URL Purchase Privacy

Ginae

Hello!

Please, does anyone have any insight on the purchase of a URL w/
anonymity. I mean, is there a way to use a bogus name to buy a URL,
so that when someone goes to whois, what they will see is the bogus
name?

Thanks!
Ginae!
http://justginae.blogspot.com

Sherm Pendley

Ginae said:
Please, does anyone have any insight on the purchase of a URL w/
anonymity. I mean, is there a way to use a bogus name to buy a URL,
so that when someone goes to whois, what they will see is the bogus
name?

Most registrars can anonymize whois info for privacy. Typically, it's
just a checkbox on the registration form.

sherm--

Chaddy2222

I just use my host's business address.
That satisfies the rules of ICANN.
Besides, that's where the server is.
That is not always the case. Offten, well in most cases actually the
web host will rent servers in a location that is quite far from where
the office of the company is. They also hire a team of people to look
after the servers. The host just take the profit from the customers,
especially the cheap shared hosting providers.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, richard feverishly typed:
I just use my host's business address.
That satisfies the rules of ICANN.
Besides, that's where the server is.

I'm sure your host are very happy with all the domains you've registered on
their behalf! What would you do if they decided to claim ownership of them?

Cheers,
Nige

Sherm Pendley

Guy Macon said:
Also see:

http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/advisory-10may02.htm

B. Required Provisions in Service Agreements with Registrants

3.7.7 Registrar shall require all Registered Name Holders to enter
into an electronic or paper registration agreement with Registrar
including at least the following provisions:

3.7.7.1 The Registered Name Holder shall provide to Registrar accurate
and reliable contact details and promptly correct and update them

I don't see anything about the registrar providing those details to
the public. That's a different kettle of fish, and it's what the
"anonymizer" services I was referring to earlier help with. The
registrar still has your information in *their* records, they're just
not making it public.

Thanks for the additional info though. Things have come a long way
since the days of emailing internic for free registration. :)

sherm--