Use of Mozilla's Site Navigation Bar

Michael Wilcox

How many users of Mozilla here make use of the Site Navigation Bar feature,
or a similar feature in a different browser? I'm wondering how useful it is
to define the <link> elements with next, previous, top, table of contents,
etc.

DU

Michael said:
How many users of Mozilla here make use of the Site Navigation Bar feature,
or a similar feature in a different browser?

I have it on in all the browsers I use.

I'm wondering how useful it is
to define the <link> elements with next, previous, top, table of contents,
etc.

It's very useful. Defining <link> that way was part of HTML 2.0 spec.
when at that time there were no DHMTL menus. Defining links for Site
Navigation featured browsers is superior to any DHTML menu for 2
fundumental reasons:

- it works reliably even when javascript is turn off
- it works in the same manner regardless of websites; this is not the
case with DHMTL menu based websites where these menus work differently
from 1 website to another website. So, the user has no new learning to
do when arriving to a new website

Many browsers use some kind of site navigation bar or there are
available add-ons: Opera 7 has a site navigation bar, Mozilla too.
Firebird 0.6+, NS 7.x can use an add on for this.
Link Toolbar 0.6: http://cdn.mozdev.org/
http://downloads.mozdev.org/cdn/linkToolbar/linkToolbar.xpi for download
Even MSIE 6 for windows:
http://jibbering.com/toolbar/

I remember reading J. Nielsen on this where he was highly in favor of
implementing such feature in all browsers.

DU
--
Javascript and Browser bugs:

Toby A Inkster

Michael said:
How many users of Mozilla here make use of the Site Navigation Bar feature,
or a similar feature in a different browser?

I have it switched on in 3 out of the 4 browsers I regularly use: Opera,
Mozilla and Lynx, but not Dillo (as it doesn't support it).
I'm wondering how useful it is to define the <link> elements with next,
previous, top, table of contents,

It is certainly useful. For example, Google will follow <link> links.

Also it has no negitive effects in browser that don't support <link>
elements.

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:51:54 GMT, Michael Wilcox is reported
to have stated:
How many users of Mozilla here make use of the Site Navigation Bar feature,
or a similar feature in a different browser? I'm wondering how useful it is
to define the <link> elements with next, previous, top, table of contents,
etc.

I didn't even know it existed. But I have now switched it on, and will see
how I go. :)

Matthias Gutfeldt

Michael said:
How many users of Mozilla here make use of the Site Navigation Bar feature,
or a similar feature in a different browser?

I do in Mozilla, Opera, and Firebird (and Lynx, of course).

I'm wondering how useful it is to define the <link> elements
with next, previous, top, table of contents, etc.

Very useful! It adds a logical navigation to each site. And since the
presentation is handled by the browser, the navigation always looks the
same, for every site. That's very convenient.

Matthias

Alan Wood

Michael Wilcox said:
How many users of Mozilla here make use of the Site Navigation Bar feature,
or a similar feature in a different browser? I'm wondering how useful it is
to define the <link> elements with next, previous, top, table of contents,
etc.

When it is available, I sometimes use it.

Most users of Mozilla probably don't use it, because not many site
developers take the time to include <link> elements.

The only other browsers that include built-in support are iCab and
Opera. Internet Explorer and Safari do not include support, and
Netscape took out support when they ported Mozilla to Netscape 7.1.

I think it is a useful feature, and I wish that more developers would
include it, and that Microsoft and Apple would support it.

Chris Morris

Most users of Mozilla probably don't use it, because not many site
developers take the time to include <link> elements.

The only other browsers that include built-in support are iCab and
Opera. Internet Explorer and Safari do not include support, and
Netscape took out support when they ported Mozilla to Netscape 7.1.

Lynx and Mosaic 3 have built in support too.