urgent query

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by anuruchi@yahoo.com, Jun 9, 2006.

  1. Guest

    if I want to add (merge) two excel file using perl script, how can i do
    that.
    like
    excel 1
    ======
    name|city|number|
    aa a 123
    dd d 111
    excel 2
    ======
    name|city|number|
    an la 1l23
    dn ld 11l1

    merge excel =
    -==========
    name|city|number|
    aa a 123
    dd d 111
    an la 1l23
    dn ld 11l1

    Thanks in advance

    , Jun 9, 2006

  2. Paul Lalli Guest

    wrote:
    > if I want to add (merge) two excel file using perl script, how can i do
    > that.

    First off, putting "urgent" in your subject is not going to get you
    faster better help. Quite the contrary. It is seen as rude by many
    people. Please refrain from doing so in the future.

    Second, please put the subject of your post in the Subject of your
    post. Your post was not about an "urgent query", it was about merging
    excel files.

    Third, you have demonstrated absolutely no attempt at solving your
    problem. If you have tried any code that has failed, what have you
    tried? If you don't even know where to begin, where have you tried
    looking?

    Please read the posting guidelines for this group at your earliest
    convenience. They are posted here twice a week.

    Finally, my advice is to go to http://search.cpan.org and search for
    "Excel". See if any of the returned modules look like they might be
    helpful. Then make an attempt to write your code. If it does not work
    as you desire, post a short-but-complete script that demonstrates both
    your attempt and its failure.

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Jun 9, 2006

    wrote:
    > if I want to add (merge) two excel file using perl script, how can i do
    > that.
    > like

    Why bother with Perl? Just open both files in Excel and saved the
    merged workbook.

    Or, if you don't like that, import the two files into Access and write
    a query to merge them.

    Or, if you use some variety of Unix, you can merge the files using the
    command of the same name, or use vi to do it, or even awk.

    CC

    , Jun 9, 2006
  4. <> wrote:
    > if I want to add (merge) two excel file using perl script, how can i do
    > that.
    > like
    > excel 1
    >======
    > name|city|number|
    > aa a 123
    > dd d 111
    > excel 2
    >======
    > name|city|number|
    > an la 1l23
    > dn ld 11l1
    >
    > merge excel =
    > -==========
    > name|city|number|
    > aa a 123
    > dd d 111
    > an la 1l23
    > dn ld 11l1

    cp excel1 merge_excel; tail +2 excel2 >>merge_excel

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Jun 9, 2006