URL ReWriting (revisited)

David

Hi all,

I know that we can quite easily do URL ReWriting but all I have seen is
changing something from parameters to a page name.

What I want to do is to go to a lower level...

Say I have a URL, www.DerbyFOCUS.com

I want to be able to change the www part of it without having to modify the
servers host headers, so for example, I could do...

forum.DerbyFOCUS.com
shop.DerbyFOCUS.com
dating.DerbyFOCUS.com

etc. etc. etc.

If it is of any help, I can have the domain easily accessible by
DerbyFOCUS.com (no www)

Is this possible? I am using C#

Best regards,
Dave Colliver.
http://www.SheffieldFOCUS.com
~~

David

Hi,

Not really. :-(

That rewrites everything after the domain name, not before.

An example, www.mydomain.com, if someone goes to forum.mydomain.com, it will
still connect, so replacing the www with forum.

The idea is that I want to provide affiliate connections to one of my
projects, whilst the site looks like theirs but with my content. I don't
want to provide just a feed as this could result in fraud, plus connecting
to my site, the system will use the engine I have developed.

Example...

affiliate1.derbyfocus.com
(all revenue generating activities will then automatically be attributed to
affiliate1)

affiliate2.derbyfocus.com
your_domain_affiliate.derbyfocus.com

I know I could do it after the domain, such like...
www.derbyfocus.com/affiliate1 but then I will have to setup and manage
cookies or sessions to ensure affiliate1 gets their revenue and site design
embedded, plus also the visitor may see that they have moved websites much
easier and abandon the site. Therefore, I would like the first part of the
domain name changed.

Best regards,
Dave Colliver.
http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com