    How can I change the color of text output by printf? Are there special \
    control characters?

    Quick answer appreciated, thanks.
    Andy, May 29, 2010

  2. Andy

    Eric Sosman Guest

    On 5/29/2010 5:40 PM, Andy wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > How can I change the color of text output by printf? Are there special \
    > control characters?
    >
    > Quick answer appreciated, thanks.

    This is Question 19.4 on the comp.lang.c Frequently Asked
    Questions (FAQ) page at <http://www.c-faq.com/>.

    It's always a good idea to read the FAQ before posting, and
    in this case you'd have had your answer considerably sooner had
    you done so ...

    --
    Eric Sosman
    lid
    Eric Sosman, May 29, 2010

  3. Andy

    spinoza1111 Guest

    On May 30, 5:48 am, Eric Sosman <> wrote:
    > On 5/29/2010 5:40 PM, Andy wrote:
    >
    > > Hi

    > > How can I change the color of text output by printf? Are there special \
    > > control characters?

    > > Quick answer appreciated, thanks.

    >      This is Question 19.4 on the comp.lang.c Frequently Asked
    > Questions (FAQ) page at <http://www.c-faq.com/>.
    >
    >      It's always a good idea to read the FAQ before posting, and
    > in this case you'd have had your answer considerably sooner had
    > you done so ...
    >
    > --
    > Eric Sosman

    The cite only re-asks the question. The answer is that C does not give
    the OP a way but certain control characters may have effects over and
    above C that can color text. These can be entered with control
    characters and may be documented in the reference manual for the OP's
    printer. Alternatively, he may have to learn post-script or Rich Text
    Format codes.

    Format codes can send anything, not just printable characters, to
    printers. Depending on the make and model, the printer may do many
    different things: print colors, skip to the next page without printing
    anything, jam, refuse to print documents until Kingdom Come or a cold
    reboot, or catch fire. It all depends on the manufacturer, although in
    recent years, Postscript has become standard. Rotsa ruck rearning
    postscript: it is a completely stack based Reverse Polish language if
    memory serves.

    The whole philosophy of "FAQ" is micro-Fascism, since it pretends that
    dialogue, of which questions are a part, is a waste of time. I for one
    am sick to death of the attitude that understanding can be reified.

    C is not old Basic in which various compiler-interpreters gave the
    programmer the ability to draw crude colored pictures and tootle
    monophonic songs. C, considered as a demiurge, does not care about the
    color of characters.
    spinoza1111, May 30, 2010
  4. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Eric Sosman writes:
    > On 5/29/2010 5:40 PM, Andy wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> How can I change the color of text output by printf? Are there special
    >> \ control characters?
    >>
    >> Quick answer appreciated, thanks.

    > This is Question 19.4 on the comp.lang.c Frequently Asked
    > Questions (FAQ) page at <http://www.c-faq.com/>.
    >
    > It's always a good idea to read the FAQ before posting, and
    > in this case you'd have had your answer considerably sooner had you done
    > so ...

    OK, but this FAQ is completely useless on this point for Windows users.
    Actually, looking through it, most of it seems outdated, aimed at DOS/
    ancient versions of Unix. I don't think I'll bother with it as a first
    port of call, thanks very much.

    Answer to my original question still needed! Win32 console application.
    Andy, May 30, 2010
  5. Andy

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <htug6h$i9r$>,
    Andy <> wrote:

    > Eric Sosman writes:
    > > On 5/29/2010 5:40 PM, Andy wrote:
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> How can I change the color of text output by printf? Are there special
    > >> \ control characters?
    > >>
    > >> Quick answer appreciated, thanks.

    > > This is Question 19.4 on the comp.lang.c Frequently Asked
    > > Questions (FAQ) page at <http://www.c-faq.com/>.
    > >
    > > It's always a good idea to read the FAQ before posting, and
    > > in this case you'd have had your answer considerably sooner had you done
    > > so ...

    > OK, but this FAQ is completely useless on this point for Windows users.
    > Actually, looking through it, most of it seems outdated, aimed at DOS/
    > ancient versions of Unix. I don't think I'll bother with it as a first
    > port of call, thanks very much.
    >
    > Answer to my original question still needed! Win32 console application.

