URI question

Jon Noring

I am considering a custom URI scheme which identifies various
resources, such as id's, within a coherent set of multiple XML
documents using the query component.

I was told that the syntax I'm considering is not valid per RFC 2396
(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt), or some other related spec. I
am mystified, but then I am not well-versed in URIs.

Here's one example of the syntax being considered:

myscheme:/A123456789?docid=abc987

myscheme : name of my custom URI scheme

A123456789 : unique identifier associated with a coherent set of XML
documents and resources of other media types

docid=abc987 : The query which points to the element with ID="abc987"
in one of the XML documents of the set (it is assumed
all attribute values of type ID are unique across the
entire set of XML documents.)

If the above syntax is invalid for some reason, I would like to know
why, and suggestions for an alternative syntax which would be valid.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Jon Noring

Julian F. Reschke

Jon Noring said:
I am considering a custom URI scheme which identifies various
resources, such as id's, within a coherent set of multiple XML
documents using the query component.

I was told that the syntax I'm considering is not valid per RFC 2396
(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt), or some other related spec. I
am mystified, but then I am not well-versed in URIs.

Here's one example of the syntax being considered:

myscheme:/A123456789?docid=abc987

myscheme : name of my custom URI scheme

Note that if you define a new URI scheme and plan to use it in generally
available software, you'll have to register it with the IETF (which is
likely to come back to you and ask why you need it).
A123456789 : unique identifier associated with a coherent set of XML
documents and resources of other media types

docid=abc987 : The query which points to the element with ID="abc987"
in one of the XML documents of the set (it is assumed
all attribute values of type ID are unique across the
entire set of XML documents.)

If the above syntax is invalid for some reason, I would like to know
why, and suggestions for an alternative syntax which would be valid.

If the scheme-specific part starts with a "/", the URI needs to be a
hierarchical URI as defined in:

http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2396.html#rfc.section.3
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Why don't you just use an existing scheme such as HTTP, for instance:

http://noring.name/xmlident/A123456789?docid=abc987
`
?

Regards, Julian