URL question

Hugo de Payns

Good day,

I wander, is it possible to add somekind of timelimit to
the title in a link?? I need some more time read the tekst i put in,
or do i need an javascript??

<A title="linktip" href=".htm"></a>

TIA

Jonathan N. Little

Hugo said:
Good day,

I wander, is it possible to add somekind of timelimit to
the title in a link?? I need some more time read the tekst i put in,
or do i need an javascript??

<A title="linktip" href=".htm"></a>

TIA

After the page loads change the title property text after a certain
time? If that is your question, then yes client-side JavaScript could do
it with a setTimeOut function, but I am not sure what that value would be.

If you wanted to change with page loading with respect to some time
criteria, like pseudo-code:

localtime < 12:00pm {
<a title="Visit us this morning!" href="morning.html">Welcome</a>
}
else{
<a title="Visit us this evening!" href="evening.html">Welcome</a>
}

you can use sever-side, but again not sure the value in it...

Hugo de Payns

After the page loads change the title property text after a certain
time? If that is your question, then yes client-side JavaScript could do
it with a setTimeOut function, but I am not sure what that value would be.

If you wanted to change with page loading with respect to some time
criteria, like pseudo-code:

localtime < 12:00pm {
<a title="Visit us this morning!" href="morning.html">Welcome</a>
}
else{
<a title="Visit us this evening!" href="evening.html">Welcome</a>
}

you can use sever-side, but again not sure the value in it...

Thanks for the info, jonathan, but is not exactly what i need;
client-side javascript, server-side, i meen what are you talking about
:))) ; mind you, i have nothing to do with a personal website on the
Internet, but i html-files instead of an word document or rtf-files
e.o. it gives much more pleasure;
the only thing i like to know if it is, and how to prolong the
(standard) time to show the link-description; usually it is no longer
then a couple of second, but because i put some large text in the
linktip, like

<a title="
yadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayada
yadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayada
yadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayada
yadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayada
yadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayada"
href="file.htm"></a>

i need somewhat more then a few second.

regards

Joel Shepherd

Hugo de Payns said:
the only thing i like to know if it is, and how to prolong the
(standard) time to show the link-description; usually it is no longer
then a couple of second, but because i put some large text in the
linktip, like

<a title="
yadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayada
yadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayada
yadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayada
yadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayada
yadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayada"
href="file.htm"></a>

Hmm. Well, that's not a title, is it? Then maybe you're using the wrong
tool for the job.

The title attribute, and for that matter the frequently abused alt
attribute, are not "linktips". I.e., their purpose is not just to
provide data to stuff in a "tooltip". They have specific purposes, and
there is no requirement that they be implemented as tooltips. Their
content could just as easily show up in the browser's status bar, or
anywhere else for that matter.

Your particular browser does happen to use tooltips. So, if you want to
change the duration for which the tooltip is displayed, you may be able
to do it by changing the browser's configuration (though I doubt it) or
your system's operating system configuration (probably some
accessibility setting). Of course, the latter is likely to change it for
all tooltips in all applications, which might not be what you want. But,
that's what happens when you use the wrong tool.

To me, the right tool* -- if you want a large amount of text to pop up
when you're over a link -- sounds like a JavaScript pop up of some sort,
that goes up when your mouse goes over the link, and down when the mouse
goes off it. I have no idea how to write such things, but strongly
suspect if you googled for "Javascript menu" or "Javascript drop-down
menu", you could quickly find examples that you could modify for your
own purposes.

* - (Given that you said this is for personal use. If it wasn't I might
recommend another approach.)

Jonathan N. Little

Hugo said:
[...]

As Joel says the timing of how long the title text is displayed, must be
browser dependent. With my Mozilla there is a delay *before* the tip
displays, but remains displayed as long as the cursor is over the link.

JavaScript and a pop-up will be your best bet. If you do not understand
JavaScript then I suggest you start researching it, books &
tutorials...because there is no HTML answer for you.