    Have you asked on a Windows NG?

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, May 30, 2010
  6. Andy

    Ian Collins Guest

    On 05/31/10 08:01 AM, Andy wrote:
    > Eric Sosman writes:
    >> On 5/29/2010 5:40 PM, Andy wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> How can I change the color of text output by printf? Are there special
    >>> \ control characters?
    >>>
    >>> Quick answer appreciated, thanks.

    >> This is Question 19.4 on the comp.lang.c Frequently Asked
    >> Questions (FAQ) page at<http://www.c-faq.com/>.
    >>
    >> It's always a good idea to read the FAQ before posting, and
    >> in this case you'd have had your answer considerably sooner had you done
    >> so ...

    > OK, but this FAQ is completely useless on this point for Windows users.

    Because "this point" is beyond the scope of standard C.

    > Actually, looking through it, most of it seems outdated, aimed at DOS/
    > ancient versions of Unix. I don't think I'll bother with it as a first
    > port of call, thanks very much.

    Then you are ignoring a useful resource.

    > Answer to my original question still needed! Win32 console application.

    So ask on a windows group.

    --
    Ian Collins
    Ian Collins, May 30, 2010
  7. Andy <> writes:
    > Eric Sosman writes:
    >> On 5/29/2010 5:40 PM, Andy wrote:
    >>> How can I change the color of text output by printf? Are there special
    >>> \ control characters?
    >>>
    >>> Quick answer appreciated, thanks.

    >> This is Question 19.4 on the comp.lang.c Frequently Asked
    >> Questions (FAQ) page at <http://www.c-faq.com/>.
    >>
    >> It's always a good idea to read the FAQ before posting, and
    >> in this case you'd have had your answer considerably sooner had you done
    >> so ...

    > OK, but this FAQ is completely useless on this point for Windows users.
    > Actually, looking through it, most of it seems outdated, aimed at DOS/
    > ancient versions of Unix. I don't think I'll bother with it as a first
    > port of call, thanks very much.
    >
    > Answer to my original question still needed! Win32 console application.

    This is not a Windows group. There is no C answer to your question;
    the C language doesn't define any way to change the color of output
    characters; C runs on many systems that have no such capability.
    The FAQ provides some system-specific examples, but it can't
    provide all of them.

    I wouldn't be surprised if some of the suggestions in the FAQ actually
    worked on Windows, but I couldn't tell you for sure.

    I suggest asking in comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32.

    Nokia
    Keith Thompson, May 30, 2010
  8. Andy

    Eric Sosman Guest

    On 5/30/2010 4:01 PM, Andy wrote:
    > Eric Sosman writes:
    >> On 5/29/2010 5:40 PM, Andy wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> How can I change the color of text output by printf? Are there special
    >>> \ control characters?
    >>>
    >>> Quick answer appreciated, thanks.

    >> This is Question 19.4 on the comp.lang.c Frequently Asked
    >> Questions (FAQ) page at<http://www.c-faq.com/>.
    >>
    >> It's always a good idea to read the FAQ before posting, and
    >> in this case you'd have had your answer considerably sooner had you done
    >> so ...

    > OK, but this FAQ is completely useless on this point for Windows users.

    It's surprising to learn that all those Windows implementations
    of curses have disappeared. They used to roam the wide prairies in
    their millions, shooting buffalo and eating passenger pigeons. But
    now, you say, they've gone extinct while I wasn't looking. Sad.

    > I don't think I'll bother with it as a first
    > port of call, thanks very much.

    Fair enough. For my part, I won't answer next time you ask a
    question that's in the FAQ.

    --
    Eric Sosman
    lid
    Eric Sosman, May 30, 2010
  9. Andy

    Tim Harig Guest

    On 2010-05-30, Andy <> wrote:
    > Eric Sosman writes:
    >> On 5/29/2010 5:40 PM, Andy wrote:
    >>> How can I change the color of text output by printf? Are there special
    >>> \ control characters?
    >>>
    >>> Quick answer appreciated, thanks.

