    required. Is this because the colgroup is supposed to appear before any TR
    statements and that closure is implicit?

    dan

    Daniel Doman, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Daniel Doman

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Daniel Doman <>
    writing in news:Xns93B49FD31FA69ddomanpanixcom@166.84.1.69:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.4

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Daniel Doman

    Daniel Doman Guest

    Yes - this is what I read. Its still not clear to me.

    1) Unlink a lot of other elements there is no closure e.g.. no </colgroup>
    but I assume this means that its implied by the first TH or TR statement,
    but is this well supported by all browsers for the past few years?

    Daniel Doman, Jul 11, 2003
  4. Daniel Doman

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Daniel Doman wrote:
    > Yes - this is what I read. Its still not clear to me.

    What is what you read?

    Oh, you mean http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.4 that
    Adrienne pointed you to? Please quote the text you are replying to.

    > 1) Unlink a lot of other elements there is no closure e.g.. no
    > </colgroup>

    There is, but it is optional.

    > but I assume this means that its implied by the first TH
    > or TR statement, but is this well supported by all browsers for the
    > past few years?

    What are you actually trying to achieve? Is this actually tabular data? If
    not, then http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts would be a good
    place to start.

    --

    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Jul 11, 2003
  5. Daniel Doman

    Daniel Doman Guest

    Nah - It really is brute force tables and not just layouts. I did reread
    what she pointed to and finally understood and have successfully
    implemented. As for CSS layouts, I've found that some functions like
    scroll:eek:verflow are still not well supported. Safari didn't support it at
    all until the recent 1.0 beta so I am going to stay clear for a while
    longer before counting on that. As it is, my ex-wife is still running the
    OSX 10.2 version of IE (which really sucks) and hasn't even installed
    Safari.When the CSS layouts work, they are lovely, but there are too many
    older browsers out there.

    Thanks

    Daniel Doman, Jul 11, 2003