use library

Bart the bear

I have to untangle somebody else's code and I ran accross the pragma
"use library".
I cannot find in the "Programming Perl" or anywhere else. Can somebody
tell me what
that pragma does or where to find the description?
TIA

A. Sinan Unur

I have to untangle somebody else's code and I ran accross the pragma
"use library". I cannot find in the "Programming Perl" or anywhere else.
Can somebody tell me what that pragma does or where to find the
description?

There are two possibilities:

(1) Someone was being cute, and they named their module library.pm

(2) Or, your post is inaccurate, and the statement is actually:

use lib '/some/path';

If it is (1), find the module library.pm that is being used. If it is (2),
then read

perldoc lib

Sinan

J. Gleixner

Bart said:
I have to untangle somebody else's code and I ran accross the pragma
"use library".
I cannot find in the "Programming Perl" or anywhere else. Can somebody
tell me what
that pragma does or where to find the description?

ahhhh.. is there a library.pm in @INC?

Bart the bear

A. Sinan Unur said:
There are two possibilities:

(1) Someone was being cute, and they named their module library.pm

(2) Or, your post is inaccurate, and the statement is actually:

use lib '/some/path';

If it is (1), find the module library.pm that is being used. If it is (2),
then read

perldoc lib

Sinan

My post was inaccurate. It was the use lib 'var'. You solved my
problem.
Thanks!

Tad McClellan

Bart the bear said:
I have to untangle somebody else's code and I ran accross the pragma
"use library".
I cannot find in the "Programming Perl" or anywhere else. Can somebody
tell me what
that pragma does or where to find the description?

perldoc library

should work if whoever wrote library.pm actully made some
documentation for their module.

Tad McClellan

Bart the bear said:
My post was inaccurate.

So you wasted the time of hundreds of people.

You can use up all of your coupons very quickly if you don't take
a bit of care when composing posts.

Bart the bear

Tad, please do not misunderestimate me. I humbly apologize to all the
opressed
masses of the world that I helped further opress with my lack of
precision. You are
hereby granted the right to draw a cartoon of my person. I promise not
to torch down anything if you decide to do so.

A. Sinan Unur

[ Please quote an appropriate amount of context when you post a reply ]
Tad, please do not misunderestimate me. I humbly apologize to all the
opressed
masses of the world that I helped further opress with my lack of
precision. You are
hereby granted the right to draw a cartoon of my person. I promise not
to torch down anything if you decide to do so.

Snide remarks like this are not appreciated here. Tad has done you a
service by showing you how to ensure continued assistance here.

In addition, I have noticed that GG now quotes the message you are
replying to by default, so it is incumbent upon you to quote properly by
trimming the message down to the most relevant bits.

*Sigh*

Sinan

PS: On a somewhat related note, I noticed that GG users now get to rate
newsgroup posts. Arrrghh!

DJ Stunks

<this context intentionally left blank>

*my* broken google reply button is still broken...

-jp

1

1usa

DJ said:
*my* broken google reply button is still broken...

-jp

A-ha! I did not realize that they had moved the stupid Reply link to
the bottom of the page with the rating stuff. I thought now one could
only reply via "more options".

Sorry about the false jubilation ... The stupid rating system is really
stupid though ;-)

Sinan

Josef Moellers

A. Sinan Unur said:
PS: On a somewhat related note, I noticed that GG users now get to rate
newsgroup posts. Arrrghh!

Anybody cares?
I don't. If I post a reply (or a question), I rate my posting by the
replies I get, ignoring whether somebody else thinks my posting is great
or <insert you favorite derogative word here>.
I do not post for good google ratings but to help people as good as I am
capable. If GG thinks my postings are crap, then people using GG won't
accept my excellent;-) help. Suit themselves.

My 2 Euro-Cents,

Josef

Bart Lateur

Tad said:
So you wasted the time of hundreds of people.

Oh, gee, I don't know. I often notice that newbies ignore telltale
signals like case and exact spelling when debugging. To these people,

use foo;

and

use Foo;

mean the same thing... Which to people with sufficient experience in
perl, they clearly aren't.

Posts like these can teach those people to not ignore such signs.

