URLs

Discussion in 'HTML' started by FluxForums, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. FluxForums

    FluxForums Guest

    *Relative vs. Absolute URLs
    URLs within HTML documents can take two forms, *absolute* (or full) an
    *relative* (or partial).
    An *absolute URL* is a full pathname which completely defines how t
    reach a referenced file, regardless of where the file is reference
    from. An example of an absolute URL is:
    <A HREF=http://tinyurl.com/2zryc>Sample Page</A>
    A *relative URL* gives only the amount of information necessary to fil
    a referenced file relative to the location of the current file. A
    example of a relative URL is:
    <A HREF="sample.html">Sample Page</A> The difference between the two i
    that the absolute URL above could be used to access the Sample pag
    from anywhere in the world -- it gives complete access informatio
    which will always work. The relative URL shown would only work i
    called from another document already in th
    *'www.yourwebsite.com/test/' (http://tinyurl.com/3ewud)* directory
    --
    FluxForum
    FluxForums's Profile: http://www.fluxforums.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=

    FluxForums, Feb 22, 2004

  2. FluxForums

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "FluxForums" <> wrote in message
    > *Relative vs. Absolute URLs*
    > URLs within HTML documents can take two forms, *absolute* (or full) and
    > *relative* (or partial).
    > An *absolute URL* is a full pathname which completely defines how to
    > reach a referenced file, regardless of where the file is referenced
    > from. An example of an absolute URL is:
    > <A HREF=http://tinyurl.com/2zryc>Sample Page</A>
    > A *relative URL* gives only the amount of information necessary to file
    > a referenced file relative to the location of the current file. An
    > example of a relative URL is:
    > <A HREF="sample.html">Sample Page</A> The difference between the two is
    > that the absolute URL above could be used to access the Sample page
    > from anywhere in the world -- it gives complete access information
    > which will always work. The relative URL shown would only work if
    > called from another document already in the
    > *'www.yourwebsite.com/test/' (http://tinyurl.com/3ewud)* directory.
    > --
    > FluxForums

    http://whatever.com/?dothis

    also a valid url, but not a page, or even a real location...

    SpaceGirl, Feb 22, 2004

  3. FluxForums <> wrote:

    > *Relative vs. Absolute URLs*

    Yes? Your message headers claim that you have sent a one-liner, but the
    message contains some more lines. We don't see any question, or
    anything that would clarify anything, just something that looks like a
    half-baked attempt at explaining the difference. Without the poster's
    name - always a useful bogosity warning.

    Is FluxForum a new contestant in the competition of creating the most
    useless, confusing, and misleading "discussion forum" that presents
    Usenet as being part of it?

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 22, 2004
  4. FluxForums

    Cameron Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > FluxForums <> wrote:
    >

    >>*Relative vs. Absolute URLs*

    > Yes? Your message headers claim that you have sent a one-liner, but the
    > message contains some more lines. We don't see any question, or
    > anything that would clarify anything, just something that looks like a
    > half-baked attempt at explaining the difference. Without the poster's
    > name - always a useful bogosity warning.
    >
    > Is FluxForum a new contestant in the competition of creating the most
    > useless, confusing, and misleading "discussion forum" that presents
    > Usenet as being part of it?

    Uhm actually headers say that she sent 27 lines (Below)

    ~Cameron

    From: "SpaceGirl" <>
    Newsgroups: alt.html
    Subject: Re: URLs
    Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 10:15:27 -0000

    Cameron, Feb 22, 2004
  5. FluxForums

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "Cameron" <> wrote in message
    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > > FluxForums <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>*Relative vs. Absolute URLs*

    > > Yes? Your message headers claim that you have sent a one-liner, but the
    > > message contains some more lines. We don't see any question, or
    > > anything that would clarify anything, just something that looks like a
    > > half-baked attempt at explaining the difference. Without the poster's
    > > name - always a useful bogosity warning.
    > >
    > > Is FluxForum a new contestant in the competition of creating the most
    > > useless, confusing, and misleading "discussion forum" that presents
    > > Usenet as being part of it?
    > >

    > Uhm actually headers say that she sent 27 lines (Below)
    >
    > ~Cameron

    news.theplanet.net!diablo.theplanet.net!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!newsfeed0
    1.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!82-41-20-93.cable.u
    br03.edin.blueyonder.co.UK!not-for-mail
    > From: "SpaceGirl" <>
    > Newsgroups: alt.html
    > Subject: Re: URLs
    > Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 10:15:27 -0000

