Urgent.. prob w/ Datagrid edit button

slinky

I had a successfully deployed datagrid reading an XML file and
showing the data:

Private Function MakeDataView() as DataView
Dim myDataSet As New DataSet()
myDataSet.ReadXml(Server.MapPath("TimberSales.xml"))
Dim view As DataView = New DataView(myDataSet.Tables(0))
view.AllowDelete = False
view.AllowEdit = True
view.AllowNew = False
view.Sort = "Year ASC"
Return view
End Function

Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)
Dim view as DataView = MakeDataView()
dgTimber.DataSource = view
dgTimber.AllowSorting = True
dgTimber.DataBind()
End Sub

I wanted to add an "Edit" button as desribed at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa984288(VS.71).aspx:

Private Sub dgTimber_EditCommand(ByVal source As Object, _
ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridCommandEventArgs) _
Handles dgTimber.EditCommand
dgTimber.EditItemIndex = e.Item.ItemIndex
dgTimber.DataBind()
End Sub

Dim newData As String
Dim aTextBox As TextBox
aTextBox = CType(e.Item.Cells(1).Controls(0), TextBox)
**** says "aTextBox" is not declared, (?)
newData =
aTextBox.Text **** says
"newData" is not declared, (?)

Private Sub dgTimber_UpdateCommand(ByVal source As Object, _
ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridCommandEventArgs) _
Handles dgTimber.UpdateCommand
Dim quantityCell As TableCell = e.Item.Cells(6)
Dim quantityBox As TextBox = _
CType(quantityCell.Controls(0), TextBox)
Dim quantity As Integer =
System.Int32.Parse(quantityBox.Text)
dgTimber.EditItemIndex = -1
dgTimber.DataBind()
End Sub

When I hit the Edit Button I get this:

Invalid postback or callback argument. Event validation is
enabled
using <pages enableEventValidation="true"/>
in configuration or <%@ Page EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a
page. For security purposes, this feature ....etc.

Does anything obvious stabd out as the potential probelm? Thank You!

slinky

Thanks... that worked... now I need to write an event handler for the
buttons:

My code within the datagrid describes the buttons:

<asp:EditCommandColumn ButtonType="PushButton"
CancelText="Cancel"
EditText="Edit" UpdateText="Update"
CausesValidation="false"></asp:EditCommandColumn>

I'm having difficulty following the tutorial's association with this
dg's button and this code:

Private Sub dgTimber_EditCommand(ByVal source As Object, _
ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridCommandEventArgs) _
Handles dgTimber.EditCommand
dgTimber.EditItemIndex = e.Item.ItemIndex
dgTimber.DataBind()
End Sub

Private Sub dgTimber_UpdateCommand(ByVal source As Object, _
ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridCommandEventArgs) _
Handles dgTimber.UpdateCommand
Dim quantityCell As TableCell = e.Item.Cells(6)
Dim quantityBox As TextBox = _
CType(quantityCell.Controls(0), TextBox)
Dim quantity As Integer =
System.Int32.Parse(quantityBox.Text)
dgTimber.EditItemIndex = -1
dgTimber.DataBind()
End Sub

Basically what I want is when I hit the edit button a textbox
displays below the datagrid and the users can type in the new info and
the button will change to Update upon which pressing that will write
the constents of the textbox to the database (and a postback refresh
will show the updated info).