Use of csshover.htc as in More Eric Meyer on CSS Project 6

Discussion in 'HTML' started by rfr, Aug 17, 2006.

  1. rfr

    rfr Guest

    Project 6 in More Eric Meyer on CSS has the use of an Internet MSIE specific
    Behavior to provide the the ability to get mouse actions on containers to
    work in MSIE, which other browsers will do, but MSIE wont unless one
    supliments if with JavaScript of use of this Behavior file.

    This seemd like a clean and neat way to do this. It seemed better than a js
    method.

    But . . . . .

    Athough I understand the project text and have the "csshover.htc" setup in
    the same directory as specified in the CSS of the original project file, it
    does not seem to work on my Dell 8400 running Win XP Media Center in MSIE
    6.0

    Netscape, Opera, and Firefox are able to run project 6 files on this system.
    So, I know there is nothing universally wrong with this. The problem is
    isolated to MSIE.

    Is there some trick to using this behavior?
    1. For example does it ONLY work when evoked from an Internet server? I have
    run into that before on other issues.
    2. Is it possible that Win XP Media Center is inhibiting something when MSIE
    6.0 is used that others are running into?

    Can someone shed some light on this.

    rfr, Aug 17, 2006

  2. rfr

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "rfr" <> vouchsafed:

    > Project 6 in More Eric Meyer on CSS has the use of an Internet MSIE
    > specific Behavior to provide the the ability to get mouse actions on
    > containers to work in MSIE, which other browsers will do, but MSIE
    > wont unless one supliments if with JavaScript of use of this Behavior
    > file.
    >
    > This seemd like a clean and neat way to do this. It seemed better than
    > a js method.
    >
    > But . . . . .
    >
    > Athough I understand the project text and have the "csshover.htc"
    > setup in the same directory as specified in the CSS of the original
    > project file, it does not seem to work on my Dell 8400 running Win XP
    > Media Center in MSIE 6.0
    >
    > Netscape, Opera, and Firefox are able to run project 6 files on this
    > system. So, I know there is nothing universally wrong with this. The
    > problem is isolated to MSIE.
    >
    > Is there some trick to using this behavior?
    > 1. For example does it ONLY work when evoked from an Internet server?
    > I have run into that before on other issues.
    > 2. Is it possible that Win XP Media Center is inhibiting something
    > when MSIE 6.0 is used that others are running into?
    >
    > Can someone shed some light on this.

    The trouble with using hacks is that sooner or later they will inevitably
    fail. W3c standards allow user-agents certain options which, though very
    ill-conceived, may "legitimately" cause a problem.

    The best thing to do is to stick with the more straightforward methods of
    css and hope for the distant day when they just might fix the other crap.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.

    Neredbojias, Aug 18, 2006

  3. rfr

    rfr Guest

    I tend to agree with you that hacks are more of a pain than a solution.

    But, I would like to do CSS mouse-over hovers on containers in MSIE as I
    can in the other browsers. And that is what this Behavior supposedly added
    to MSIE.

    I suspect that this really works but there is something simple that I am
    failing to do right.

    "Neredbojias" <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html> wrote in
    message news:Xns98238EA5C800Chttpwwwneredbojiasco@208.49.80.251...

    rfr, Aug 19, 2006