URL encoding japanese characters

Discussion in 'HTML' started by sunilp, Nov 28, 2006.

  1. sunilp

    sunilp Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a problem related to frame src URL and japanese characters.
    My application contains a Frameset/frames and we set frames's src based
    on numerous conditions.

    Sometimes this URL contains a few request parameters.Currently i m
    testing for japanese characters in request parameters.

    I have set the character-set of all web pages as "UTF-8".(Using
    content-type meta tag).

    Also i have made changes in filter(servlet filter) of my application to
    set the set the character encoding to "UTF-8". But still i get garbled
    data at server side.

    If the japanese character data is submitted through forms then i get
    correct data at server side, but when i set the src of frame then i get
    corrupt data at server side.

    Are there any other setting to be made?Or is there any other way to
    encode this data?
    I have tried using escape and encodeURIComponent.Both didnt work.

    (Please note: I m using IE6.Application is j2ee application deployed on
    JBOSS).
    Thanks in advance.
    ~Sunil
    sunilp, Nov 28, 2006

  2. Scripsit sunilp:

    > I have a problem related to frame src URL and japanese characters.

    Stop using frames, to start with.

    > Sometimes this URL contains a few request parameters.Currently i m
    > testing for japanese characters in request parameters.

    Probably this problem has nothing to do with frames. This is one reason for
    stopping using frames: there is one source of problems less, so it is easier
    to identify where the problem is.

    > I have set the character-set of all web pages as "UTF-8".(Using
    > content-type meta tag).

    You should use HTTP headers for setting the encoding ("charset"). In the
    absence of any URL, we cannot know whether you in fact have HTTP headers
    that override the meta hacks (tags).

    But irrespectively of such issues, the URL _should_ be % encoded after
    representing it in UTF-8, by the current protocols. This is defined handling
    of URLs, independently of the internal encoding of documents. On the other
    hand, browsers are known to fail to comply with this relatively new
    approach.

    > If the japanese character data is submitted through forms then i get
    > correct data at server side, but when i set the src of frame then i
    > get corrupt data at server side.

    That's understandable, because form submission may work differently from URL
    handling in browsers. So why don't you use forms?

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 28, 2006

  3. sunilp

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "sunilp" <>
    vouchsafed:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a problem related to frame src URL and japanese characters.
    > My application contains a Frameset/frames and we set frames's src based
    > on numerous conditions.
    >
    > Sometimes this URL contains a few request parameters.Currently i m
    > testing for japanese characters in request parameters.
    >
    > I have set the character-set of all web pages as "UTF-8".(Using
    > content-type meta tag).
    >
    > Also i have made changes in filter(servlet filter) of my application to
    > set the set the character encoding to "UTF-8". But still i get garbled
    > data at server side.
    >
    > If the japanese character data is submitted through forms then i get
    > correct data at server side, but when i set the src of frame then i get
    > corrupt data at server side.
    >
    > Are there any other setting to be made?Or is there any other way to
    > encode this data?
    > I have tried using escape and encodeURIComponent.Both didnt work.

    Besides the individual (src) pages, is your frames page correctly encoded,
    and does it have an appropriate doctype?

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.
    Neredbojias, Nov 28, 2006