use library

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Bart the bear, Feb 10, 2006.

  1. I have to untangle somebody else's code and I ran accross the pragma
    "use library".
    I cannot find in the "Programming Perl" or anywhere else. Can somebody
    tell me what
    that pragma does or where to find the description?
    TIA
     
    Bart the bear, Feb 10, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "Bart the bear" <> wrote in
    news::

    > I have to untangle somebody else's code and I ran accross the pragma
    > "use library". I cannot find in the "Programming Perl" or anywhere else.
    > Can somebody tell me what that pragma does or where to find the
    > description?


    There are two possibilities:

    (1) Someone was being cute, and they named their module library.pm

    (2) Or, your post is inaccurate, and the statement is actually:

    use lib '/some/path';

    If it is (1), find the module library.pm that is being used. If it is (2),
    then read

    perldoc lib

    Sinan
     
    A. Sinan Unur, Feb 10, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Bart the bear

    J. Gleixner Guest

    Bart the bear wrote:
    > I have to untangle somebody else's code and I ran accross the pragma
    > "use library".
    > I cannot find in the "Programming Perl" or anywhere else. Can somebody
    > tell me what
    > that pragma does or where to find the description?


    ahhhh.. is there a library.pm in @INC?
     
    J. Gleixner, Feb 10, 2006
    #3
  4. A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    > "Bart the bear" <> wrote in
    > news::
    >
    > > I have to untangle somebody else's code and I ran accross the pragma
    > > "use library". I cannot find in the "Programming Perl" or anywhere else.
    > > Can somebody tell me what that pragma does or where to find the
    > > description?

    >
    > There are two possibilities:
    >
    > (1) Someone was being cute, and they named their module library.pm
    >
    > (2) Or, your post is inaccurate, and the statement is actually:
    >
    > use lib '/some/path';
    >
    > If it is (1), find the module library.pm that is being used. If it is (2),
    > then read
    >
    > perldoc lib
    >
    > Sinan


    My post was inaccurate. It was the use lib 'var'. You solved my
    problem.
    Thanks!
     
    Bart the bear, Feb 10, 2006
    #4
  5. Bart the bear <> wrote:

    > I have to untangle somebody else's code and I ran accross the pragma
    > "use library".
    > I cannot find in the "Programming Perl" or anywhere else. Can somebody
    > tell me what
    > that pragma does or where to find the description?



    perldoc library


    should work if whoever wrote library.pm actully made some
    documentation for their module.


    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Fort Worth, Texas
     
    Tad McClellan, Feb 11, 2006
    #5
  6. Bart the bear <> wrote:
    >
    > A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    >> "Bart the bear" <> wrote in
    >> news::
    >>
    >> > I have to untangle somebody else's code and I ran accross the pragma
    >> > "use library". I cannot find in the "Programming Perl" or anywhere else.
    >> > Can somebody tell me what that pragma does or where to find the
    >> > description?

    >>
    >> There are two possibilities:
    >>
    >> (1) Someone was being cute, and they named their module library.pm
    >>
    >> (2) Or, your post is inaccurate, and the statement is actually:
    >>
    >> use lib '/some/path';
    >>
    >> If it is (1), find the module library.pm that is being used. If it is (2),
    >> then read
    >>
    >> perldoc lib
    >>
    >> Sinan

    >
    > My post was inaccurate.



    So you wasted the time of hundreds of people.

    You can use up all of your coupons very quickly if you don't take
    a bit of care when composing posts.


    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Fort Worth, Texas
     
    Tad McClellan, Feb 11, 2006
    #6
  7. Tad, please do not misunderestimate me. I humbly apologize to all the
    opressed
    masses of the world that I helped further opress with my lack of
    precision. You are
    hereby granted the right to draw a cartoon of my person. I promise not
    to torch down anything if you decide to do so.
     
    Bart the bear, Feb 14, 2006
    #7
  8. "Bart the bear" <> wrote in
    news::

    [ Please quote an appropriate amount of context when you post a reply ]

    > Tad, please do not misunderestimate me. I humbly apologize to all the
    > opressed
    > masses of the world that I helped further opress with my lack of
    > precision. You are
    > hereby granted the right to draw a cartoon of my person. I promise not
    > to torch down anything if you decide to do so.


    Snide remarks like this are not appreciated here. Tad has done you a
    service by showing you how to ensure continued assistance here.

    In addition, I have noticed that GG now quotes the message you are
    replying to by default, so it is incumbent upon you to quote properly by
    trimming the message down to the most relevant bits.

    *Sigh*

    Sinan

    PS: On a somewhat related note, I noticed that GG users now get to rate
    newsgroup posts. Arrrghh!

