Use Function Pointer Instead Friend?

Immortal Nephi

I design a class for general purpose. I do not allow a client to read
or modify interface and implemention. I allow them to write a new non-
member function outside of class' interface and implmention. The
problem is that non-member function cannot access private data member.

The friend keyword is not the solution. I am aware that friend
keyword allows the non-member function to access private data member.

If you define more than two non-member functions, you will want one of
some non-member function to be pointed to the member function pointer
at run-time. The client can decide to remove first non-member
function from the member function pointer and add another non-member
function at run-time. The member function pointer array is not
necessary according to my design.

Does it mean that it is the only solution to access public data member
only?

Take a look at my example code below.

#ifndef A_H
#define A_H

class A
{
public:
typedef void (*Func_Ptr)(A &);

A(void);
~A(void);

void Run(void);
void Set_Func_Ptr(Func_Ptr);

private:
friend void Non_Member_Func(A &);

Func_Ptr Member_Func_Ptr;

public:
int W;
int X;

private:
int Y;
int Z;
};

#endif // A_H

// A_CPP
#include "A.h"

A::A(void)
{
W = 1;
X = 2;
Y = 3;
Z = 4;
}

A::~A(void)

void A::Run(void)
{
Non_Member_Func( *this );
Member_Func_Ptr( *this );
}

void A::Set_Func_Ptr(Func_Ptr Ptr)
{
Member_Func_Ptr = Ptr;
}

// MAIN_CPP
#include <stdio.h>
#include "A.h"

void Non_Member_Func(A &a)
{
a.W *= 2; // Can access public
a.X *= 2; // can access public
a.Y *= 2; // can access private
a.Z *= 2; // can access private

printf("W: %d\nX: %d\nY: %d\nZ: %d\n", a.W, a.X, a.Y, a.Z);
}

void Member_Func(A &a)
{
a.W *= 2;
a.X *= 2;

// a.Y += 4; // Error can't access private
// a.Z += 6; // Error can't access private

printf("W: %d\nX: %d\n", a.W, a.X);
}

void Member_Func2(A &a)
{
a.W *= 4;
a.X *= 4;

// a.Y += 4; // Error can't access private
// a.Z += 6; // Error can't access private

printf("W: %d\nX: %d\n", a.W, a.X);
}

int main(void)
{
A a;

Non_Member_Func( a );

a.Set_Func_Ptr( Member_Func );
a.Run();

a.Set_Func_Ptr( Member_Func2) ;
a.Run();

return 0;

HL

[...]

A::A(void)
{
W = 1;
X = 2;
Y = 3;
Z = 4;

}

A::~A(void)

void A::Run(void)
{
Non_Member_Func( *this );
Member_Func_Ptr( *this );

}

[...]

I don't know if I understand your purpose to design such a class. It's
weird to allow client to write a non-member function to access private
member of a general purpose interface class. If you design a class for
general purpose, you may only make interface ( or public member )
exposed to client users rather than implementation ( private member).
If the user can write non-member to directly access private member,
why C++ need access control? except you use some trickery by access
its memory directly.

Erik Wikström

[...]

I'm not at all sure what you are trying to accomplish. If you want the
user to be able to add functionality to your class without changing it
you should declare the relevant member protected and allow the user to
derived from it.