Use of applet unwise?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Nick Mirro, May 10, 2005.

  1. Nick Mirro

    Nick Mirro Guest

    We are trying to decide if adding a java applet to our java site is a good
    idea. Please provide any opinions. We are providing an online image
    processing utility. It will interconvert formats (tif, png, jpg) and will
    resample and crop.

    The difficult part is enabling image cropping with a fixed (1:1.5) aspect
    ratio.

    Applet allows user to apply cropping in a user-friendly way, e.g. move
    cropping area with mouse, reload original image, etc. All the changes being
    made locally. Using http tunnelling applet will send pending changes to
    server side and apply them to a temporary image.

    One of our developer's assessments:

    Pros:
    - Allows rich/dynamic UI (e.g. drag crop rectangle)
    - Can perform arbitrary functions on lient side, of course with respect to
    security policies
    - Whith http tunneling it is possible to call server-side functions
    - Not browser-specific

    Cons:
    - Generally requires java on server for server-side communication (not an
    issue in this case)
    - UI takes more efforts to develop than with regular HTML
    - Require users to install Java Plugin if they dont have one
    - As a client-server module, requires additional efforts in establishing
    developent/debug environment.

    Nick

    Nick Mirro, May 10, 2005

  2. Nick Mirro wrote:
    > We are trying to decide if adding a java applet to our java site is a

    good
    > idea.

    Prety simple actually. Can you accomlish the same task without it?

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, May 10, 2005

  3. Nick Mirro wrote:
    > We are trying to decide if adding a java applet

    > The difficult part is enabling image cropping with a fixed (1:1.5)

    aspect
    > ratio.

    You might want to take a look at:

    http://koivi.com/image-crop-selection/

    I've hacked it to allow the user to start in any corner (then I
    submitted the patch to the author only to discover he had already done
    that in the (currently unpublished) development version), and to fix
    the aspect ratio. (I've also set it to output the coords to a form
    rather then keeping them in JavaScript as I plan to stick a few other
    options in there and use it as part of my CMS).

    http://dorward.me.uk/tmp/test_image/

    It doesn't do everything you want (at least not yet), but it is
    JavaScript based, so you don't need to get people to install any
    plugins (they do need to be using a compatable browser, I've only tried
    in in Firefox).

    David Dorward, May 10, 2005
  4. Nick Mirro

    Nick Mirro Guest

    Thanks for showing me this site. I have forwarded the url to our developer.
    I think we will give the users an option of either an applet or a javascript
    utility like this.

    I cannot tell from the site's utility. Is it possible to somehow select and
    set a fixed aspect ratio? We use only 1:1.5 and 1.5:1.

    Nick

    Nick Mirro, May 10, 2005
  5. Nick Mirro wrote:
    > I cannot tell from the site's utility. Is it possible to
    > somehow select and set a fixed aspect ratio? We use only
    > 1:1.5 and 1.5:1.

    The original? No.

    My hacked version?

    >> to fix the aspect ratio.

    - thats a "Yes", but the ratio (1:1) is (currently) hard coded into the
    script.

    I'm planning to extend it to allow the user to specify an aspect ratio,
    and once I do then I'll submit a patch to the author.

    David Dorward, May 10, 2005