    If I check "7-bit" encoding, Ace deletes the "charset=iso-8859-1".

    instead of

    -Doug

    bole2cant, Jun 27, 2003

  2. bole2cant

    Ernest Cline Guest

    "bole2cant" <> wrote in message
    news:bdfv94$3e4$...
    > I have been advised that if I save a file in "7-bit" format in AceHTML the
    > ampersand codes will be preserved. Would you recommended this? Any

    undesired
    > consequences? (I'm thinking it is probably something I don't want to do.)
    >
    > If I check "7-bit" encoding, Ace deletes the "charset=iso-8859-1".

    > instead of

    The disadvantage to using 7-bit encoding is that if you have non-ASCII
    characters they will take more storage and more bandwidth, however the
    advantage of using 7bits with the non-ASCII characters represented as
    entities is that there is a wide variety of charactersets with which your
    HTML document is now compatatble, including all of the iso-8859-X sets not
    just -1, UTF-7, UTF-8, Windows-1252, etc. so that you generally don't have
    to worry as much about which charset your server says that it serves.

    Ernest Cline, Jun 27, 2003

  3. bole2cant

    Mark Parnell Guest

    bole2cant wrote:
    > charset=iso-8859-1">

    Your server should be sending that information anyway, rather than resorting
    to a meta hack.

    --

    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au