URGENT: Strange Prob With Web.config <<identity> section.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Sonal, Nov 26, 2004.

  1. Sonal

    Sonal Guest

    I am trying to impersonate user with windows account.

    If I write following lines in web.config it show error
    <identity impersonate="true" userName="contoso\Jane" password="pass"/>

    ERROR:
    Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web
    server. Server side-error occurred on sending debug HTTP request.

    Make sure the server is operating correctly. Verify there are no syntax
    errors in web.config by doing a Debug.Start Without Debugging. You may also
    want to refer to the ASP.NET and ATL Server debugging topic in the online
    documentation.

    On the other hand if i just write like this then error goes aways and
    application starts running...

    <identity impersonate="true" userName="" password=""/>

    I am wondering what is wrong. can any one guide.

    Sonal, Nov 26, 2004

  2. Sonal

    mortb Guest

    My guess is that the \ causes the problem perhaps replacing it with a /
    would help

    mortb, Nov 26, 2004

  3. Sonal

    gg Guest

    You need to give contoso\Jane full read and WRITE permissions in the .net
    framework directory on the web server (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework)
    and also perhaps in the webs root directory.

    gg, Nov 26, 2004
  4. Sonal

    Sonal Guest

    HI Again,

    I located the exact error... How can I resolve This.

    Server Error in '/MTest' Application.
    ----

    Configuration Error

    Parser Error Message: Error reading the password from the registry.

    Source Error:

    Line 86: <identity impersonate="true"
    userName="registry:HKLM\Software\MyASP.NET\Identity\ASPNET_SETREG,userName"
    password="registry:HKLM\Software\MyASP.NET\Identity\ASPNET_SETREG,passwd"/>
    Line 87:
    Line 88: </system.web>

    Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\MTest\web.config Line: 86

    ----
    Version:1.1.4322.573

    Sonal, Nov 26, 2004