Use global assembly cache for referenced assemblies

Guest

I need some direction on how to configure IIS to use assemblies from the GAC
instead of bin. I install assemblies in the GAC but IIS 6.0 doesn't find
them. What's the secret?

Many thanks...

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello John,

From your description, your ASP.NET application deploy in a IIS6 server
will always bypass the GAC and load a certain assembly from bin directory,
correct?

As for this issue, I'm wondering whether the problem is specific to that
particular assembly or all other strong-named custom assemblies or system
assemblies? As for ASP.NET runtime, if the referenced target assembly is
strong-named, it should always lookup the GAC first and then private bin
folder.

I suggest you try running the application which load that certain assemby
on some other IIS machine to see whether this is always the case. If this
is the one server that suffers the problem, you can compare the environment
setting between the different boxes. for example, is the IIS server on
this machine been extended with share point service or whether you've
explicitly add any custom version policy on the machine?

For general assembly loading troubleshooting, we recommend you run the
assembly binding log viewer which can record the runtime assembly binding
steps of a certain process(host CLR). You can lookup how the ASP.NET
runtime locate the certain assembly:

#Assembly Binding Log Viewer (Fuslogvw.exe)
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e74a18c4.aspx

Please feel free to let me know if there is anything I missed.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.