Use .css to insert small "Donate" one-liner on top of all pages?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by I.N. Galidakis, Nov 22, 2011.

  1. Hi,

    I am a total noob to html 4.01 and was wondering if I could use some simple css
    to insert a simple one-line banner to all the pages of my web site with a link
    to my "Donate" page.

    It is fairly impossible to insert such a one-liner on all pages of the web site
    as they are in excess of 300, so I was wondering if I could achieve something
    similar to what wiki does (for its calls for donation), which would consist of
    only some text and a link to my "Donate" page.

    I only use two very simple .css docs, which just control the appearance of the
    documents on my web page and which can be inspected with "Display Source" on IE.

    The one-liner I had in mind, should be something simple, like:

    "Please read the Donate page", with the word "Donate" linking to my regular
    "Donate" on the upper menu.

    This, should be followed by a <hr> and the page should continue normally.

    For example:

    -------------------Page top --------
    Please read the Donate page!
    <hr>
    Web page contents continue normally.

    Regular meta commands like "insert" .html ("include", etc.) don't work, because
    the yahoo server doesn't support them.

    Many thanks,
    --
    I.

    I.N. Galidakis, Nov 22, 2011

  2. Whoops! Forgot the link:

    hxxp://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/

    Thanks,
    --
    I.

    I.N. Galidakis, Nov 22, 2011

  3. I.N. Galidakis

    MG Guest

    "I.N. Galidakis" <> wrote in message
    > Whoops! Forgot the link:
    >
    > hxxp://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/

    Whoops! That should be:

    http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/

    >> It is fairly impossible to insert such a one-liner on all pages of
    >> the web site as they are in excess of 300, so I was wondering if I
    >> could achieve something similar to what wiki does (for its calls for
    >> donation), which would consist of only some text and a link to my
    >> "Donate" page.

    Does your server have any scripting languages, such as php? It is very easy
    if it is done on the server.

    --
    MG

    MG, Nov 22, 2011
  4. I.N. Galidakis wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am a total noob to html 4.01 and was wondering if I could use some
    > simple css to insert a simple one-line banner to all the pages of my web
    > site with a link to my "Donate" page.

    Although CSS has a mechanism for generation content, it is limited and
    not meant for "content" content, i.e., but more "styling" content.
    Examples like numbers on lists, images or content type indications on
    links, etc. and not actual page content.

    /* content hints */
    a.external:after { content: " " url(external.png); }
    a[href$=".pdf"]:after { content: " " url(pdf.png); }
    a[href$=".bmp"]:after { content: " " url(image.png); }
    a[href^="mailto"]:after { content: " " url(email.png); }

    What you want is server side includes to included a common content on
    each page. You need SSI, or PHP, or ASP, or whatever your hosting supports.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 22, 2011
  5. I.N. Galidakis

    dorayme Guest

    In article <1321989212.279842@athprx04>,
    "I.N. Galidakis" <> wrote:

    > I am a total noob to html 4.01 and was wondering if I could use some simple
    > css to insert a simple one-line banner to all the pages of my web site
    > with a link to my "Donate" page.

    Usually, the best way to insert some specific markup on a lot of
    pages is to write it once in a text file, name the file and refer
    to it with an *include* on all the pages. You can use Server Side
    Includes or PHP Includes. But you go on to say your server does
    not support these?

    You are very limited by the ability of CSS to put in content. You
    can put in a bit of text via CSS but it would not operate a link.
    You can *refer* to a link on the page, you seem to have one. But
    your problem will be to find a suitable element that you already
    have there to latch onto. If you have to insert a new element for
    the purpose on every page, that would defeat the purpose somewhat
    and you would be better off sticking a proper bit of markup with
    a link on each page.

