Urgent.... Smooth Refresh

Bryan Young

I am trying to smoothly refresh a page on an interval. I am using
setInterval to set this up. When the interval expires, I do a
document.form.submit(). When this line of code runs, Internet Explorer
crashed with exception code 0xc0000005 mshtml.dll at address
0x000000007d55833f. This is IE 6 SP2 on Windows XP with all the latest
patches installed. The same thing happens on Windows 2003 Server. See
sample code below. Any ideas?

Bryan Young
(e-mail address removed)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>monitor</TITLE>
<BASE TARGET="main">
<META CONTENT="Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 7.1" NAME="GENERATOR">
<META CONTENT="Visual Basic .NET 7.1" NAME="CODE_LANGUAGE">
<META CONTENT="JavaScript" NAME="vs_defaultClientScript">
<META CONTENT="http://schemas.microsoft.com/intellisense/ie5"
NAME="vs_targetSchema">
<LINK HREF="Styles.css" TYPE="text/css" REL="stylesheet">
</HEAD>
<BODY MS_POSITIONING="FlowLayout">
<script language="javascript">
var timer;
function setupinterval()
{
timer = window.setInterval('reload()', 5000);
}

function reload()
{
document.frmMonitor.submit();
}
</script>
<FORM ID="frmMonitor" METHOD="post" RUNAT="server">
<INPUT type="button" value="Button" language="javascript"
onclick="setupinterval()">
</FORM>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Bryan Young

Thanks for the sales pitch.... Anyone else have any suggestions why IE is
crashing?

Jeff @ Dart

Your code works fine for me (IE 6 SP2).

Have you checked out the many KB articles on MSDN when you search for
"0xc0000005" AND "mshtml.dll"?

But, again, your approach will not produce a smooth refresh. If you
aren't interested in our product, Google "remote scripting" as an
alternative approach.

Jeff @ Dart

Your code works fine for me.

Search for "0xc0000005 mshtml.dll" on MSDN, there are several bugs
listed which are probably applicable to your problem.

But again, it will not be the smooth refresh you requested. If you
aren't interested in our product, search for "remote scripting" on
Google.