Use of <h1> tag more than once?

Bob

Hello Everyone,

I am making use of two <h1> tags. One is for a banner at the top of the page
and the other is for the topic title in the text part of the page. Both uses
are for primary keywords. You can see this use at www.usernomics.com .

How do you think this will affect the search engines weighting of the <h1>'s
in terms of SERPS?

Thanks a lot,

Bob

brucie

In alt.html Bob said:
Hello Everyone,
kissy

I am making use of two <h1> tags.

two headings of equal weight, fair enough although some argue that a
document should only have one said:
How do you think this will affect the search engines weighting of the <h1>'s
in terms of SERPS?

this is where we have a clash of ideologies. i design sites for the
visitor, i don't give a shit what a computer program may or may not
think of the site.

i'm sure i've just upset a lot of computer programs but when they have
money to spend i'll start designing sites for them as well. until that
happens i'll just worry about keeping humans happy.

Bob

brucie said:
In alt.html Bob said:

two headings of equal weight, fair enough although some argue that a

this is where we have a clash of ideologies. i design sites for the
visitor, i don't give a shit what a computer program may or may not
think of the site.

i'm sure i've just upset a lot of computer programs but when they have
money to spend i'll start designing sites for them as well. until that
happens i'll just worry about keeping humans happy.

Hi Bruce,

I agree with designing for humans as the number one priority. The pages were
designed with that in mind.

My second priority is position in the search engines for a few keywords.

After developing a new CSS, I had a choice of tagging two exixting lines
with keywords already there. I could make it <h1> and <h2> as it was before
or I could make them both <h1>'s using a different class in the stylesheet.

So my current question is if it is beneficial for the search engines to use
two <h1> tags for those existing key phrases?

Bob

brucie

In alt.html Bob said:
So my current question is if it is beneficial for the search engines to use
two <h1> tags for those existing key phrases?

this is a question for alt.internet.search-engines i don't know why bill
sent you over here.

personally i have never come across a situation where my document needed
to be marked up with two <h1>s and it makes me feel a bit icky just
thinking about it. its an unnatural act and god will smite me down.

i have no idea what a search engine would think about two <h1>s and as
indicated in my previous post i don't care.

if you want my guess i would score two <h1>s as suspicious.

Bob

brucie said:
In alt.html Bob said:

this is a question for alt.internet.search-engines i don't know why bill
sent you over here.

personally i have never come across a situation where my document needed
to be marked up with two <h1>s and it makes me feel a bit icky just
thinking about it. its an unnatural act and god will smite me down.

i have no idea what a search engine would think about two <h1>s and as
indicated in my previous post i don't care.

if you want my guess i would score two <h1>s as suspicious.

Thanks Bruce. I did ask the question at the search engine group. Someone
told me to ask it here and "put on my flack jacket." Guess I will change it
back to <h2>. Nobody seems to know the answer. I thought I might be able to
get an extra hit with it appearing twice.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Bob

Shailesh Humbad

Bob said:
Hello Everyone,

I am making use of two <h1> tags. One is for a banner at the top of the page
and the other is for the topic title in the text part of the page. Both uses
are for primary keywords. You can see this use at www.usernomics.com .

How do you think this will affect the search engines weighting of the <h1>'s
in terms of SERPS?

Thanks a lot,

Bob

For an advanced search engine, the name of tag will not matter, but
only relative appearance of its content in the page. After all, you
can easily write things like <h1
style="color:white;background-color:white">. The second H1, since it
is the largest text (and has highest contrast) in the page, will
automatically get the higher precedence. What are SERPS?

Mark Parnell

For an advanced search engine, the name of tag will not matter, but
only relative appearance of its content in the page. After all, you
can easily write things like <h1
style="color:white;background-color:white">. The second H1, since it
is the largest text (and has highest contrast) in the page, will
automatically get the higher precedence.

Do you have any data to back this up?
What are SERPS?

Search Engine Results Pages. The fact that you need to ask doesn't lend
much credibility to the first part of your post.

Bob

Mark Parnell said:
Do you have any data to back this up?

Search Engine Results Pages. The fact that you need to ask doesn't lend
much credibility to the first part of your post.

Yes, that's what I meant by SERPS.

I have one use in a banner containing keywords defined as div
id="banner1"><h1>keywords</h1>.

But later in the text I have <h1 class = "head">keywords</h1>.

So the question is if the search engines will like this or not? I think I
may be pushing it a bit and should make the second one <h2>. The way I
defined them in CSS makes the size and other attributes the way I want them.

Bob

Bob

brucie said:
In alt.html Bob said:
Thanks Bruce.

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa!every $&%ing time!
http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/brucie-birth.jpg [14k]
Someone told me to ask it here and "put on my flack jacket.

thats bill, hes a sensitive little fellow, easily startled.
Guess I will change it back to <h2>.

why don't you just see what happens?

I am afraid to take a chance because I am already doing well with the search
engines. I am just trying to do even better. So I don't want to mess up my
rankings.