    You do have an element, an HR at the start. If you did not have
    any other HRs on the pages you might be able to get away with
    something like::

    hr:before {
    color: #c00;
    background: #cfc;
    padding: .5em;
    line-height: 2;
    content: "Please read the Donate page, see link on the main menu
    below."
    }

    Or even, instead of the above text bit: "Please read the Donate
    page which is at http:/..." It would at least give the address.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 22, 2011
  6. dorayme <> writes:

    > In article <1321989212.279842@athprx04>,
    > "I.N. Galidakis" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I am a total noob to html 4.01 and was wondering if I could use some simple
    >> css to insert a simple one-line banner to all the pages of my web site
    >> with a link to my "Donate" page.

    > Usually, the best way to insert some specific markup on a lot of
    > pages is to write it once in a text file, name the file and refer
    > to it with an *include* on all the pages. You can use Server Side
    > Includes or PHP Includes. But you go on to say your server does
    > not support these?

    This would still require all the 300-odd pages to be edited to include
    the include, and the OP has expressed (understandable) reluctance to do
    that.

    I'd say that this is the key issue. Learning methods to modify large
    collections of files at once almost always pays off over the years, and
    doing so would provide a direct solution: just edit the pages to include
    the desired text directly[1].

    I tend to use an off-line template or macro system for this sort of
    thing. The resulting pages don't need any server-side assistance, and
    yet bulk changes are very easy to make. This only works for a
    particular kind of site, so I would not suggest the OP learn any such
    method for a once-off job, whereas bulk editing is likely to come in
    handy for all sorts of things.

    [1] It's wise to add some sort of marker so that you can target any
    later edits more simply:

    <!-- Donate banner start -->
    <!-- Donate banner end -->

    <snip>
    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Nov 23, 2011
  7. Re: Use .css to insert small "Donate" one-liner on top of allpages?

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 00:58:44 +0000, Ben Bacarisse wrote:

    > I'd say that this is the key issue. Learning methods to modify large
    > collections of files at once almost always pays off over the years, and
    > doing so would provide a direct solution: just edit the pages to include
    > the desired text directly[1].

    I'd use something like the following in each directory:

    p>|' *.htm

    Which (untested) would insert a single para after the <body> tag in each
    htm file, said para containing a link to donate.htm and the text "Please
    Donate".

    Using "/donate.htm" means you don't need to rewrite the replace
    expression to accommodate different levels of directory nesting.

    It reduces 300 open, paste, save operations to one command per directory,
    which I imagine is an improvement. Unfortunately sed does not support
    recursive searches .... although perhaps it could be used in an exec with
    find (also untested):

    find . -name *.htm -exec sed -i 's|\(<body[^>]*>\)|\1<p><a href="/
    donate.htm">Please Donate</a></p>|' '{}' \;

    I use the fully qualified url in this example as there's no easy way to
    allow for the nesting level doing it that way.

    Of course, both of these methods rely on having useful command line tools
    and an environment in which they can be used. I believe sed and find are
    available for microsoft cli these days at eg <url:http://
    unxutils.sourceforge.net/> although they may not use exactly the same
    syntaxes as the ones I'm used to.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, Nov 23, 2011
  8. I.N. Galidakis

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <
    k>,
    Ben Bacarisse <> wrote:

    > dorayme <> writes:
    >
    > > In article <1321989212.279842@athprx04>,
    > > "I.N. Galidakis" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I am a total noob to html 4.01 and was wondering if I could use some
    > >> simple
    > >> css to insert a simple one-line banner to all the pages of my web site
    > >> with a link to my "Donate" page.

    > > Usually, the best way to insert some specific markup on a lot of
    > > pages is to write it once in a text file, name the file and refer
    > > to it with an *include* on all the pages. You can use Server Side
    > > Includes or PHP Includes. But you go on to say your server does
    > > not support these?

    > This would still require all the 300-odd pages to be edited to include
    > the include, and the OP has expressed (understandable) reluctance to do
    > that.
    >

    > I'd say that this is the key issue.

    True, which is why I addressed this in the rest of my post.

    > Learning methods to modify large
    > collections of files at once almost always pays off over the years, and
    > doing so would provide a direct solution: just edit the pages to include
    > the desired text directly[1].
    >
    > I tend to use an off-line template or macro system for this sort of
    > thing. ...