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>
    (reverse each component and remove .invalid for email address)

    comp.lang.perl.misc guidelines on the WWW:
    http://mail.augustmail.com/~tadmc/clpmisc/clpmisc_guidelines.html
     
    A. Sinan Unur, Feb 14, 2006
    #8
  9. Bart the bear

    DJ Stunks Guest

    > <this context intentionally left blank>

    *my* broken google reply button is still broken...

    -jp
     
    DJ Stunks, Feb 14, 2006
    #9
  10. Bart the bear

    Guest

    DJ Stunks wrote:
    > > <this context intentionally left blank>

    >
    > *my* broken google reply button is still broken...
    >
    > -jp


    A-ha! I did not realize that they had moved the stupid Reply link to
    the bottom of the page with the rating stuff. I thought now one could
    only reply via "more options".

    Sorry about the false jubilation ... The stupid rating system is really
    stupid though ;-)

    Sinan
     
    , Feb 14, 2006
    #10
  11. A. Sinan Unur wrote:

    > PS: On a somewhat related note, I noticed that GG users now get to rate
    > newsgroup posts. Arrrghh!


    Anybody cares?
    I don't. If I post a reply (or a question), I rate my posting by the
    replies I get, ignoring whether somebody else thinks my posting is great
    or <insert you favorite derogative word here>.
    I do not post for good google ratings but to help people as good as I am
    capable. If GG thinks my postings are crap, then people using GG won't
    accept my excellent;-) help. Suit themselves.

    My 2 Euro-Cents,

    Josef
    --
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
    If failure had no penalty success would not be a prize
    -- T. Pratchett
     
    Josef Moellers, Feb 15, 2006
    #11
  12. Bart the bear

    Bart Lateur Guest

    Tad McClellan wrote:

    >> My post was inaccurate.

    >
    >
    >So you wasted the time of hundreds of people.


    Oh, gee, I don't know. I often notice that newbies ignore telltale
    signals like case and exact spelling when debugging. To these people,

    use foo;

    and

    use Foo;

    mean the same thing... Which to people with sufficient experience in
    perl, they clearly aren't.

    Posts like these can teach those people to not ignore such signs.

    --
    Bart.
     
    Bart Lateur, Feb 15, 2006
    #12
  13. Bart the bear

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    Bart Lateur schreef:
    > Tad McClellan wrote:
    >> $someone:


    >>> My post was inaccurate.

    >>
    >> So you wasted the time of hundreds of people.

    >
    > Oh, gee, I don't know. I often notice that newbies ignore telltale
    > signals like case and exact spelling when debugging. To these people,
    >
    > use foo;
    >
    > and
    >
    > use Foo;
    >
    > mean the same thing... Which to people with sufficient experience in
    > perl, they clearly aren't.


    s/perl/Perl/

    > Posts like these can teach those people to not ignore such signs.


    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."
     
    Dr.Ruud, Feb 15, 2006
    #13
  14. A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    > "Bart the bear" <> wrote in
    > news::
    >
    > [ Please quote an appropriate amount of context when you post a reply ]
    >
    > > Tad, please do not misunderestimate me. I humbly apologize to all the
    > > opressed
    > > masses of the world that I helped further opress with my lack of
    > > precision. You are
    > > hereby granted the right to draw a cartoon of my person. I promise not
    > > to torch down anything if you decide to do so.

    >
    > Snide remarks like this are not appreciated here. Tad has done you a
    > service by showing you how to ensure continued assistance here.


    I accepted and corrected my mistake. In addition to that, I find Tad's
    comment
    snide and over the line. Therefore, I replied with a dose of humor,
    characteristic
    for us, godless liberals from NYC. Hopefully, humor is still not
    politically incorrect?
    Not even in TX?
    Thank you very much for your answer, I really appreciate this. The
    question was
    written in a hurry and was not precise enough. Talking about "wasting
    time of
    hundreds of people" is a wee bit exaggerated and over the top, to put
    it mildly.
    You gave me the answer I was looking for and you refrained from sermons
    because
    of my lack of precision. Thanks again, for both.
     
    Bart the bear, Feb 15, 2006
    #14
  15. "Bart the bear" <> wrote in
    news::

    >
    > A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    >> "Bart the bear" <> wrote in
    >> news::
    >>
    >> [ Please quote an appropriate amount of context when you post a
    >> reply ]
    >>
    >> > Tad, please do not misunderestimate me. I humbly apologize to all
    >> > the opressed masses of the world that I helped further opress with
    >> > my lack of precision. You are hereby granted the right to draw a
    >> > cartoon of my person. I promise not to torch down anything if you
    >> > decide to do so.

