urllib working differently when run from crontab

VictorMiller

I've written a python script which, using urllib, and urllib2 will
fetch a number of files that that I'm interested in from various
websites (they're updated everyday). When I run the script from my
command line everything works as intended. However, when the script
is run from crontab every single url that I attempt to open gets
"connection refused". Has anyone ever seen anything like this? If
so, what's causing it, and what can I do about it?

Victor

Jonathan Gardner

I've written a python script which, using urllib, and urllib2 will
fetch a number of files that that I'm interested in from various
websites (they're updated everyday).  When I run the script from my
command line everything works as intended.  However, when the script
is run from crontab every single url that I attempt to open gets
"connection refused".  Has anyone ever seen anything like this?  If
so, what's causing it, and what can I do about it?

Try su'ing as the user and running the scripts. Maybe that will shed
some light on the problem.

Matthew Woodcraft

I've written a python script which, using urllib, and urllib2 will
fetch a number of files that that I'm interested in from various
websites (they're updated everyday). When I run the script from my
command line everything works as intended. However, when the script
is run from crontab every single url that I attempt to open gets
"connection refused". Has anyone ever seen anything like this? If
so, what's causing it, and what can I do about it?

Perhaps you have an http_proxy environment variable set in the
interactive session but not in cron's environment?

-M-

VictorMiller

Perhaps you have an http_proxy environment variable set in the
interactive session but not in cron's environment?
Aha! Thanks, I think that that may indeed be the problem. I'll know
for sure tomorrow morning after I look at the trace of the run.

Victor