    | (Oscar Wilde) |
    | -bonn.de __@/' www.gabrielzachmann.org |
    \-------------------------------------------------------------------------/
    Gabriel Zachmann, Nov 5, 2004

  2. Gabriel Zachmann

    Andrew Dalke Guest

    Gabriel Zachmann wrote:
    > For some reason, I would like to have some statistics about how often
    > Python is used in the *scientific* communities (such as astronomy,
    > genetics, electrical engineering, ...), as opposed to C++ or Java
    > or other "common" programming languages.

    It would be nice to know the reason. You're not in computational
    genetics since you didn't mention Perl as a "common" programming
    language. You ask for broad fields -- experimental, computational,
    sequencing/assembly, annotation, gene expression, genology and
    cladistics are all aspects of genetics.

    In the one I know best, bioinformatics (overlaps well with
    computational genetics), people use Perl, Java, Python, then
    Ruby and others. Guessing based on talking to people at
    conferences I'll put the numbers at 75% (Perl), 10% (Java),
    10 (Python), 5% (other).

    Whereas the sequence assembly most widely used are in C/C++
    for performance reasons and the cladistic programs I know of
    are in C because they were started in the 1980s. But I don't
    know those fields well.

    Andrew
    Andrew Dalke, Nov 5, 2004