Bob

brucie

In alt.html Bob said:

'banner' is an icky poo word things like firewalls and filters look for
when blocking ads. you're risking the style for that <div> or possibly
the entire <div> being blocked.

Toby Inkster

Bob said:
How do you think this will affect the search engines weighting of the <h1>'s
in terms of SERPS?

At this point in time, most search engines don't treat headings any
differently from paragraphs or <div>s. Put your banner in the most
semantically correct container -- probably a <div>.

Shailesh Humbad

Mark said:
Do you have any data to back this up?
No data, but it can be inferred easily. By contradiction, suppose the
search engine didn't pay attention strictly to rendering, then we
could trick the engine by placing keywords in 'important' tags like h1
and hiding them. Since (major) search engines are smart enough to
ignore disguised tags, we can conclude that search engine's do pay
attention strictly to rendering, and not the tag names.
Search Engine Results Pages. The fact that you need to ask doesn't lend
much credibility to the first part of your post.

OALTMC

"Overuse of acronyms leads to mental calcification."

Spartanicus

Bob said:
I have one use in a banner containing keywords defined as div
id="banner1"><h1>keywords</h1>.

But later in the text I have <h1 class = "head">keywords</h1>.

So the question is if the search engines will like this or not? I think I
may be pushing it a bit and should make the second one <h2>.

Equally incorrect, don't repeat content (keywords) in the hope of
boosting SE ranking.

An unlikely but possible valid reason to use for example two h1's is a
page with two topics on it that are 100% unrelated. Note that it's very
hard to defend a decision not to split the two topics up over two pages.

Jukka K. Korpela

Bob said:
I am making use of two <h1> tags.

Does your document have two first-level headings, i.e. texts that stand
as headings for the entire page?
One is for a banner at the top of
the page and the other is for the topic title in the text part of the
page.

Apparently you don't have two first-level headings. A "banner" is
probably something used throughout the site, so it isn't a heading for
this page. It's probably something logo-like, or like a stamp you put
over all pages; there's no specific markup for such things, so just
How do you think this will affect the search engines weighting of the
<h1>'s in terms of SERPS?

You have already made your guess, haven't you?

You are trying to fool search engines into treating something as more
important by wrapping it inside h1 markup. Well, search engines tend to
be clever, and get more clever, so at the end, _you_ will be fooled.

In fact, you probably already are. Making something <h1> probably
increases just its _relative_ weight inside a page in search engine
processing. So instead of letting the specific content of each page
bubble up naturally, you confuse the process with incorrect markup.

Two h1 elements could make sense in a bilingual document for example, but
this is a rare exception.

Normally when a page has more than one h1 element, none of them is
appropriate.

<h1><a href="workplace-ergonomics.html" title="Ergonomics">ERGONOMICS</a>
- <a href="human-factors.html" title="Human Factors">HUMAN FACTORS</a> -
INTERFACE DESIGN</a> - <a href="user-interface-design.html"
title="Usability Testing">USABILITY TESTING</a></h1>

<h1 class = "head">Welcome to Usernomics - The Usability Company</h1>

Need I say more? A usability company reducing the usability of their main
page in an attempt to mislead search engines. With navigation bar
inserted into a heading, with SHOUTING. And asking the public to help
in misleading search engines more, i.e. to do more tricks to get
competitive benefits over their competitors with dishonest means.
If I wanted to help in such matters, I'd at least expect to get paid.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Mark Parnell ([email protected])
feverishly typed...
Search Engine Results Pages.

Really? It's State Earnings Related Pension Scheme where I come from.
The fact that you need to ask doesn't
lend much credibility to the first part of your post.

Ooh! Mark knows more acronyms than us! ;-)

Cheers,
Nige

brucie

In alt.html nice.guy.nige said:
Thanks Bruce.
aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa!every $&%ing time!
http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/brucie-birth.jpg [14k]

its not funny! i am soooo sick of people getting my name wrong. i
reminded a person i was talking to the other day *5* times my name was
brucie not bruce.

<twitch/>

i cant remember the last time someone got my name right. i think it was
back in early may because i remember being shocked that they got it
right.

its really getting on my nerves!

Nice one Mr Blackford (it seems strange now knowing you have a
surname...

i'm not even going to mention being called
mr. black-something-other-than-^$%#ing-ford
you've always been just "Brucie" to us!)

i'll always be just brucie to you. kissy kissy

rf

brucie said:
<twitch/>

i cant remember the last time someone got my name right. i think it was

<sniff/> when *i* last addressed you by name. i *always* get your name right
brucie. even to your broken shift key [1] :-(

[1] Intriguingly, aside from the usual rf and Richard I, the other day, got
RICHARD. I don't even think the poster was angry with me. Go figure...

brucie

In alt.html rf said:
<sniff/> when *i* last addressed you by name. i *always* get your name right
brucie. even to your broken shift key [1] :-(

sorry rf, i know you do. i was primarily referring to <shudder>real
life said:
[1] Intriguingly, aside from the usual rf and Richard I, the other day, got
RICHARD. I don't even think the poster was angry with me. Go figure...

sounds european, very exotic.