urgent server side question

Green

Hi,
I have a problem confuses me for awhile that i have a web application
(asp.net) which requires without postback will still get the information
from the server. For instance, i want to update the time from the server. I
heard like server side javascript, but i don't know how to do it. And even
on some web site they have stock information refreshed every few minutes
without even post back the whole page, how do they do it?

Any ideas?
~thx.

Lucas Tam

Hi,
I have a problem confuses me for awhile that i have a web
application
(asp.net) which requires without postback will still get the
information from the server. For instance, i want to update the time
from the server. I heard like server side javascript, but i don't know
how to do it. And even on some web site they have stock information
refreshed every few minutes without even post back the whole page, how
do they do it?

You can do it a couple ways:

1. Client side applet (i.e. Java or UserControls hosted in IE)
2. Using Client side Javascript + MSXML HTTP
3. Using ASP.NET 2.0 and client side callbacks

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Green,

As for your problem, I think Lucas's suggestions are reasonable.
1. Using a rich .net winform control in IE will need the clientside also
have .net framework installed and provide the proper security policy to
allow your control to run.

2. JAVASCRIPT+msxml, this is widely used since we don't require the
clientside to install any particular component. Also, microsoft has
provided a IE WebService HTC components based on (script and MSXML) which
can help calling webservice via client script without post back page to
serverside.
Here is the reference on it in MSDN:

#Using the WebService Behavior
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/webservic
e/using.asp

3. In addtion, we can also use a embeded hidden frame (or iframe) which
contains a page which constantly postback to serverside to get the latest
datas so as to refresh its parent page's UI.

Hope also helps. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support