    to encode "normal problematic" characters like space and &. But what do I
    have to do with these non-ASCII characters?

    Thanks.
    Hugo, Aug 27, 2007

  2. Scripsit Hugo:

    > how do I have to encode non-ASCII characters like German Umlaute? I
    > know how to encode "normal problematic" characters like space and &.
    > But what do I have to do with these non-ASCII characters?

    Some browsers may support a URL encoding that is based on ISO-8859-1 or some
    other assumed default, so that you would represent an Umlaut letter as an
    octet (byte) by ISO-8859-1 and then encode the result as %xx where xx is the
    code in hexadecimal.

    However, the modern and official method is based on UTF-8. You first
    represent an Umlaut letter as two octets by UTF-8, then encode both as %xx.