Usage message in optparse.. summarize method?

Jeff Dickens

I tried your script, and -h doesn't output anything. I'm using ruby 1.8.0.

Looking through the reference docs for optparse, there seems to be a
"summarize" method that does what we want.

But I can't find diddly for examples of more advanced use of optparse. The
stuff at learning-ruby.com and the FIRSTSTEP.ja.html file that comes with
the distribution are very basic.

Does anyone have more examples of using optparase with the summarize method
or any other advanced examples?

Thanks.

Nathaniel Talbott

I tried your script, and -h doesn't output anything. I'm using ruby
1.8.0.

jacob:~/tmp ntalbott$ ruby -v t.rb -h
ruby 1.8.1 (2003-11-30) [powerpc-darwin]
Usage: t [options]
-d, --date=DATE specify a date
-q, --quiet be verry quiet
-h, --help Print this help information
jacob:~/tmp ntalbott$ cat t.rb
require 'optparse'

ARGV.options do |options|
options.on('-d', '--date=DATE', String, 'specify a date'){|v| puts
"Date #{v} passed"}
options.on('-q', '--quiet', 'be verry quiet') do
puts "OK, I'm being very, very, very quiet... can't you tell?"
end
options.on_tail('-h', '--help', 'Print this help information'){puts
options; exit}
options.parse!
end

Not sure why you had trouble; can you give more details?

But I can't find diddly for examples of more advanced use of optparse.
The
stuff at learning-ruby.com and the FIRSTSTEP.ja.html file that comes
with
the distribution are very basic.

I've used http://docs.meg.nu/local-docs/ruby/optparse/optparse.html a
lot; it has an extensive example at the end.

HTH,

Nathaniel

<:((><

nobu.nokada

Hi,

At Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:07:34 +0900,
Nathaniel said:
ARGV.options do |options|
options.on('-d', '--date=DATE', String, 'specify a date'){|v| puts "Date #{v} passed"}

If you really want to accept only dates, you can use Date
instead of String here, with requiring 'optparse/date'.

Nathaniel Talbott

Hi,

At Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:07:34 +0900,

If you really want to accept only dates, you can use Date
instead of String here, with requiring 'optparse/date'.

Wow. Very cool.

Thanks for optparse - I've found it to be extremely useful. It makes it
so easy to provide command-line usage information for scripts that it's
almost criminal not to. Not to mention that it also makes it a cinch to
process command-line options.

Nathaniel

<:((><

Jeff Dickens

It was a very ruby nuby mistake on my part.. I cut and pasted and forgot to
remove the extra carriage returns thereby introduced.

Works fine now. Thanks.

And btw, what's your signoff "HTH" mean ?

Nathaniel Talbott said:
[...]

Great!

And btw, what's your signoff "HTH" mean ?

Just an abbrev for "Hope That Helps" :)

Nathaniel

<:((><