urllib2 on Windows Vista

Sriram Krishnan

I'm running Python 2.4.3 on Windows Vista June CTP. I'm not able to
open any site using the urllib2 and related family of modules

Here's what I get
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
File "D:\python24\lib\urllib2.py", line 130, in urlopen
return _opener.open(url, data)
File "D:\python24\lib\urllib2.py", line 358, in open
response = self._open(req, data)
File "D:\python24\lib\urllib2.py", line 376, in _open
'_open', req)
File "D:\python24\lib\urllib2.py", line 337, in _call_chain
result = func(*args)
File "D:\python24\lib\urllib2.py", line 1021, in http_open
return self.do_open(httplib.HTTPConnection, req)
File "D:\python24\lib\urllib2.py", line 996, in do_open
raise URLError(err)
urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error (11001, 'getaddrinfo failed')>

Is this a known issue on Windows Vista?

Thanks,
Sriram

Rune Strand

Sriram said:
I'm running Python 2.4.3 on Windows Vista June CTP. I'm not able to
open any site using the urllib2 and related family of modules

My wil guess is that it is a firewall problem. Perhaps you'll have to
specify that python.exe is trusted.

Sriram Krishnan

Rune said:
My wil guess is that it is a firewall problem. Perhaps you'll have to
specify that python.exe is trusted.

Tried that - it didn't work. I also tried turning off the User Account
Control and ran as full administrator - that didn't work too.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Sriram said:
I'm running Python 2.4.3 on Windows Vista June CTP. I'm not able to
open any site using the urllib2 and related family of modules

I think you need to break the error further down. Try httplib instead
of urllib, and see what connect does. Then break this down into socket
calls (reading the source of httplib.connect, and executing it manually
in single-stepping), so that you know what the precise arguments passed
to getaddrinfo are.

FWIW, 11001 is WSAHOST_NOT_FOUND, which suggests that you have
DNS configured incorrectly.

Regards,
Martin