    >>
    >> Snide remarks like this are not appreciated here. Tad has done you a
    >> service by showing you how to ensure continued assistance here.

    >
    > I accepted and corrected my mistake. In addition to that, I find Tad's
    > comment snide and over the line. Therefore, I replied with a dose of
    > humor, characteristic for us, godless liberals from NYC.


    I don't understand what being a godless liberal form NYC has anything to
    do with anything. Are you imputing political ideology based on where Tad
    is from? Are you implying that somehow has determines how he posts? In
    the same vein, given that I am Muslim, are you implying that I am
    intolerant because some dimwits are burning down embassies?

    I am not sure if you have noticed but this is a technical discussion
    group.

    > Hopefully, humor is still not politically incorrect?


    Yours is not humor. Besides, I thought political correctness was
    invented by liberals.

    > Not even in TX?


    Dunno ...

    > Thank you very much for your answer, I really appreciate this.


    You are welcome, and I appreciate that you appreciate the help.

    > The question was written in a hurry and was not precise enough.
    > Talking about "wasting time of hundreds of people" is a wee bit
    > exaggerated and over the top, to put it mildly.


    It is not. The alternative to posting an imprecise question in a hurry
    was for you to spend, oh, say, two more minutes of your time to post a
    precise question.

    Your post was read by hundreds of people. Most of them, such as myself,
    spent more than a couple of minutes of their time reading your question,
    and trying to figure out what it means. So, by not spending the extra
    two minutes, you caused others to spend about 200 minutes of their time
    trying to figure out what you were talking about. That is the very
    definition of wasting others' time.

    I got lucky, and was able to correctly guess the precise way in which
    you were being imprecise.

    > You gave me the answer I was looking for and you refrained from
    > sermons because of my lack of precision. Thanks again, for both.


    Again, you are welcome for both, but I have a feeling you are going to
    be disappointed after having read this post.

    Tad knew you had received an answer, but warned you that continued posts
    in the same vein would not be deserving of our attention. That was an
    appropriate warning.

    There are more people who need help than people who are willing and able
    to give help. So, given the choice, we will naturally gravitate more
    towards posts that are precise, and posters, whom we feel, do not waste
    our time.

    Sinan
    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>
    (reverse each component and remove .invalid for email address)

    comp.lang.perl.misc guidelines on the WWW:
    http://mail.augustmail.com/~tadmc/clpmisc/clpmisc_guidelines.html
     
    A. Sinan Unur, Feb 15, 2006
    #15
  16. A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    > Yours is not humor. Besides, I thought political correctness was
    > invented by liberals.


    You thought wrong. I believe that this is an appropriate place to
    terminate
    this thread. I do not have time for flame wars. I did let him know what
    I think of his self-righteous attitude and that's where it ends. Thanks
    again for your help.
     
    Bart the bear, Feb 15, 2006
    #16
  17. Samwyse <> writes:

    > I wonder how hard it would be to auto-rate certain posters....


    Easy, with Gnus: L a e p <enter>

    That lowers the score for the author of the current post. You could
    even lower the score of all posts have googlegroups.com in their
    references header: L r s p .*googlegroups.com.* <enter>


    --
    Aaron --
    http://360.yahoo.com/aaron_baugher
     
    Aaron Baugher, Feb 16, 2006
    #17
  18. Bart Lateur <> wrote:
    > Tad McClellan wrote:
    >
    >>> My post was inaccurate.

    >>
    >>
    >>So you wasted the time of hundreds of people.

    >
    > Oh, gee, I don't know. I often notice that newbies ignore telltale
    > signals like case and exact spelling when debugging.



    He said that there were four characters in his source code
    that were not in his actual source code.

    Asking for help debugging the wrong program (that does not even exist!)
    seems like an all-around waste of time to me and indicates a lack
    of care taken by the OP.


    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Fort Worth, Texas
     
    Tad McClellan, Feb 16, 2006
    #18
  19. Bart the bear <> wrote:

    > I do not have time for flame wars.



    Then you should be more respectful of other people's time.


    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Fort Worth, Texas
     
    Tad McClellan, Feb 16, 2006
    #19
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mythran
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,486
    Mythran
    Aug 24, 2004
  2. Alan Ferrandiz [MCT]
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    469
    Alan Ferrandiz [MCT]
    Sep 11, 2004
  3. Sweep

    Library in library...

    Sweep, Dec 8, 2003, in forum: C++
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    413
    Jack Klein
    Dec 9, 2003
  4. Replies:
    6
    Views:
    884
    red floyd
    May 10, 2005
  5. iceColdFire

    Static library Vs. Dynamic library

    iceColdFire, May 17, 2005, in forum: C++
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    17,120
Loading...

Share This Page