URGENT : SERVER APPLICATION UNAVAILABLE

Richard Støen

Please help!

We suddenly started getting the following error message when we try to run
any asp.net web application on the web server :

Server Application Unavailable
The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser
to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server.
Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

We have tries almost every possible work-around found in different
news-groups, with no success.

Any suggestions?

Deepak Kumar Vasudevan

What was the message that is being logged in the system Event log

Start -> Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer (Application) for ASP.NET

Deepak Kumar Vasudevan
(e-mail address removed)

Please help!

We suddenly started getting the following error message when we try to run
any asp.net web application on the web server :

Server Application Unavailable
The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser
to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server.
Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

We have tries almost every possible work-around found in different
news-groups, with no success.

Any suggestions?

?

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Richard_St=F8en?=

There was nothing logged in the event-log. That's the problem.

We are considering re-installing IIS and .NET Framework.

[...]

Yusuf D M

I was also facing same problem with my .NET Web Apps. I changed userName
attribute to SYSTEM in the <processModel> section of the Machine.config file
on my machine.

It worked for me.

Steven Campbell

Richard said:
Please help!

We suddenly started getting the following error message when we try to run
any asp.net web application on the web server :

Server Application Unavailable
The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser
to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server.
Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

We have tries almost every possible work-around found in different
news-groups, with no success.

Any suggestions?
You need to understand what the cause of the error is to be able to fix
it. I suggest that you can do your own logging (using global.asax), or
turn on tracing for the application, or turn the custom error display on
using the web.config. (Try the last one first).

Ian Varley

Thanks Yusuf - I started getting this error message today right after
installing the latest security patch from Microsoft, and changing this
setting in the Machine.Config file cleared it up.

Now ... can anyone please inform me what I need to do to switch the
setting back? Should we expect another communique from MS on this one?

Ian

Guest

Make that ditto, likewise.

Same problem after doing the same Windows Automatic Update this morning,
productivity restored after the same solution.

Of course, the solution is a hack, for which I express my thanks to Yusuf
for sending it.

Like Ian, I await with interest Microsoft's patch on the patch.

And by the by, before rummaging through this highly esteemed and fried
newsgroup for suggestions, I attempted a slight variation on the theme
(taking a hint from a vaguely related discussion on the support.microsoft
pages) whereby I set the userName value to ASPNET (a auto-installed
identity), and then added ASPNET to the localhosts administrator group.

Those steps earned me a stack overflow. Hhhmmmm ......

Thanks again to this threads contributors.

Larry

www.dytech.com.au

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Richard,

A lot of experienced people have already provided many valuable
suggestions. Have you checked the following Knowledge Base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315158

You have also mentioned that you will try a reinstalling. Does it resolve
the problem?

If the problem still occurs, please try the following steps:

1. Please delete the ASPNET account using Computer Management.

a) Select Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Local
Users and Groups->Users
b) In the right pane, right click the ASPNET account and select "Delete"

2. Please refer to the following Knowledge Base article carefully to repair
IIS mapping.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306005

3. Please restart IIS.

a) Select Start->Run¡­
b) Type the command "iisreset"

4. Restart the computer and test this issue again.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support
<MCSD>

Timothy M Hodgson

I had the same problem after installing the .NET Framework 1.0 SP2 and
the J# redist. The problem only appeared after restarting IIS. Maybe
this means that machine.config is changed, or ....

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi,

As I understand, the problem in this thread is:

After installing the Windows Updates, we started getting the following
error message when we try to run any asp.net web application on the web
server :

Server Application Unavailable
The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser
to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
request failure can be found in the system event log of the web server.
Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

There are some similar reports for this issue in this group. Currently the
resolutios are:

1. Change userName attribute to SYSTEM in the <processModel> section of
the Machine.config.

2. Give the ASPNET account the permissions it requires:

1) Open Windows Explorer, navigate to \Documents and Settings
2) If the "LocalService" directory is NOT visible, you need to choose
"Folder Options" from the "Tools" menu. Then you need to ensure that under
the "View" tab, protected OS files are NOT hidden
3) Continue on to \Documents and Settings\LocalService
4) Right-click on the "Local Settings" folder, then select "Sharing and
Security".
5) In the "Security" tab, "Add" the "ASPNET" user, and make sure it has
"Read" and "List Folder Contents" permissions.
6) "Apply", "OK", .... etc until all windows closed.

Does it answer your question? If I have misunderstood your concern, please
let me know.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support
<MCSD>

Jason \(MFT1\)

I am using WindowsXP pro and don't have a "security" tab on this step:
5) In the "Security" tab, "Add" the "ASPNET" user, and make sure it has
"Read" and "List Folder Contents" permissions.

What gives?

I did find that just changing the setting as specified in this step
corrected the problem:
1. Change userName attribute to SYSTEM in the <processModel> section of
the Machine.config.

Any long term issues of just taking the step 1. fix and not the others?

Scott Guthrie \(MSFT\)

Hi Jason,

The Server Application Unavailable issue you are seeing right now is related
to an issue with the latest IE security patch on Windows XP Pro and IIS 5.1
when using ASP.NET v1.0.

This page has a description of the problem, as well as a workaround you can
apply immediately:

http://www.asp.net/faq/ms03-32-Issue.aspx

Note that while elevating the ASP.NET worker process to SYSTEM will fix the
problem (which is the suggestion below), it is not recommended. Instead,
use the fix described in the above article -- it will fix the problem while
keeping your worker process running with the same account.

Thanks,

Scott