    Yes, I used to do a lot of this before using includes. In the Mac
    world BBEdit and TextWrangler have always had good F&R facilities
    including global changes over folders and GREP.

    It was a nuisance on dial-up because one still had to upload a
    lot of pages yet now I am fast cable, it is still absurdly slow
    uploading! (I had the best upload speeds on ADSL for years. Now I
    have blazing downloads and turtle uploads!)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 23, 2011
  9. I.N. Galidakis

    dorayme Guest

    In article <4ecc5134$0$28648$>,
    Denis McMahon <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 00:58:44 +0000, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    >
    > > I'd say that this is the key issue. Learning methods to modify large
    > > collections of files at once almost always pays off over the years, and
    > > doing so would provide a direct solution: just edit the pages to include
    > > the desired text directly[1].

    > I'd use something like the following in each directory:

    > p>|' *.htm

    So much cooler and geekier than the simple-minded, dumb, low-rent

    Find:

    body>

    Replace:

    body>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 23, 2011
  10. dorayme wrote:
    > In article<4ecc5134$0$28648$>,
    > Denis McMahon<> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 00:58:44 +0000, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'd say that this is the key issue. Learning methods to modify large
    >>> collections of files at once almost always pays off over the years, and
    >>> doing so would provide a direct solution: just edit the pages to include
    >>> the desired text directly[1].

    >> I'd use something like the following in each directory:

    >> p>|' *.htm

    > So much cooler and geekier than the simple-minded, dumb, low-rent
    >
    > Find:
    >
    > body>
    >
    > Replace:
    >
    > body>

    ....and faster. sed uses a glob to edit all 300+ files over manually
    opening each file to F/R

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 23, 2011
  11. I.N. Galidakis

    dorayme Guest

    In article <jahlm3$5vv$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article<4ecc5134$0$28648$>,

    > >> I'd use something like the following in each directory:

    > >> p>|' *.htm

    > > So much cooler and geekier than the simple-minded, dumb, low-rent
    > >
    > > Find:
    > >
    > > body>
    > >
    > > Replace:
    > >
    > > body>
    > >

    > ...and faster. sed uses a glob to edit all 300+ files over manually
    > opening each file to F/R

    Manually? Does my BBedit text editor have hands?

    Or do you think you can't use the simple-minded, dumb, low-rent
    one to replace over a whole folder in one go? The text is low
    geek but the editor is smart as hell. I have been trying to
    persuade you, Jonathan, for how many years?, to come over from
    the dark side. <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 23, 2011
  12. dorayme <> writes:

    > In article
    > <
    > k>,
    > Ben Bacarisse <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >> Learning methods to modify large
    >> collections of files at once almost always pays off over the years, and
    >> doing so would provide a direct solution: just edit the pages to include
    >> the desired text directly[1].
    >>
    >> I tend to use an off-line template or macro system for this sort of
    >> thing. ...

    > Yes, I used to do a lot of this before using includes. In the Mac
    > world BBEdit and TextWrangler have always had good F&R facilities
    > including global changes over folders and GREP.
    >
    > It was a nuisance on dial-up because one still had to upload a
    > lot of pages yet now I am fast cable, it is still absurdly slow
    > uploading! (I had the best upload speeds on ADSL for years. Now I
    > have blazing downloads and turtle uploads!)

    How true. It's a shame that hosting companies often don't support diff.
    On Unixy servers with shell access, it often pays to upload a patch
    rather than the changed pages themselves. It also gives one a handy
    'undo' option for those "what was I thinking?" moments. (And if you use
    change control on the pages, you get the patch for free).

    On non-shell hosts, I would find a GUI-based "patch the site" option
    very useful at times.

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Nov 23, 2011
  13. Re: Use .css to insert small "Donate" one-liner on top of allpages?

    Denis McMahon wrote:

    > I'd use something like the following in each directory:

    > p>|' *.htm
    >
    > Which (untested) would insert a single para after the <body> tag in each
    > htm file, said para containing a link to donate.htm and the text "Please
    > Donate".

