) (Jim Cheshire [MSFT]) wrote in message
Itai,

It's impossible to say for sure without examining your configuration.
However, I'd say the following is the issue:

Case no 1:
The page is being cached. Therefore, it is not being executed and the
breakpoint is not being hit. This is normal.

Case no 2:
See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;183763.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
Microsoft Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

Itai

Ok, I think I am able to pinpoint what causes the problem in case
no.2.
I have identified it to be related to the Page3 custom validation
controls and validation summary control

Following are exact repro steps.

Repro:

1. Set breakpoint on Page3.aspx Page_Load()
2. Run Page3.aspx in debug mode
3. [Debugger stops on Page3.Page_Load()] – press cont.
4. Press submit button
5. [Debugger stops on Page3.Page_Load()] – press cont.
6. Page4.aspx displays
7. Press Back button
8. Page3.aspx displays //
9. [Debugger stops on Page3.Page_Load()] – press cont.

// Up until now everything ok.

9. Perform an illegal selection in Page3.aspx (in my test
environment it's just selecting a value in the DropDownList which is
out of range for a custom validation control – specifics are
meaningless,I just use it to raise an error for the test)

10. Press submit button
11. [Debugger stops on Page3.Page_Load()] – press cont
12. Page3 displays the validation summary error
// here is where I think the root of the problem.

13. Reset the DropDownList to a valid value.
14. Press submit button
15. [Debugger stops on Page3.Page_Load()] – press cont.
// validation passes ok
16. Page4.aspx displays
17. Press Back button
18. Browser displays the following error

"Warning: Page has Expired
The page you requested was created using information you submitted in
a form…."

I need to be able to get back to Page3.Page_Load()! (Like in step 9)

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Itai,

The reason IE displays that message is that it cannot find the requested
resource in Temporary Internet Files. In the case yesterday, it was
because you had manipulated the OutputCache and set it to None.

From: (e-mail address removed) (Itai)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
Date: 5 Aug 2004 22:08:26 -0700

[...]

Well, the whole Repro was done using <%@ OutputCache Location="None"
%>
So how do you explain things to work properly through steps 2 - 9?
(see repro below)

I mean if a page is not in the cache then the browser should attempt
reconnect to the server and re-fetch the page.

[Summary of steps 2 – 9]

1. Page3.aspx displays (IE does not cache the page)
2. Page4.aspx displays after Page3 submit
3. Page3.aspx displays after hitting the back button although it was
not cached initially. [IE Re fetches the page from the server]

What I assume is the following:

In step 12, where the browser displays Page3.aspx with the validations
summary error it actually logs the response as "Dynamic Page3.aspx -
When I re-post the page with valid parameters the server instructs the
browser to redirect to Page4.aspx however the browser still remembers
that the last response was to a "dynamically generated page". Thus,
when I hit the back button it looks in the cache for "Dynamic
Page3.aspx - in response to a post" and *not* for "Page3.aspx" which
results in the error page:

"Warning: Page has Expired
The page you requested was created using information you submitted in
a form..."

Is that a correct analysis?

Repro:
******
1. Set breakpoint on Page3.aspx Page_Load()
2. Run Page3.aspx in debug mode
3. [Debugger stops on Page3.Page_Load()] ? press cont.
4. Press submit button
5. [Debugger stops on Page3.Page_Load()] ? press cont.

[ everything works ok from here ]
[...]

I'm not sure what else I can tell you other than the reason you are seeing
that message. If the page is not in Temporary ASP.NET Files, it will
display that message. The page was the result of a POST. Therefore, you
have to repost the data explicitly to see the page again.

From: (e-mail address removed) (Itai)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
Date: 6 Aug 2004 23:01:08 -0700

[...]

Ahhh. Good workaround. Thank for posting that.

From: (e-mail address removed) (Itai)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
Date: 9 Aug 2004 21:26:36 -0700

Mystery solved using smartNavigation as detailed in the following
post:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----
From: Steven Cheng[MSFT] ([email protected])
Subject: RE: How to prevent Postback URL's from being added to browser
history
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
Date: 2004-01-15 21:34:13 PST

http://groups.google.co.in/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=waTZJJ$2DHA. 432%40cpmsftngxa08.phx.gbl&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DRE%253A%2BHow%2Bto%2Bpr
event%2BPostback%2BURL%27s%2Bfrom%2Bbeing%2Badded%2Bto%2Bbrowser%2Bhistory%2
6ie%3DUTF-8%26hl%3Den%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch
----

Thanks anyway,

-Itai.