    equivelent widget that works for URL syntax?

    Thanks!
    -Robert

    Robert M. Gary, Jan 31, 2006

  2. Robert M. Gary

    Chris Smith Guest

    Robert M. Gary <> wrote:
    > I would like to modify my project to allow customers to specify
    > configuration files with URL syntax rather than straight files to allow
    > more flexibility in accessing remote configuration options. On my
    > server side all worked very well but the GUI guys are not sure how to
    > approach this. I don't have much of any experience on the GUI side of
    > Java myself. I guess they are currently using a FileChooser widget to
    > allow the customer to choose the configuration file. Is there an
    > equivelent widget that works for URL syntax?

    It's called JOptionPane.showInputDialog.

    There is no way to provide a better interface for URLs, because there's
    no reliable way to get directory listings for an arbitrary URL. For
    example, if the URL is http, requesting a directory will typically
    return the index.html file in that directory, rather than a listing of
    the directory contents.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Jan 31, 2006

  3. > There is no way to provide a better interface for URLs, because there's
    > no reliable way to get directory listings for an arbitrary URL.

    That's fine, even if it only allowed the user to choose from files but
    allowed them to type in http, ftp, etc. The main issue right now is
    that standard file choosing widget wont' recognize the syntax of
    "file:".

    -Robert

    Robert M. Gary, Jan 31, 2006