Urgent: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the ser

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by VB Programmer, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. When I run my ASP.NET 2.0 web app on my dev machine it works perfect. When
    I precomile it to my web deployment project and then copy the debug files to
    my web server I get this problem when trying to login (obviously it's using
    ASPNETDB.mdf). Any ideas?

    Server Error in '/' Application.

    Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the
    operation or the server is not responding.

    Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The
    timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is
    not responding.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [SqlException (0x80131904): Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed
    prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.]
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException
    exception, Boolean breakConnection) +684835
    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject
    stateObj) +207
    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(Boolean& useFailoverPartner,
    Boolean& failoverDemandDone, String host, String failoverPartner, String
    protocol, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean
    encrypt, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean
    aliasLookup) +890
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection
    owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword,
    Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +601
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(SqlConnectionString
    connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection
    owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +159
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions
    options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection
    owningConnection) +108
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection
    owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) +28
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection
    owningObject) +445
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection
    owningObject) +66
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection
    owningObject) +304
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection
    owningConnection) +85
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection
    outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +111
    System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHolder.Open(HttpContext context,
    Boolean revertImpersonate) +126
    System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.GetConnection(String
    connectionString, Boolean revertImpersonation) +239
    System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.GetPasswordWithFormat(String
    username, Int32& status, String& password, Int32& passwordFormat, String&
    passwordSalt, Int32& failedPasswordAttemptCount, Int32&
    failedPasswordAnswerAttemptCount, Boolean& isApproved) +815
    System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPassword(String username,
    String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean
    failIfNotApproved, String& salt, Int32& passwordFormat) +80
    System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPassword(String username,
    String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean
    failIfNotApproved) +42
    System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.ValidateUser(String username,
    String password) +78
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnAuthenticate(AuthenticateEventArgs e)
    +161
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AttemptLogin() +94
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e)
    +101
    System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +35
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +115
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
    +134
    eventArgument) +7
    sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
    includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5670

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50215.44; ASP.NET
    Version:2.0.50215.44

    VB Programmer, Jan 16, 2006

  2. VB Programmer

    john smith Guest

    Re: Urgent: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior tocompletion of the operation or the server is not responding.

    VB Programmer wrote:
> [...]
    > System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AttemptLogin() +94
    > System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e)
    > +101
    > System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +35
    > System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +115
    > System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
    > +134
    > System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String
    > eventArgument) +7
    > System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler
    > sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
    > System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33
    > includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5670

    > Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50215.44; ASP.NET

    Sounds like it can't connect to the database. Are you sure it has
    connectivity, that the server is up and running fine, and that the
    connection string/configuration is good and all?

    john smith, Jan 16, 2006

  3. The webserver is up and running because I have several sites running on
    there.

    Here is my connectionstring...
    <connectionStrings>
    <add name="MyMainDatabase" connectionString="Data
    Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\ASPNETDB.MDF;Integrated
    Security=True;User Instance=True"
    providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
    </connectionStrings>

    It's the same as on my dev machine which works perfectly. Any idea?
    Thanks!

    VB Programmer, Jan 16, 2006
  4. My hosting company states that they do not support SQL Express, but they
    said they would setup a SQL 2005 database.

    Does this make sense? What do they need to install for me to use the SQL
    Express MDF?

    VB Programmer, Jan 16, 2006
  5. VB Programmer

    bunty Guest

    Re: Urgent: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

    hi!
    add "connection timeout=60;" where 60 is time in minutes. add this
    string in connection string of sqlcommand (ado.net)

    bunty

    bunty, Jan 24, 2006