URL Rewriter

tim payne

Hi,

I'm thinking of using a URL-Rewriter on a new project (and would like to
write it myself), and have found several different ways that I can do this
in .Net. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of this and could
advice me as to what the preferred method to use is, in terms of speed and
efficiency?

Cheers,

Tim.

Janaka

Hi Tim, I'd be interested in how your going to do this in .NET. We've done
some things in the past but these have been ISAPI filters (which still work
fine since its IIS) and I think it wouldn't be too different. Basically it
requires coming up with a ruleset and then applying it using Regular
Expressions on your incoming requests.

tim payne

There appear to be several methods you can use. One seems to be to write an
http module to do it, the other seems to be to plug into the
Application_BeginRequest event in the global asax and have your own rules
and processing options in a class that you can call. I'm not sure which is
best though, which is what I'm hoping to find out!

:)

I did a search on google for 'url rewriter c#' to get the examples I've seen
so far. There's not a massive amount, but enough to get me started.

Cheers,

Tim.

Janaka

I've heard that HttpModules are closest to ISAPI filters and are more
powerful than using global.asax.

Hans Kesting

tim payne said:
Hi,

I'm thinking of using a URL-Rewriter on a new project (and would like to
write it myself), and have found several different ways that I can do this
in .Net. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of this and could
advice me as to what the preferred method to use is, in terms of speed and
efficiency?

Cheers,

Tim.

For an example:
see the community starter kit on asp.net

Hans Kesting