Use 7-bit encoding?

bole2cant

I have been advised that if I save a file in "7-bit" format in AceHTML the
ampersand codes will be preserved. Would you recommended this? Any undesired
consequences? (I'm thinking it is probably something I don't want to do.)

If I check "7-bit" encoding, Ace deletes the "charset=iso-8859-1".

instead of

Ernest Cline

bole2cant said:
I have been advised that if I save a file in "7-bit" format in AceHTML the
ampersand codes will be preserved. Would you recommended this? Any undesired
consequences? (I'm thinking it is probably something I don't want to do.)

If I check "7-bit" encoding, Ace deletes the "charset=iso-8859-1".

instead of

The disadvantage to using 7-bit encoding is that if you have non-ASCII
characters they will take more storage and more bandwidth, however the
advantage of using 7bits with the non-ASCII characters represented as
entities is that there is a wide variety of charactersets with which your
HTML document is now compatatble, including all of the iso-8859-X sets not
just -1, UTF-7, UTF-8, Windows-1252, etc. so that you generally don't have
to worry as much about which charset your server says that it serves.

Mark Parnell

bole2cant said:
charset=iso-8859-1">

Your server should be sending that information anyway, rather than resorting
to a meta hack.