    It's rude to expose a ladys headers without asking :p

    :)

    SpaceGirl, Feb 22, 2004
  6. FluxForums

    Els Guest

    Cameron wrote:

    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >
    >> FluxForums <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> *Relative vs. Absolute URLs*

    >> Yes? Your message headers claim that you have sent a one-liner, but
    >> the message contains some more lines. We don't see any question, or
    >> anything that would clarify anything, just something that looks like a
    >> half-baked attempt at explaining the difference. Without the poster's
    >> name - always a useful bogosity warning.
    >>
    >> Is FluxForum a new contestant in the competition of creating the most
    >> useless, confusing, and misleading "discussion forum" that presents
    >> Usenet as being part of it?
    >>

    > Uhm actually headers say that she sent 27 lines (Below)
    >
    > ~Cameron

    > From: "SpaceGirl" <>
    > Newsgroups: alt.html
    > Subject: Re: URLs
    > Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 10:15:27 -0000

    That's SpaceGirl's header.
    Jukka was responding to FluxForums... 1 line indeed. :)

    --
    Els

    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Feb 22, 2004
  7. FluxForums

    Cameron Guest

    Els wrote:

    > Cameron wrote:
    >
    >> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    >>> Yes? Your message headers claim that you have sent a one-liner, but
    >>> the message contains some more lines. We don't see any question, or
    >>> anything that would clarify anything, just something that looks like
    >>> a half-baked attempt at explaining the difference. Without the
    >>> poster's name - always a useful bogosity warning.
    >>>
    >>> Is FluxForum a new contestant in the competition of creating the most
    >>> useless, confusing, and misleading "discussion forum" that presents
    >>> Usenet as being part of it?
    >>>

    >> Uhm actually headers say that she sent 27 lines (Below)
    >>
    >> ~Cameron

    >> From: "SpaceGirl" <>
    >> Newsgroups: alt.html
    >> Subject: Re: URLs
    >> Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 10:15:27 -0000

    > That's SpaceGirl's header.
    > Jukka was responding to FluxForums... 1 line indeed. :)

    Euh, then either Mozilla Thunderbird messed up the thread or Jukka
    replied to the wrong one.

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Feb 22, 2004
  8. FluxForums

    Cameron Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:
    > "Cameron" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    >>>Yes? Your message headers claim that you have sent a one-liner, but the
    >>>message contains some more lines. We don't see any question, or
    >>>anything that would clarify anything, just something that looks like a
    >>>half-baked attempt at explaining the difference. Without the poster's
    >>>name - always a useful bogosity warning.
    >>>
    >>>Is FluxForum a new contestant in the competition of creating the most
    >>>useless, confusing, and misleading "discussion forum" that presents
    >>>Usenet as being part of it?
    >>>

    >>Uhm actually headers say that she sent 27 lines (Below)
    >>
    >>~Cameron

    > news.theplanet.net!diablo.theplanet.net!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!newsfeed0
    > 1.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!82-41-20-93.cable.u
    > br03.edin.blueyonder.co.UK!not-for-mail
    >
    >>From: "SpaceGirl" <>
    >>Newsgroups: alt.html
    >>Subject: Re: URLs
    >>Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 10:15:27 -0000

    > It's rude to expose a ladys headers without asking :p
    >

    > :)

    hey, at least I didn't go Henry The Eighth on them ;)

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Feb 22, 2004
  9. FluxForums

    Els Guest

    Cameron wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >
    >> Cameron wrote:

    >>> Uhm actually headers say that she sent 27 lines (Below)
    >>>
    >>> From: "SpaceGirl" <>

    >> That's SpaceGirl's header.
    >> Jukka was responding to FluxForums... 1 line indeed. :)

    > Euh, then either Mozilla Thunderbird messed up the thread or Jukka
    > replied to the wrong one.

    Must be the first, as you can see by his quote that Jukka
    replied to Fluxforums, not SpaceGirl :)

    --
    Els

    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Feb 22, 2004
  10. FluxForums

    Cameron Guest

    Els wrote:
    > Cameron wrote:

    >>> That's SpaceGirl's header.
    >>> Jukka was responding to FluxForums... 1 line indeed. :)

    >> Euh, then either Mozilla Thunderbird messed up the thread or Jukka
    >> replied to the wrong one.

    > Must be the first, as you can see by his quote that Jukka replied to
    > Fluxforums, not SpaceGirl :)

    Erk, well reluctant to blame my beloved Thunderbird I will blame
    freeserve for expiring articles to quickly ;)

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Feb 22, 2004