    >> This is Question 19.4 on the comp.lang.c Frequently Asked
    >> Questions (FAQ) page at <http://www.c-faq.com/>.
    >>
    >> It's always a good idea to read the FAQ before posting, and
    >> in this case you'd have had your answer considerably sooner had you done
    >> so ...

    I will start by warning you that this question is asked a *lot* and is
    therefore a signal that whoever is asking hasn't really done much research
    to solve thre problem for themselves. Most people don't like to
    continually answer the same questions over and over again. They wrote it
    once and it usually doesn't take much to google for the answer.

    You should also know that adding "urgent" to your subject will almost
    always cause you grief and make getting your answer anything but brief.
    Mostly, it just tends to piss people off. This may come as a revelation to
    you; but, your problems are no more important then any body elses. In
    fact, because of the way that you asked your question, we tend to feel that
    it is less relevant.

    > OK, but this FAQ is completely useless on this point for Windows users.

    No, as has already been pointed out, it told you enough to know that C does
    very little to handle platform specific features. The question you are
    asking is *not* specifically C related.

    > Actually, looking through it, most of it seems outdated, aimed at DOS/
    > ancient versions of Unix. I don't think I'll bother with it as a first
    > port of call, thanks very much.

    You didn't specify Windows in your original post. If you are not getting
    the answers that you were expecting, then you need to change the way you
    are asking your question. If you haven't already seen this URL many times,
    your method for asking questions is likely to cause many to point you to
    it:

    > Answer to my original question still needed! Win32 console application.

    1. I have already mentioned that Google would have given you your answer
    quite easily:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=win32 console color

    2. Since this is a Microsoft product, I would have suggested looking there
    first. You can get almost any information that you need from their
    MSDN website. In your case:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682010(v=VS.85).aspx
    Tim Harig, May 30, 2010
  10. Andy

    Tim Harig Guest

    Extinct? http://pdcurses.sourceforge.net/
    Tim Harig, May 30, 2010
  11. Andy <> writes:
    > Eric Sosman writes:
    >> On 5/29/2010 5:40 PM, Andy wrote:
    >>> How can I change the color of text output by printf? Are there special
    >>> \ control characters?
    >>>
    >>> Quick answer appreciated, thanks.

    >> This is Question 19.4 on the comp.lang.c Frequently Asked
    >> Questions (FAQ) page at <http://www.c-faq.com/>.
    >>
    >> It's always a good idea to read the FAQ before posting, and
    >> in this case you'd have had your answer considerably sooner had you done
    >> so ...

    > OK, but this FAQ is completely useless on this point for Windows users.
    > Actually, looking through it, most of it seems outdated, aimed at DOS/
    > ancient versions of Unix. I don't think I'll bother with it as a first
    > port of call, thanks very much.

    Most of the FAQ is aimed at standard C, and it's an excellent
    resource for that purpose. For system-specific questions, you
    should use system-specific resources.

    > Answer to my original question still needed! Win32 console application.

    If your question was so "urgent", perhaps you should have mentioned
    the platform in the first place. The answers you got were perfectly
    appropriate for the question you actually asked (which didn't
    mention Windows or Win32).

    Suggested reading: <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>.

    Nokia
    Keith Thompson, May 30, 2010
  12. Andy

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <htul1i$8b3$-september.org>,
    Eric Sosman <> wrote:

    > On 5/30/2010 4:01 PM, Andy wrote:
    > > Eric Sosman writes:

    > >> This is Question 19.4 on the comp.lang.c Frequently Asked
    > >> Questions (FAQ) page at<http://www.c-faq.com/>.
    > >>
    > >> It's always a good idea to read the FAQ before posting, and
    > >> in this case you'd have had your answer considerably sooner had you done
    > >> so ...

    > > OK, but this FAQ is completely useless on this point for Windows users.

    > It's surprising to learn that all those Windows implementations
    > of curses have disappeared. They used to roam the wide prairies in
    > their millions, shooting buffalo and eating passenger pigeons. But
    > now, you say, they've gone extinct while I wasn't looking. Sad.