    That's the first thing I thought of, Denis. 'Cept none of his pages have
    a <body> tag. :)

    </head>

    <hr>
    <center>

    'Course, I suppose for a first run, he could *add* the missing <body>
    tag. They do have the closing </body> tag, though. Strange...

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 23, 2011
  14. dorayme wrote:
    > Manually? Does my BBedit text editor have hands?

    OP: X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5931

    I don't think so.

    > Or do you think you can't use the simple-minded, dumb, low-rent
    > one to replace over a whole folder in one go? The text is low
    > geek but the editor is smart as hell. I have been trying to
    > persuade you, Jonathan, for how many years?, to come over from
    > the dark side.<g>

    Okay now you have done it, you got me on a tear!

    <rant>
    I build my own computers to my specifications. Why would I buy a
    computer with a price premium with diminished specs and limited choice
    of software saddled with DRM that makes Microsoft-ware look like "Open
    Source"?

    I use standard components and upgrade frequently over years for a
    system, (this new one replace a maxed-out P4 system where some
    components were a decade old). Switch that for where "system upgrade" is
    a euphemism for replace with new model?

    I like the OS to look nice, but ultimately I *need* to get stuff done.
    Icons may be pretty but I still believe data stored in a hierarchical
    structure and browsed by sortable tabular lists is by far more efficient
    than piles of icons and tagged searches. I have no trouble finding stuff
    with 570GB over 2.5TB of drives.

    And now EVERYBODY is trying to emulate a bleeping MAC (oops worse, a
    CELLPHONE) I have a dual boot Win7 and Ubuntu Ocelot, also Windows VM
    with WinXP for some old necessary programs, and just installed
    VirtualBox and have Ocelot in a VM (more handy than the dual boot but I
    lose my dual monitors).

    I was not crazy with Seven, and frustrated with the damn Library refresh
    bug. Never liked MS's stupid drive letters and love FHS. Use Ubuntu for
    my servers and laptops, but some software I need for business prevents
    me from dumping Windows. Ubuntu's GNOME2 weened me from KDE, but this
    new Unity thing...I am trying to see the value. Shuttleworth must be
    infatuated with Jobs. Since 90% of the population are right-handed why
    put the window widgets on the right? And why in hell rip the the
    window-menu from the associated window and stick it up on the top
    panel?!!!! Fine for a freaking cell phone or touch tablet, but I've got
    two monitors! Aside of the confusion of which window the menu is
    associated with (not an issue when it was affixed to that window) but I
    have to swing my mouse cross-country to access it! Not going to do
    touch. I "disarm" anyone who puts grubby finger prints on my monitors!!!

    I am not against change, but change just for change sake? There should
    be some advantage. Change what can be improved, but keep what works.
    </rant>

    See now you did it! ;-)

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 23, 2011
  15. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <4ecc5134$0$28648$>,
    > Denis McMahon <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 00:58:44 +0000, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'd say that this is the key issue. Learning methods to modify
    >>> large collections of files at once almost always pays off over the
    >>> years, and doing so would provide a direct solution: just edit the
    >>> pages to include the desired text directly[1].

    >> I'd use something like the following in each directory:
    >>
    >> sed -i 's|\(<body[^>]*>\)|\1<p><a href="/donate.htm">Please
    >> Donate</a></ p>|' *.htm

    > So much cooler and geekier than the simple-minded, dumb, low-rent
    >
    > Find:
    >
    > body>
    >
    > Replace:
    >
    > body>

    Yes, yes, and yes! Thanks.

    That's what came out after I banged my head a bit, as well.

    It is a bit tedious, but my .html editor WinEdt, has similar search-replace ops
    to BBEdit. No grep search, but still, WinEdt can do global doc replace.

    Then, uploading would be a jiffy, once I perform a search/replace on all open
    docs. All docs do have a <body> tag, so it's no problem.

    The yahoo server does not support server side includes for some odd reason.

    This reply comes from aioe.org, since NONE of the responses are seen from my
    regular service server. Seems everything is going down, again :-(

    Thanks to everyone!
    --
    I.

    I.N. Galidakis, Nov 23, 2011
  16. Re: Use .css to insert small "Donate" one-liner on top of allpages?

