URLClassLoader slow in 1.4.2

Timothy Fosdike

I have a problem with jre 1.4.2 and the standard
java.net.URLClassLoader under Linux. The ClassLoader loads alright
from the filesystem, but hangs for about 5 minutes before loading from
a network source. I have tested all the obvious suspects, including
DNS/reverse DNS lookup without any results. During the 5-minute hang,
a netstat on the computer on which the java is running reveals that
the java program is waiting for a timeout on a random port on the
local computer, but even setting up a local firewall to block incoming
access to these ports does not speed up the timeout. Why this is I
don't know. It appears to run alright with a http://localhost/...
address, but not with a remote address.

I notice that others in this group have had this problem, so it is not
the fault of my network. Has anyone found an answer to the problem?