    that windows xp will recoginze in ODBC data source administrator?

    2) If my database in located on another machine, how to setup the data
    source in ODBC data source adminstrator?
    david wolf, Mar 21, 2006

  2. david wolf

    jlowery05 Guest

    jlowery05, Mar 21, 2006

  3. "david wolf" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am writing a java program to access oracle database. My understanding
    > is that in order to do that I have to:
    >
    > 1) install oracle odbc driver in the windows xp.
    >
    > 2) setup a data source name in windows control panel's data source
    > manager.
    >
    > 3) Download the oracle jdbc driver which is a jar file.
    >
    > 3) Write the java code to connect to the database.
    >
    > My question is:
    >
    > 1) Where can I get oracle odbc driver that can be installed in windows
    > that windows xp will recoginze in ODBC data source administrator?
    >
    > 2) If my database in located on another machine, how to setup the data
    > source in ODBC data source adminstrator?

    How about using JDBC?

    http://jcsnippets.atspace.com/java/database/connect-to-oracle-database.html

    Best regards,

    JayCee
    --
    http://jcsnippets.atspace.com/
    a collection of source code, tips and tricks
    jcsnippets.atspace.com, Mar 23, 2006
  4. david wolf

    steve Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 01:38:18 +0800, david wolf wrote
    (in article <>):

    > I am writing a java program to access oracle database. My understanding
    > is that in order to do that I have to:
    >
    > 1) install oracle odbc driver in the windows xp.
    >
    > 2) setup a data source name in windows control panel's data source
    > manager.
    >
    > 3) Download the oracle jdbc driver which is a jar file.
    >
    > 3) Write the java code to connect to the database.

    you only need no 3.
    > My question is:
    >
    > 1) Where can I get oracle odbc driver that can be installed in windows
    > that windows xp will recoginze in ODBC data source administrator?

    odbc drivers for oracle can be downloaded from their site.
    > 2) If my database in located on another machine, how to setup the data
    > source in ODBC data source adminstrator?

    access to offsite databases is via a url or an ip address.

    steve, Mar 30, 2006