USB 2.0 Memory Stick

Joe Macarony

Hi to theForcesOfCpp!I'm just wondering if there is any simple way to read
the serial number of an memory stick connected to an USB port? Something
like reading the vendor number of a hard disk... OS: Windows XPEnvironment:
Borland C++BuilderX Personal or MS Visual Studio 2005 ExpressAny help /
sample would be great...Thanx in advance,Joe

Victor Bazarov

Joe said:
Hi to theForcesOfCpp!I'm just wondering if there is any simple way to read
the serial number [..]

Nope. C++ _language_ has no definition of "serial number" or "USB 2.0
Memory Stick". You need to ask in a newsgroup that deals with your OS.

Joe Macarony

Victor Bazarov said:
Joe said:
Hi to theForcesOfCpp!I'm just wondering if there is any simple way to
read the serial number [..]

Nope. C++ _language_ has no definition of "serial number" or "USB 2.0
Memory Stick". You need to ask in a newsgroup that deals with your OS.

Hi Victor!

It seems like I didn't express myselft correctly. I am looking for a peace
of C++ code which reads out the serial number of an USB 2.0 memory stick. I
am not looking the simple things that I can read out from the windows
registry.

"My" OS is written as Windows Xp, because I will try to "play" with this
kind of code on Windows, and not on some Linux/Unix/Mac/Simbian/WhatEver...

Thanx anyway, hope that is clear what for I am tryin? to get help?

Joe

Jay Nabonne

It seems like I didn't express myselft correctly. I am looking for a peace
of C++ code which reads out the serial number of an USB 2.0 memory stick. I
am not looking the simple things that I can read out from the windows
registry.

"My" OS is written as Windows Xp, because I will try to "play" with this
kind of code on Windows, and not on some Linux/Unix/Mac/Simbian/WhatEver...

Accessing that level of hardware requires third-party APIs. There is no
support defined at the level of the ISO C++ language for such things. That
puts it outside the scope of this newsgroup, which only deals with what
can be done with the standard C++ language.

Each platform/OS is different. So in order to find out how to do what you
want on your particular platform, you need to ask in a newsgroup specific
to that platform.

Good luck!

- Jay

Victor Bazarov

Joe said:
Joe said:
Hi to theForcesOfCpp!I'm just wondering if there is any simple way to
read the serial number [..]

Nope. C++ _language_ has no definition of "serial number" or "USB 2.0
Memory Stick". You need to ask in a newsgroup that deals with your OS.

Hi Victor!

It seems like I didn't express myselft correctly. I am looking for a peace
of C++ code which reads out the serial number of an USB 2.0 memory stick. I
am not looking the simple things that I can read out from the windows
registry.

"My" OS is written as Windows Xp, because I will try to "play" with this
kind of code on Windows, and not on some Linux/Unix/Mac/Simbian/WhatEver...

Thanx anyway, hope that is clear what for I am tryin? to get help?

Hi Joe!

It seems that I didn't help you understand the concept of topicality
correctly. This newsgroup discusses (and helps folks solve problems) with
C++ _language_ as defined in its International Standard. Since the C++
Standard does *not* have any reference to "USB" or "serial number", I am
afraid your problem cannot be solved in C++ terms. You need help from the
folks who know your OS (Windows XP or whatever) because you will _have_to_
use OS-specific means to get to whatever you "play" with, whether it is
achieved by calling a function or two from OS-specific API, or using some
kind of third-party library, or even using some extension to C++ provided
by your compiler.

Hope that is clear what I am trying to say?

Visit comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 and ask there.

Joe Macarony

Jay Nabonne said:
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:37:13 +0100, Joe Macarony wrote:

Accessing that level of hardware requires third-party APIs. There is no
support defined at the level of the ISO C++ language for such things. That
puts it outside the scope of this newsgroup, which only deals with what
can be done with the standard C++ language.

Each platform/OS is different. So in order to find out how to do what you
want on your particular platform, you need to ask in a newsgroup specific
to that platform.

Good luck!

- Jay

Any sugesstions where could I ask this kind of question?? On which
newsgroup?
I know that this is something very, very specific, but I hope that some1 who
reads this group has any idea / any expirience in this kind of things...

Thanx anyway,
Joe

roberts.noah

Joe said:
Any sugesstions where could I ask this kind of question?? On which
newsgroup?
I know that this is something very, very specific, but I hope that some1 who
reads this group has any idea / any expirience in this kind of things...

One of the many websites on USB programming might be useful. I find
google to be rather helpful with this sort of problem.

mlimber

Joe said:
Hi to theForcesOfCpp!I'm just wondering if there is any simple way to read
the serial number of an memory stick connected to an USB port? Something
like reading the vendor number of a hard disk... OS: Windows XPEnvironment:
Borland C++BuilderX Personal or MS Visual Studio 2005 ExpressAny help /
sample would be great...Thanx in advance,Joe

This question is off-topic here since it doesn't deal with the C++
language proper. Check the FAQ for what is on-topic here and for some
suggestions of newsgroups that would be a better fit:

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9

Cheers! --M

Joe Macarony

Victor Bazarov said:
Hope that is clear what I am trying to say?

Visit comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 and ask there.

Thanx,
my last word in this topic.

Joe

Victor Bazarov

Joe said:
I know that this is something very, very specific, but I hope that some1 who
reads this group has any idea / any expirience in this kind of things...

Joe, answering an off-topic question here is even bigger violation of
netiquette than asking it. If somebody knows the answer, they will gladly
provide it in an appropriate newsgroup. If 'comp.os.ms-windows.*' that
I recommended doesn't work for you, try the hierarchy of newsgroups that
begins with 'microsoft.public.win32.programmer.', and if you can't find
it on your ISP's list, connect to 'msnews.microsoft.com' server.

roberts.noah