Use FindControl to find DetailsView BoundField control (vb)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by sck10, Nov 3, 2005.

  1. sck10

    sck10 Guest

    Hello,

    I am using the code below to set the values of a DetailsView template field
    using FindControl. My question is how would you find a control if its a
    Boundfield control?

    For example, how would I reference the following BoundField ("NTAccount") in
    the Sub dvDetail_PreRender sub? Any help would be appreciated...

    <asp:BoundField DataField="NTAccount" HeaderText="NT Account" />

    Protected Sub dvDetail_PreRender(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
    EventArgs) Handles dvDetail.PreRender
    If Me.dvDetail.CurrentMode = DetailsViewMode.Edit Then
    CType(Me.dvDetail.FindControl("txtChangeActivityDate"), TextBox).Text =
    Now.ToShortDateString
    End If
    End Sub

    --
    Thanks in advance,

    sck10

    sck10, Nov 3, 2005

  2. You should be able to access the BoundColumns using:

    e.Item.Cells[n].Text; //Each cell represents a bound column.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZQ==?=, Nov 3, 2005

  3. Hi Sck10,

    welcome to ASP.NET newsgroup.
    Regarding on the accesing BoundField nested controls in DetailsView
    control, since it is autogenerated by runtime and will assign a random id
    according to the item index, we can not use FindControl method to locate
    the nested control instance. And yes, you'r right, we need to use the
    PreRender event since at that time , we can ensure that the Control has
    been created and assigned the proper value. For example, when we need to
    access the TextBox in BoundField for Edit mode, we can use the following
    code in DetailsView's PreRender event:

    ======================
    Protected Sub DetailsView1_PreRender(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
    System.EventArgs) Handles DetailsView1.PreRender
    For Each dvr As DetailsViewRow In DetailsView1.Rows
    If dvr.Cells.Count = 2 Then
    If dvr.Cells(1).Controls.Count > 0 Then
    Dim txt As TextBox
    txt = dvr.Cells(1).Controls(0)
    Response.Write("<br>ID: " & txt.ID)
    Response.Write("<br>Text: " & txt.Text)
    End If
    End If
    Next
    End Sub
    ========================

    Also, for such scenario that we need to extract Text value or reference the
    nested controls, I'd prefer using TemplateFields since that'll provide us
    more control on control's properties definition such as ID.....

    In addition, when the binded datasource has large column set, the control's
    controls structure may get very complex, I suggest you try turning on the
    Page's Page level Trace which will display the Page's Control Tree, then we
    can get a clear view of the Page and its sub controls control structure.
    This can help us easily locate the nested controls throug index...

    Hope helps. Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 4, 2005
  4. Hi Sck10,

    How are you doing on this issue? Does the suggestion in my last reply helps
    a little? If there're anything else we can help, please feel free to post
    here. Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)
    --------------------
    | From: (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
    | Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 07:50:30 GMT
    | Subject: RE: Use FindControl to find DetailsView BoundField control (vb)
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    |
    | Hi Sck10,
    |
    | welcome to ASP.NET newsgroup.
    | Regarding on the accesing BoundField nested controls in DetailsView
    | control, since it is autogenerated by runtime and will assign a random id
    | according to the item index, we can not use FindControl method to locate
    | the nested control instance. And yes, you'r right, we need to use the
    | PreRender event since at that time , we can ensure that the Control has
    | been created and assigned the proper value. For example, when we need to
    | access the TextBox in BoundField for Edit mode, we can use the following
    | code in DetailsView's PreRender event:
    |
    | ======================
    | Protected Sub DetailsView1_PreRender(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
    | System.EventArgs) Handles DetailsView1.PreRender
    | For Each dvr As DetailsViewRow In DetailsView1.Rows
    | If dvr.Cells.Count = 2 Then
    | If dvr.Cells(1).Controls.Count > 0 Then
    | Dim txt As TextBox
    | txt = dvr.Cells(1).Controls(0)
    | Response.Write("<br>ID: " & txt.ID)
    | Response.Write("<br>Text: " & txt.Text)
    | End If
    | End If
    | Next
    | End Sub
    | ========================
    |
    | Also, for such scenario that we need to extract Text value or reference
    the
    | nested controls, I'd prefer using TemplateFields since that'll provide us
    | more control on control's properties definition such as ID.....
    |
    | In addition, when the binded datasource has large column set, the
    control's
    | controls structure may get very complex, I suggest you try turning on the
    | Page's Page level Trace which will display the Page's Control Tree, then
    we
    | can get a clear view of the Page and its sub controls control structure.
    | This can help us easily locate the nested controls throug index...
    |
    | Hope helps. Thanks,
    |
    | Steven Cheng
    | Microsoft Online Support

