URGENT: Please Help. Losing requests through struts program randomly

jmhill

I have a problem with a struts program that appears to be occuring
randomly much more lately than it did before(if at all!)

The problem appears to be losing it's request values while in the
middle of a struts program flow. For example, I have a flow set up to
navigate thru 4-5 screens, however, after 2nd, 3rd(usually) or 4th
screen, the flow will sometimes navigatate back to the beginning as if
stuck in a loop. The reason is because the action value is being reset
as null which then assumes it is the first time into the program thus
looping. It's like the flow is sometimes 'losing' its request
parameters for no reason. Now, the fact that this is happening
randomly is perplexing as well.

The architecture is as follows. Load Balancer--->web
server(apache)(weblogic apache plugin)-->application server(weblogic
6.0)

Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas why this would be
happening?? THanks

Matt Parker

jmhill said:
[...]

Stupid question, but is your load balancer set to only balance on the first
request? In other words, after a user has been assigned an individual
web-server, are they guaranteed to always return to the same one for the
duration of the session? If not, this may be your problem since you will be
losing the session ID if you server hop.

Matt

jmhill

Matt,
That's a good thought but we're not losing the session. I'm still able
to follow the user through the logs plus the server still retains the
actual action path. It seems it's only losing the request parameters
involved with the flow process such as any variables entered or
set(i.e. action = submit becomes action = null).

I'm also seeing this problem on our staging server which doesn't
involve the load balancer. Only 1 webserver and 1 application server.

The problem persists with server restarts.

[...]

Well, finally figured it out on my own. Thanks to Bill Gate's security
hotfix there is an inherit problem posting requests. At least we're
able to have a server side workaround. Any one interested in reading
about it the article is

Good luck

jmhill

Yeah nos, it was urgent. When you run a production application over
the web with 100 000+ paying customers using this app and they're
apparently losing requests in mid flow for no reason, it becomes
urgent! Not that anyone was able to help but i thought it would be
nice to share how the issue was resolved in case anyone else had a
similar experience. Obviously you'd understand if you had to manage
any systems like that instead of just surfing for posts to mouth off
to.