urls on securing python on a shared hosting ?

Bruno Desthuilliers

Hi everyone !

Could someone point me to infos about securing python for use as CGI or
mod_python for a shared hosting environnement ?

I searched google, but did not find anything specific :(

I'm not an admin myself, but I try to convince my hosting admins to
install Python. For now, their answser is that they don't know how to
secure this, and have not time to learn how to do it. (NB : this is a
'cooperative' hosting service, not a commercial one...)

TIA
Bruno

John J. Lee

Bruno Desthuilliers said:
Could someone point me to infos about securing python for use as CGI
or mod_python for a shared hosting environnement ?

I searched google, but did not find anything specific :(

I'm not an admin myself, but I try to convince my hosting admins to
install Python. For now, their answser is that they don't know how to
secure this, and have not time to learn how to do it. (NB : this is a
'cooperative' hosting service, not a commercial one...)

I can't think of any security issues resulting from use of Python CGI
scripts that aren't also present when using any other language for
that purpose. Perl does have taint checking, which is a useful
technique, but not really of interest from the point of view of the
*administrators* of a system.

Dunno about mod_python, though.

John