  1. yabba

    yabba Guest

    I want to use a asp page to trigger a 2nd asp file. and return immediately.

    #2 does not have any user interface, it simply manipulates some data and
    writes a report to a log.

    I want #2 to run in the background while I continue with other operations.

    Any ideas how to do this?

    TIA

    yabba, Nov 13, 2003

  2. yabba

    Evertjan. Guest

    yabba wrote on 13 nov 2003 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
    > I want to use a asp page to trigger a 2nd asp file. and return
    > immediately.

    You cannot do this serverside, I think, without ending that second page.

    You will have to do that with clientside code.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Nov 13, 2003

  3. From the server side, I think no way.
    because you want #2 to run in the background while
    you continue with other operations.

    but from the clientside, before submitting, you can open a
    little popup and make it call the second ASP

    HTH
    Roji

    Roji. P. Thomas, Nov 13, 2003
  4. yabba

    Ray at Guest

    If you want to run it in the background only, then you should be okay with
    changing it from a .asp file to a .vbs/.js file. Then you can use the
    method described here to execute it in the background without having to wait
    for it to complete. http://www.aspfree.com/articles/644,1/articles.aspx

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Nov 13, 2003
  5. yabba

    dlbjr Guest

    Place the following code in an ASP file and include on all pages.

    Just do this to make a call to page 2.
    ProcessUrl "http://server/page2.asp?VAR1=??&VAR2=??

    HTH

    <SCRIPT language="vbscript" runat="server">
    Public Sub ProcessUrl(strUrlAddress)
    On Error Resume Next
    Set objXMLHTTP = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
    objXMLHTTP.open "GET",strUrlAddress, True
    objXMLHTTP.send
    Set objXMLHTTP = Nothing
    End Sub
    </SCRIPT>