    Thanks!
    Ginae!
    http://justginae.blogspot.com

    Ginae, Sep 21, 2008

  2. Ginae <> writes:

    > Please, does anyone have any insight on the purchase of a URL w/
    > anonymity. I mean, is there a way to use a bogus name to buy a URL,
    > so that when someone goes to whois, what they will see is the bogus
    > name?

    Most registrars can anonymize whois info for privacy. Typically, it's
    just a checkbox on the registration form.

    sherm--

    --
    My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com

    Sherm Pendley, Sep 21, 2008

  3. Ginae

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Sep 22, 11:42 am, richard <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:05:00 -0700 (PDT), Ginae
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >Hello!

    > >Please, does anyone have any insight on the purchase of a URL w/
    > >anonymity.  I mean, is there a way to use a bogus name to buy a URL,
    > >so that when someone goes to whois, what they will see is the bogus
    > >name?

    > >Thanks!
    > >Ginae!
    > >http://justginae.blogspot.com

    > I just use my host's business address.
    > That satisfies the rules of ICANN.
    > Besides, that's where the server is.

    That is not always the case. Offten, well in most cases actually the
    web host will rent servers in a location that is quite far from where
    the office of the company is. They also hire a team of people to look
    after the servers. The host just take the profit from the customers,
    especially the cheap shared hosting providers.

    Chaddy2222, Sep 22, 2008
  4. While the city slept, richard feverishly typed:

    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:05:00 -0700 (PDT), Ginae
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hello!
    >>
    >> Please, does anyone have any insight on the purchase of a URL w/
    >> anonymity. I mean, is there a way to use a bogus name to buy a URL,
    >> so that when someone goes to whois, what they will see is the bogus
    >> name?

    > I just use my host's business address.
    > That satisfies the rules of ICANN.
    > Besides, that's where the server is.

    I'm sure your host are very happy with all the domains you've registered on
    their behalf! What would you do if they decided to claim ownership of them?

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss | http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    Email not valid. - take the dog out!

    nice.guy.nige, Sep 22, 2008
  5. Ginae

    Ginae Guest

    On Sep 21, 1:20 pm, Sherm Pendley <> wrote:
    > Ginae <> writes:
    > > Please, does anyone have any insight on the purchase of a URL w/
    > > anonymity.  I mean, is there a way to use a bogus name to buy a URL,
    > > so that when someone goes to whois, what they will see is the bogus
    > > name?

    > Most registrars can anonymize whois info for privacy. Typically, it's
    > just a checkbox on the registration form.
    >
    > sherm--
    >
    > --
    > My blog:http://shermspace.blogspot.com
    > Cocoa programming in Perl:http://camelbones.sourceforge.net

    Thanks everybody!!!!!!

    Ginae, Sep 23, 2008
  6. Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> writes:

    > Also see:
    >
    > http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/advisory-10may02.htm
    >
    > B. Required Provisions in Service Agreements with Registrants
    >
    > 3.7.7 Registrar shall require all Registered Name Holders to enter
    > into an electronic or paper registration agreement with Registrar
    > including at least the following provisions:
    >
    > 3.7.7.1 The Registered Name Holder shall provide to Registrar accurate
    > and reliable contact details and promptly correct and update them

    I don't see anything about the registrar providing those details to
    the public. That's a different kettle of fish, and it's what the
    "anonymizer" services I was referring to earlier help with. The
    registrar still has your information in *their* records, they're just
    not making it public.

    Thanks for the additional info though. Things have come a long way
    since the days of emailing internic for free registration. :)

    sherm--

    --
    My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com

    Sherm Pendley, Sep 23, 2008