url rewritting with no extension in url

Guest

Is there a way to rewrite urls that have no extensions in the url, i.e. no
..aspx or no .html
like
http://www.mywebsite.com/username
to be rewritten as
http://www.mywebsite.com/pages/username.aspx

This is currently done in myspace.com where you can type
http://www.myspace.com/username

So far I have not found a solution to this problem.

When I go to IIS Management Console and try to do the
configuration extension mapping, it does not allow me to enter
..* or no extension for the mapping to the asp.net dll

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Leo
201-923-9595

Flinky Wisty Pomm

You can also get insanely clever with VirtualPathProvider. I'm
currently writing a blog engine with this (got to while away the hours
somehow) and it means I can do highly hackable URLS like:

/index/2006
/index/2006/oct.rss
/posts/TitleOfPost
/posts/TitleOfPost.json
/posts/TitleOfPost/comments.rss(0,92)
/tag/SomeTag/
/tag/SomeTag/MicroSummary.atom

where the files referenced by those URLs don't exist, the
VirtualPathProvider can parse the URL and return an appropriate
VirtualFile.

In your case I think you could create VirtualPathProvider to do the
following:

is the URL in the pages directory?
no -> Pass it back to the default handler
yes ->
does the URL contain .aspx?
yes -> pass it back to the default handler
no -> pass url+".aspx" back to the default handler

There's a fairly relevant link here
[http://blogs.msdn.com/davidebb/arch...ine-behavior-using-a-virtualpathprovider.aspx]

Let me know how you get on if you go down the VPP route, 'cos I'm
curious.

Guest

Gregory -

Thanks for the advice but I can not read the other pages in the article past
page 1 because the article is from 2002 and I have a 2006 subscription to
msdn magazine.

Can you please provide the code?

Thanks,
Leo