    | rights.)
    |

    | --------------------
    | | From: "sck10" <>
    | | Subject: Use FindControl to find DetailsView BoundField control (vb)
    | | Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 13:35:30 -0600
    | | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    | |
    | | Hello,
    | |
    | | I am using the code below to set the values of a DetailsView template
    | field
    | | using FindControl. My question is how would you find a control if its a
    | | Boundfield control?
    | |
    | | For example, how would I reference the following BoundField
    ("NTAccount")
    | in
    | | the Sub dvDetail_PreRender sub? Any help would be appreciated...
    | |
    | | <asp:BoundField DataField="NTAccount" HeaderText="NT Account" />
    | |
    | | Protected Sub dvDetail_PreRender(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
    | | EventArgs) Handles dvDetail.PreRender
    | | If Me.dvDetail.CurrentMode = DetailsViewMode.Edit Then
    | | CType(Me.dvDetail.FindControl("txtChangeActivityDate"),
    TextBox).Text
    | =
    | | Now.ToShortDateString
    | | End If
    | | End Sub
    | |
    | | --
    | | Thanks in advance,
    | |
    | | sck10
    | |
    | |
    | |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 9, 2005
  5. sck10

    sck10 Guest

    Thanks Steven,

    My issue is resolved.

    sck10

    sck10, Nov 9, 2005
  6. Thanks for your followup Sck10,

    Please feel free to post here when you need our assistance.
    Good luck!

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------
    | From: "sck10" <>
    | Subject: Re: Use FindControl to find DetailsView BoundField control (vb)
    | Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 14:34:11 -0600
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    |
    | Thanks Steven,
    |
    | My issue is resolved.
    |
    | sck10
    |

    | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    | > Hi Sck10,
    | >
    | > How are you doing on this issue? Does the suggestion in my last reply
    | helps
    | > a little? If there're anything else we can help, please feel free to
    post
    | > here. Thanks,
    | >
    | > Steven Cheng
    | > Microsoft Online Support

    | > rights.)
    | > --------------------
    | > | From: (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
    | > | Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 07:50:30 GMT
    | > | Subject: RE: Use FindControl to find DetailsView BoundField control
    (vb)
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    | > |
    | > | Hi Sck10,
    | > |
    | > | welcome to ASP.NET newsgroup.
    | > | Regarding on the accesing BoundField nested controls in DetailsView
    | > | control, since it is autogenerated by runtime and will assign a random
    | id
    | > | according to the item index, we can not use FindControl method to
    locate
    | > | the nested control instance. And yes, you'r right, we need to use the
    | > | PreRender event since at that time , we can ensure that the Control
    has
    | > | been created and assigned the proper value. For example, when we need
    | > | access the TextBox in BoundField for Edit mode, we can use the
    following
    | > | code in DetailsView's PreRender event:
    | > |
    | > | ======================
    | > | Protected Sub DetailsView1_PreRender(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e
    As
    | > | System.EventArgs) Handles DetailsView1.PreRender
    | > | For Each dvr As DetailsViewRow In DetailsView1.Rows
    | > | If dvr.Cells.Count = 2 Then
    | > | If dvr.Cells(1).Controls.Count > 0 Then
    | > | Dim txt As TextBox
    | > | txt = dvr.Cells(1).Controls(0)
    | > | Response.Write("<br>ID: " & txt.ID)
    | > | Response.Write("<br>Text: " & txt.Text)
    | > | End If
    | > | End If
    | > | Next
    | > | End Sub
    | > | ========================
    | > |
    | > | Also, for such scenario that we need to extract Text value or
    reference
    | > the
    | > | nested controls, I'd prefer using TemplateFields since that'll provide
    | us
    | > | more control on control's properties definition such as ID.....
    | > |
    | > | In addition, when the binded datasource has large column set, the
    | > control's
    | > | controls structure may get very complex, I suggest you try turning on
    | the
    | > | Page's Page level Trace which will display the Page's Control Tree,
    then
    | > we
    | > | can get a clear view of the Page and its sub controls control
    structure.
    | > | This can help us easily locate the nested controls throug index...
    | > |
    | > | Hope helps. Thanks,
    | > |
    | > | Steven Cheng
    | > | Microsoft Online Support
    | > |
    | > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    | > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
    | > | rights.)
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | --------------------
    | > | |
    | > ("NTAccount")
    | > | in
    | > | |
    | > TextBox).Text
    | > | =
    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > |
    | > |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 10, 2005
  7. sck10

    UdayGaikwad

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2011
    Messages:

    If I use 'foreach (DetailsViewRow dvr in DetailsView1)', I came across following error:
    foreach statement cannot operate on variables of type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.DetailsView' because 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.DetailsView' does not contain a public definition for 'GetEnumerator' C:\Users\abc\Default.aspx.cs

    UdayGaikwad, Oct 24, 2011