    Windows is going extinct? Best news I've heard in a coon's age.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, May 30, 2010
  13. In article <htul1i$8b3$-september.org>,
    Eric Sosman <> wrote:
    > Fair enough. For my part, I won't answer next time you ask a
    >question that's in the FAQ.

    And we'll all be happier for that. Thank you.

    --
    Just for a change of pace, this sig is *not* an obscure reference to
    comp.lang.c...
    Kenny McCormack, May 30, 2010
  14. Andy

    Lew Pitcher Guest

    Lew Pitcher, May 30, 2010
  15. Andy

    Tom St Denis Guest

    On May 30, 10:12 am, spinoza1111 <> wrote:
    > The cite only re-asks the question. The answer is that C does not give
    > the OP a way but certain control characters may have effects over and
    > above C that can color text. These can be entered with control
    > characters and may be documented in the reference manual for the OP's
    > printer. Alternatively, he may have to learn post-script or Rich Text
    > Format codes.

    Strictly speaking the C spec doesn't guarantee that a console even
    exist. In fact in many conforming platforms there isn't any TTY
    interface whatsoever.

    > The whole philosophy of "FAQ" is micro-Fascism, since it pretends that
    > dialogue, of which questions are a part, is a waste of time. I for one
    > am sick to death of the attitude that understanding can be reified.

    Which is ironic given your post contributed nothing to the dialogue
    other than to state your childish distaste for process. *there there*
    we've all heard you, now you can go sit down and be quiet for a
    while. The adults are talking.

    > C is not old Basic in which various compiler-interpreters gave the
    > programmer the ability to draw crude colored pictures and tootle
    > monophonic songs. C, considered as a demiurge, does not care about the
    > color of characters.

    That's about the only true thing in the post (I mean come on, you even
    post under a pseudonym, so that's saying something).

    Tom
    Tom St Denis, May 31, 2010
  16. Andy

    spinoza1111 Guest

    On May 31, 6:14 am, Tim Streater <> wrote:
    > In article <htul1i$-september.org>,
    >  Eric Sosman <> wrote:

    > > > OK, but this FAQ is completely useless on this point for Windows users.

    > >      It's surprising to learn that all those Windows implementations
    > > of curses have disappeared.  They used to roam the wide prairies in
    > > their millions, shooting buffalo and eating passenger pigeons.  But
    > > now, you say, they've gone extinct while I wasn't looking.  Sad.

    > Windows is going extinct? Best news I've heard in a coon's age.

    "Coon's age?" Hey Bubba, that's a racist expression.

    spinoza1111, May 31, 2010
  17. Andy

    spinoza1111 Guest

    On May 31, 10:12 am, Tom St Denis <> wrote:
    > On May 30, 10:12 am, spinoza1111 <> wrote:
    >
    > > The cite only re-asks the question. The answer is that C does not give
    > > the OP a way but certain control characters may have effects over and
    > > above C that can color text. These can be entered with control
    > > characters and may be documented in the reference manual for the OP's
    > > printer. Alternatively, he may have to learn post-script or Rich Text
    > > Format codes.

    > Strictly speaking the C spec doesn't guarantee that a console even
    > exist.  In fact in many conforming platforms there isn't any TTY
    > interface whatsoever.
    >
    > > The whole philosophy of "FAQ" is micro-Fascism, since it pretends that
    > > dialogue, of which questions are a part, is a waste of time. I for one
    > > am sick to death of the attitude that understanding can be reified.

    > Which is ironic given your post contributed nothing to the dialogue
    > other than to state your childish distaste for process.  *there there*
    > we've all heard you, now you can go sit down and be quiet for a
    > while.  The adults are talking.
    >
    > > C is not old Basic in which various compiler-interpreters gave the
    > > programmer the ability to draw crude colored pictures and tootle
    > > monophonic songs. C, considered as a demiurge, does not care about the
    > > color of characters.

    > That's about the only true thing in the post (I mean come on, you even
    > post under a pseudonym, so that's saying something).