    I.N. Galidakis wrote:

    > Then, uploading would be a jiffy, once I perform a search/replace on all
    > open docs. All docs do have a <body> tag, so it's no problem.

    As I mentioned about twelve hours ago, none of your pages that I looked
    at have a <body> tag.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 23, 2011
  17. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > I.N. Galidakis wrote:
    >
    >> Then, uploading would be a jiffy, once I perform a search/replace on
    >> all open docs. All docs do have a <body> tag, so it's no problem.

    > As I mentioned about twelve hours ago, none of your pages that I
    > looked at have a <body> tag.

    WhoOps! How the heck did they validate?

    The appropriate time to add it, then.

    Thanks,
    --
    I.

    I.N. Galidakis, Nov 23, 2011
  18. Re: Use .css to insert small "Donate" one-liner on top of allpages?

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 10:31:05 -0500, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > ... I have ... Ubuntu Ocelot,

    How's that working out? I'm sitting on Narwhal while I decide where to go
    next, I understand mint has added some stuff on top of gnome 3 that makes
    it look more like gnome 2, which is tempting - I like gnome 2.

    Maybe I should Xubuntu? Xfce might be preferable to Gnome 3. Although I
    understand they changed from GDM to something else too ....

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, Nov 23, 2011
  19. Denis McMahon wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 10:31:05 -0500, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> ... I have ... Ubuntu Ocelot,

    > How's that working out? I'm sitting on Narwhal while I decide where to go
    > next, I understand mint has added some stuff on top of gnome 3 that makes
    > it look more like gnome 2, which is tempting - I like gnome 2.

    Well Ocelot is better than Narwhal like getting jabbed with a stick in
    the foot is better than the eye.

    > Maybe I should Xubuntu? Xfce might be preferable to Gnome 3. Although I
    > understand they changed from GDM to something else too ....

    Lubuntu may be closer, but I think the writing is on the wall. The
    Wozniaks are supplanted by the Jobs...the PC as a generic tool with
    endless applications only limited by the user's ingenuity to an
    appliance restricted by the designer to a specific application to
    maximize sales...so the functional adaptable GUI falls to the fixed
    Fisher-Price GUI for the (insert you own derogatory descriptor) who only
    diddles with the device...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 23, 2011
  20. I.N. Galidakis

    dorayme Guest

    In article <jaj87i$9t$>,
    "I.N. Galidakis" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:

    > > Find:
    > >
    > > body>
    > >
    > > Replace:
    > >
    > > body>

    > Yes, yes, and yes! Thanks.
    >
    > That's what came out after I banged my head a bit, as well.
    >
    > It is a bit tedious, but my .html editor WinEdt, has similar search-replace
    > ops
    > to BBEdit. No grep search, but still, WinEdt can do global doc replace.
    >
    > Then, uploading would be a jiffy, once I perform a search/replace on all open
    > docs. All docs do have a <body> tag, so it's no problem.
    >
    > The yahoo server does not support server side includes for some odd reason.
    >
    > This reply comes from aioe.org, since NONE of the responses are seen from my
    > regular service server. Seems everything is going down, again :-(

    Optus, my ISP, dropped their news server the other day.

    "Optus has previously provided usenet service
    (Optus Newsgroup) to customers. However,
    following evaluation of the services that we
    offer to our customers, and the declining
    usage of usenet by our customers over the
    past several years, it is no longer viable to
    continue to provide this service. As a
    result, the usenet service is in the process
    of being disabled and removed. This service
    will close as of 21/11/2011.

    If you still want to use usenet, there are a
    number of commercial usenet providers that
    will be able to provide this service to you."

    I already had a few other newservers because Optus's had broken
    down a few times in past years.

    About your replacement, yes, you can do the above as long as you
    catch what is on each page. I noticed, as did another
    motorcyclist here, that there is no "<body> on some at least of
    your pages. So while at it,

    Find:

    Replace:
    Donate</a></p>

    And add whatever styles you like to the class of "donate".

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 23, 2011