URL as input -> "IOError: [Errno 2] The system cannot find the path specified"

Gilles Ganault

Hello

I'm trying to use urllib to download web pages with the GET method,
but Python 2.5.1 on Windows turns the URL into something funny:

========
url = "amazon.fr/search/index.php?url=search"

[...]

IOError: [Errno 2] The system cannot find the path specified:
'amazon.fr\\search\\index.php?url=search'

f = urllib.urlopen(url)
========

Any idea why it does this?

Thank you.

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

I'm trying to use urllib to download web pages with the GET method, but
Python 2.5.1 on Windows turns the URL into something funny:

========
url = "amazon.fr/search/index.php?url=search"

This "URL" lacks the protocol! Correct would be http://amazon.fr… (I
guess).
[...]

IOError: [Errno 2] The system cannot find the path specified:
'amazon.fr\\search\\index.php?url=search'

Without protocol it seems that the 'file://' protocol is used and there
is no such file on your system.

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch