Use of [ ] for button links.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 25, 2003.

  1. Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 25, 2003

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero <> wrote:
    > I am wondering whether the use of [] helps graphic browsers and
    > therefore search engines like Google to index a page.

    If it makes any difference, it's probably better to leave them out. An aural
    browser might try to pronouce them, unless you suggested otherwise with an
    aural stylesheet. Chances are they won't confuse Google or graphical browser
    user.
    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com

    Michael Wilcox, Dec 25, 2003

  3. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Steve R. Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote in message ...
    > I am wondering whether the use of [] helps ...

    Sometimes when the words are in a line, such as ..

    [Home] [Welcome] [Products] [About Us] [Contact] then it helps to separate
    the menu items visually, but as you have them in a column I think they look
    worse and they are not required.

    Steve R., Dec 25, 2003
  4. Luigi Donatello Asero

    jake Guest

    In message <BSDGb.576$>, Michael
    Wilcox <> writes
    >Luigi Donatello Asero <> wrote:
    >> I am wondering whether the use of [] helps graphic browsers and
    >> therefore search engines like Google to index a page.

    >If it makes any difference, it's probably better to leave them out. An aural
    >browser might try to pronouce them, unless you suggested otherwise with an
    >aural stylesheet. Chances are they won't confuse Google or graphical browser
    >user.

    My screen reader/voice browser (HPR) will not pronounce the brackets
    *providing there is no space* between the bracket and the letter; it
    will pronounce 'left bracket' 'right bracket' is there are spaces.

    i.e. [hello] [there] ......... hello there

    [(sp)hello(sp) [sp)there(sp)] .... left bracket hello right bracket
    left bracket there right bracket

    ...... but that's only one reader out of many. What JAWS,HAL,
    Window-Eyes, etc. would do, I can't say.

    You'd be safer not doing this.

    regards.
    --
    Jake

    jake, Dec 28, 2003
  5. Michael Wilcox wrote:

    > Luigi Donatello Asero <> wrote:
    >> I am wondering whether the use of [] helps graphic browsers and
    >> therefore search engines like Google to index a page.

    > If it makes any difference, it's probably better to leave them out.

    I'd argue the opposite personally -- it is good to put some type of
    printable character between each link.

    > An aural browser might try to pronouce them, unless you suggested
    > otherwise with an aural stylesheet.

    OTOH, many people using browsers that don't underline links (or a style
    sheet with underlining of links switched off) will not be able to see
    where one link begins and another ends.

    For example:

    Pepperoni Pizza Pie

    How many foods are linked to? What are they?

    [Pepperoni] [Pizza] [Pie]
    [Pepperoni Pizza] [Pie]
    [Pepperoni] [Pizza Pie]
    [Pepperoni Pizza Pie]

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Dec 29, 2003
  6. Luigi Donatello Asero

    jake Guest

    In message <>, Toby A
    Inkster <> writes
    >Michael Wilcox wrote:
    >
    >> Luigi Donatello Asero <> wrote:
    >>> I am wondering whether the use of [] helps graphic browsers and
    >>> therefore search engines like Google to index a page.

    >> If it makes any difference, it's probably better to leave them out.

    >I'd argue the opposite personally -- it is good to put some type of
    >printable character between each link.

    The use of "|" (or 'bar' as my reader speaks it) is becoming pretty much
    a 'de facto' menu item divider.

    >> An aural browser might try to pronouce them, unless you suggested
    >> otherwise with an aural stylesheet.

    >OTOH, many people using browsers that don't underline links (or a style
    >sheet with underlining of links switched off) will not be able to see
    >where one link begins and another ends.
    >
    >For example:
    >
    > Pepperoni Pizza Pie
    >
    >How many foods are linked to? What are they?
    >
    > [Pepperoni] [Pizza] [Pie]
    > [Pepperoni Pizza] [Pie]
    > [Pepperoni] [Pizza Pie]
    > [Pepperoni Pizza Pie]

    Pepperoni | Pizza | Pie ...............'pepperoni bar pizza bar pie'
    Pepperoni Pizza | Pie ................. 'pepperoni pizza bar pie'

    Of course, if the user prefers to ask for a 'list of links' to peruse at
    their leisure, it's not really an issue ;-)

    regards.

    --
    Jake

    jake, Dec 29, 2003