Use of compile flags in regular expressions.

Discussion in 'Python' started by Steven W. Orr, Jul 19, 2012.

  1. I have a problem that I'm solving using a regex. (Yeah, I know, now I have two
    problems...) ;-)>

    Anyways, the regex is about a couple of pages long and it works just peachy.
    There's just one thing I'd like to do to make it more elegant.

    I need to compile the regex with MULTILINE and DOTALL. But there are a few
    sections where I wish it was *not* compiled with DOTALL. For those cases, I
    use (something like)

    [^\n]*

    instead of

    ..*

    I see that I can use the (?MS) construct but I also see that it applies
    globally and not to the subgroup that I'm using it in.

    * Is there a way to make it apply locally to a subgroup?
    * If not, is there another way?
    * Also, is this an incredible stroke of genius that I came up with this idea
    of applying flags to a subgroup, or have others thought of this too and found
    out that it's not really a good idea?

    TIA

    --
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have .0.
    steveo at syslang.net

    Steven W. Orr, Jul 19, 2012