    I'd rephrase that. It's the only part you've understood.

    spinoza1111, May 31, 2010
  18. Andy

    spinoza1111 Guest

    On May 31, 5:43 am, Tim Harig <> wrote:
    > On 2010-05-30, Andy <> wrote:
    >
    > > Eric Sosman writes:

    > >>      This is Question 19.4 on the comp.lang.c Frequently Asked
    > >> Questions (FAQ) page at <http://www.c-faq.com/>.

    > >>      It's always a good idea to read the FAQ before posting, and
    > >> in this case you'd have had your answer considerably sooner had you done
    > >> so ...

    > I will start by warning you that this question is asked a *lot* and is
    > therefore a signal that whoever is asking hasn't really done much research
    > to solve thre problem for themselves.  Most people don't like to
    > continually answer the same questions over and over again.  They wrote it
    > once and it usually doesn't take much to google for the answer.

    There was no answer at the cite.

    Every question, when asked, is a different question. To treat it as an
    FAQ shows a weary contempt for humanity. Teachers and parents answer
    "stupid" questions repeatedly as part of a conversation every day.

    The reification (in which a concept is treated as a thing) in the
    notion of FAQ is ultimately a form of victimization: one FAQ answer is
    based on an incoherent document (C: the Complete Nonsense), written by
    a person without qualifications which attempted to destroy a personal
    reputation.

    The purpose of the FAQ site is to show that unix, an OS developed in
    1970, is still a viable model, especially in its modern rewrite,
    linux, which was essentially stolen from the author of Minix.

    spinoza1111, May 31, 2010
  19. Andy

    Tom St Denis Guest

    On May 30, 10:35 pm, spinoza1111 <> wrote:
    > I'd rephrase that. It's the only part you've understood.

    It must be really convenient to live in world where you make up both
    sides of conversations.

    Tom
    Tom St Denis, May 31, 2010
  20. Andy

    spinoza1111 Guest

    On May 31, 6:51 pm, Tom St Denis <> wrote:
    > On May 30, 10:35 pm, spinoza1111 <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'd rephrase that. It's the only part you've understood.

    > It must be really convenient to live in world where you make up both
    > sides of conversations.

    Well, "it's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it". I'm saying that
    the process is wrong; if "maturity" means accepting rules which cannot
    be questioned, then I'm glad to be "childish". The whole idea of FAQs
    is a lazy way of sending newbies on their way at best. Here, the
    administrative requirement is satisfied by an "answer" to the OP's
    question which is not an answer at all.

    It rests upon an illusion: that a "question" is always part of a
    dialog with only one possible reply. It also omits the possibility
    that the person is smarter than the collective administrative
    apparatus, which is almost never true by way of the law of "least
    common denominator".

    Furthermore, like most administrative systems, that of the C FAQ
    incorporates bias, here, in favor of unix and against "Windows" in a
    way that fails to acknowledge the fact that "Windows", unlike unix,
    has been more able to evolve BECAUSE it was such garbage in the past.

    Windows 1.0 was a nightmare and a joke; we had great fun at Bell
    Northern Research watching it stagger along trying to show us
    "windows". Microsoft took the money from unsuspecting users with
    enough 286 gear to make 1.0 run half acceptably and proceeded to
    improve the product (that's called capitalism and even Marx would
    approve). As a result, today's "Windows" incorporates lessons not
    found in unix, which precisely because it was so great in 1970 has
    failed to evolve, whether as unix, or as Linux. It's the phenomenon of
    technical "leapfrog"...such as in China, whose rail system is vastly
    superior to that of the US and which is on the verge of introducing
    "Shanghai to London in two days by rail" within the next 20 years.

    Linux and unix, no matter what release, are the same thing, whereas
    Windows 7 is completely unlike Windows 3.1.

    Worse, FAQs incorporate complete nonsense. Steve Summit's original FAQ
    appears to have identified Schildt as "wrong on C" based on Seebach's
    ridiculous tirade.

    FAQs belittle people and trivialize things, like help desks.

    spinoza1111, May 31, 2010