Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by larkpics, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. larkpics

    larkpics Guest

    Hi, I know this goes round and round... but here goes this thread yet
    again. I just started at a new company which has strong security and
    cannot get my IIS working. I know I'm doing something stupid but
    what??? Here's the details.

    http://localhost/ returns a "Server Application Error" and VS.NET
    returns "The Web server reported the following error when attempting to
    create or open the Web project located at the following URL:
    'http://localhost/WebProject1', 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'.

    I have two virtual directories in wwwroot which work fine. I have
    created and run the following bat file:

    Echo "Stop IIS"

    iisreset /stop
    echo "----------------------"

    echo "Deleting the ASPNET account."
    net user ASPNET /delete
    echo "----------------------"

    echo "Reregistering ASP.NET and the ASPNET account."
    aspnet_regiis -i

    echo "Restarting IIS."
    iisreset /start
    echo "----------------------"

    without success. I have also disabled McAfee's On-Access Scan.
    Something tells me I have configured FrontPage extensions incorrectly.
    Does anyone have any good suggestions? My thanks in advance.

    Configuration details:

    XP Professional
    VS.NET 2003
    McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0

    larkpics, Oct 20, 2005

  2. larkpics

    Guest

    I'd like to see if there are is a more specifc error. Is the 'Enable
    friendly http error messages' setting in your browser unchecked?

    , Oct 20, 2005

  3. larkpics

    larkpics Guest

    Yes, all the friendlys are disabled and script debugging is enabled

    larkpics, Oct 20, 2005
  4. Re: 'http://localhost/WebProject1', 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'

    do you have a proxy enabled in IE?
    If you have select "bypass for local addresses.

    Sebastian Wojciechowski, Oct 20, 2005
  5. larkpics

    larkpics Guest

    Re: 'http://localhost/WebProject1', 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'

    No my HTTP Settings are set to "use HTTP1.1"

    It seems to me I go through this everytime I configure IIS on a new
    work station. You'd think I would learn how to do this by now ;)

    larkpics, Oct 20, 2005
  6. larkpics

    larkpics Guest

    Re: 'http://localhost/WebProject1', 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'

    Help please.... don't give up on me....

    My localhost now reports: "No web site is configured at this address."

    Visual Studio.NET 2003 reports: "Visual Studio .NET has detected that
    the specified Web Server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will
    be unable to run ASP.NET applications or services."

    In Visual Studio Help under "About Microsoft Development Environment,"
    it reports: "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Version 1.1.4322 SP1"

    Does anybody know how to fix this? Please...

    Thanks!

    larkpics, Oct 21, 2005
  7. Re: 'http://localhost/WebProject1', 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'

    larkpics this errors are very geenric.
    When you get that error try clicking help on the dialog box you get and make
    sure
    you have done all required.
    What might be could be relaed to permissions.
    Are you sure you have given ASPNET acct the right permissions and also make
    sure
    that account can access your WWWROOT folder and make sure its shared and
    assign permissions to it
    The other thing is do you have VS Developers acct
    Got through this artciles at:-
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vbcon/html/
    vxurfwebaccessfailuredialog.asp

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vstechar
    t/html/vstchremoteserverconfigurationfordevelopingwebprojectsusingvisualstud
    ionet.asp
    Hope that helps
    Patrick

    Patrick.O.Ige, Oct 21, 2005
  8. larkpics

    larkpics Guest

    Re: 'http://localhost/WebProject1', 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'

    Been there, done that. I have re-registered v1.1 till I'm blue in the
    face. I have given ASP.NET full Control of v1.1.4322. I have stopped
    and started IIS. I have read eveything on MSDN and elsewhere to no
    avail. What am I missing?

    larkpics, Oct 21, 2005
  9. larkpics

    larkpics Guest

    Re: 'http://localhost/WebProject1', 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'

    PROBLEM SOLVED! When you are going round and round, you end up
    corrupting your installation of .NET Framework. To fix this, load your
    Prerequisites disc and Start > Run >

    E:\dotNetFramework\dotnetfx.exe /t:c:\temp /c:"msiexec.exe /fvecms
    c:\temp\netfx.msi"

    when E: is the drive letter of the disc.

    larkpics, Oct 21, 2005
  10. Re: 'http://localhost/WebProject1', 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'

    Well good you fixed it that means you must have tempered with the curent
    installstion you
    had.
    Patrick

    Patrick.O.Ige, Oct 22, 2005