Dr.Ruud

Bart Lateur schreef:
Oh, gee, I don't know. I often notice that newbies ignore telltale
signals like case and exact spelling when debugging. To these people,

use foo;

and

use Foo;

mean the same thing... Which to people with sufficient experience in
perl, they clearly aren't.
s/perl/Perl/

A. Sinan Unur said:
[ Please quote an appropriate amount of context when you post a reply ]
Tad, please do not misunderestimate me. I humbly apologize to all the
opressed
masses of the world that I helped further opress with my lack of
precision. You are
hereby granted the right to draw a cartoon of my person. I promise not
to torch down anything if you decide to do so.

Snide remarks like this are not appreciated here. Tad has done you a
service by showing you how to ensure continued assistance here.

I accepted and corrected my mistake. In addition to that, I find Tad's
comment
snide and over the line. Therefore, I replied with a dose of humor,
characteristic
for us, godless liberals from NYC. Hopefully, humor is still not
politically incorrect?
Not even in TX?
Thank you very much for your answer, I really appreciate this. The
question was
written in a hurry and was not precise enough. Talking about "wasting
time of
hundreds of people" is a wee bit exaggerated and over the top, to put
it mildly.
You gave me the answer I was looking for and you refrained from sermons
because
of my lack of precision. Thanks again, for both.

A. Sinan Unur

A. Sinan Unur said:
[ Please quote an appropriate amount of context when you post a
reply ]
Tad, please do not misunderestimate me. I humbly apologize to all
the opressed masses of the world that I helped further opress with
my lack of precision. You are hereby granted the right to draw a
cartoon of my person. I promise not to torch down anything if you
decide to do so.

Snide remarks like this are not appreciated here. Tad has done you a
service by showing you how to ensure continued assistance here.

I accepted and corrected my mistake. In addition to that, I find Tad's
comment snide and over the line. Therefore, I replied with a dose of
humor, characteristic for us, godless liberals from NYC.

I don't understand what being a godless liberal form NYC has anything to
do with anything. Are you imputing political ideology based on where Tad
is from? Are you implying that somehow has determines how he posts? In
the same vein, given that I am Muslim, are you implying that I am
intolerant because some dimwits are burning down embassies?

I am not sure if you have noticed but this is a technical discussion
group.
Hopefully, humor is still not politically incorrect?

Yours is not humor. Besides, I thought political correctness was
invented by liberals.
Not even in TX?

Dunno ...
Thank you very much for your answer, I really appreciate this.

You are welcome, and I appreciate that you appreciate the help.
The question was written in a hurry and was not precise enough.
Talking about "wasting time of hundreds of people" is a wee bit
exaggerated and over the top, to put it mildly.

It is not. The alternative to posting an imprecise question in a hurry
was for you to spend, oh, say, two more minutes of your time to post a
precise question.

spent more than a couple of minutes of their time reading your question,
and trying to figure out what it means. So, by not spending the extra
two minutes, you caused others to spend about 200 minutes of their time
trying to figure out what you were talking about. That is the very
definition of wasting others' time.

I got lucky, and was able to correctly guess the precise way in which
you were being imprecise.
You gave me the answer I was looking for and you refrained from
sermons because of my lack of precision. Thanks again, for both.

Again, you are welcome for both, but I have a feeling you are going to
be disappointed after having read this post.

Tad knew you had received an answer, but warned you that continued posts
in the same vein would not be deserving of our attention. That was an
appropriate warning.

There are more people who need help than people who are willing and able
to give help. So, given the choice, we will naturally gravitate more
towards posts that are precise, and posters, whom we feel, do not waste
our time.

Sinan

Bart the bear

A. Sinan Unur said:
Yours is not humor. Besides, I thought political correctness was
invented by liberals.

You thought wrong. I believe that this is an appropriate place to
terminate
this thread. I do not have time for flame wars. I did let him know what
I think of his self-righteous attitude and that's where it ends. Thanks
again for your help.

Aaron Baugher

Samwyse said:
I wonder how hard it would be to auto-rate certain posters....

Easy, with Gnus: L a e p <enter>

That lowers the score for the author of the current post. You could
even lower the score of all posts have googlegroups.com in their
references header: L r s p .*googlegroups.com.* <enter>

Tad McClellan

Bart Lateur said:
Oh, gee, I don't know. I often notice that newbies ignore telltale
signals like case and exact spelling when debugging.

He said that there were four characters in his source code
that were not in his actual source code.

Asking for help debugging the wrong program (that does not even exist!)
seems like an all-around waste of time to me and indicates a lack
of care taken by the OP.