URI question

Discussion in 'XML' started by Jon Noring, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. Jon Noring

    Jon Noring Guest

    I am considering a custom URI scheme which identifies various
    resources, such as id's, within a coherent set of multiple XML
    documents using the query component.

    I was told that the syntax I'm considering is not valid per RFC 2396
    (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt), or some other related spec. I
    am mystified, but then I am not well-versed in URIs.

    Here's one example of the syntax being considered:

    myscheme:/A123456789?docid=abc987

    myscheme : name of my custom URI scheme

    A123456789 : unique identifier associated with a coherent set of XML
    documents and resources of other media types

    docid=abc987 : The query which points to the element with ID="abc987"
    in one of the XML documents of the set (it is assumed
    all attribute values of type ID are unique across the
    entire set of XML documents.)

    If the above syntax is invalid for some reason, I would like to know
    why, and suggestions for an alternative syntax which would be valid.

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    Jon Noring

    Jon Noring, Jul 3, 2003

  2. "Jon Noring" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I am considering a custom URI scheme which identifies various
    > resources, such as id's, within a coherent set of multiple XML
    > documents using the query component.
    >
    > I was told that the syntax I'm considering is not valid per RFC 2396
    > (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt), or some other related spec. I
    > am mystified, but then I am not well-versed in URIs.
    >
    > Here's one example of the syntax being considered:
    >
    > myscheme:/A123456789?docid=abc987
    >
    > myscheme : name of my custom URI scheme

    Note that if you define a new URI scheme and plan to use it in generally
    available software, you'll have to register it with the IETF (which is
    likely to come back to you and ask why you need it).

    > A123456789 : unique identifier associated with a coherent set of XML
    > documents and resources of other media types
    >
    > docid=abc987 : The query which points to the element with ID="abc987"
    > in one of the XML documents of the set (it is assumed
    > all attribute values of type ID are unique across the
    > entire set of XML documents.)
    >

    > If the above syntax is invalid for some reason, I would like to know
    > why, and suggestions for an alternative syntax which would be valid.

    If the scheme-specific part starts with a "/", the URI needs to be a
    hierarchical URI as defined in:

    http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2396.html#rfc.section.3

    > Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    Why don't you just use an existing scheme such as HTTP, for instance:

    http://noring.name/xmlident/A123456789?docid=abc987
    `
    ?

    Regards, Julian