    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com
    Michael Wilcox, Oct 15, 2003

  2. Michael Wilcox

    DU Guest

    Michael Wilcox wrote:
    > How many users of Mozilla here make use of the Site Navigation Bar feature,
    > or a similar feature in a different browser?

    I have it on in all the browsers I use.

    I'm wondering how useful it is
    > to define the <link> elements with next, previous, top, table of contents,
    > etc.

    It's very useful. Defining <link> that way was part of HTML 2.0 spec.
    when at that time there were no DHMTL menus. Defining links for Site
    Navigation featured browsers is superior to any DHTML menu for 2
    fundumental reasons:

    - it works reliably even when javascript is turn off
    - it works in the same manner regardless of websites; this is not the
    case with DHMTL menu based websites where these menus work differently
    from 1 website to another website. So, the user has no new learning to
    do when arriving to a new website

    Many browsers use some kind of site navigation bar or there are
    available add-ons: Opera 7 has a site navigation bar, Mozilla too.
    Firebird 0.6+, NS 7.x can use an add on for this.
    Link Toolbar 0.6: http://cdn.mozdev.org/
    http://downloads.mozdev.org/cdn/linkToolbar/linkToolbar.xpi for download
    Even MSIE 6 for windows:
    http://jibbering.com/toolbar/

    I remember reading J. Nielsen on this where he was highly in favor of
    implementing such feature in all browsers.

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:
    DU, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Michael Wilcox wrote:

    > How many users of Mozilla here make use of the Site Navigation Bar feature,
    > or a similar feature in a different browser?

    I have it switched on in 3 out of the 4 browsers I regularly use: Opera,
    Mozilla and Lynx, but not Dillo (as it doesn't support it).

    > I'm wondering how useful it is to define the <link> elements with next,
    > previous, top, table of contents,

    It is certainly useful. For example, Google will follow <link> links.

    Also it has no negitive effects in browser that don't support <link>
    elements.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Oct 16, 2003
  4. Michael Wilcox

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Sometime around Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:51:54 GMT, Michael Wilcox is reported
    to have stated:

    > How many users of Mozilla here make use of the Site Navigation Bar feature,
    > or a similar feature in a different browser? I'm wondering how useful it is
    > to define the <link> elements with next, previous, top, table of contents,
    > etc.

    I didn't even know it existed. But I have now switched it on, and will see
    how I go. :)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Oct 16, 2003
  5. Michael Wilcox wrote:
    > How many users of Mozilla here make use of the Site Navigation Bar feature,
    > or a similar feature in a different browser?

    I do in Mozilla, Opera, and Firebird (and Lynx, of course).

    > I'm wondering how useful it is to define the <link> elements
    > with next, previous, top, table of contents, etc.

    Very useful! It adds a logical navigation to each site. And since the
    presentation is handled by the browser, the navigation always looks the
    same, for every site. That's very convenient.

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Oct 16, 2003
  6. Michael Wilcox

    Alan Wood Guest

    "Michael Wilcox" <> wrote in message news:<eckjb.57999$>...

    > How many users of Mozilla here make use of the Site Navigation Bar feature,
    > or a similar feature in a different browser? I'm wondering how useful it is
    > to define the <link> elements with next, previous, top, table of contents,
    > etc.

    When it is available, I sometimes use it.

    Most users of Mozilla probably don't use it, because not many site
    developers take the time to include <link> elements.

    The only other browsers that include built-in support are iCab and
    Opera. Internet Explorer and Safari do not include support, and
    Netscape took out support when they ported Mozilla to Netscape 7.1.

    I think it is a useful feature, and I wish that more developers would
    include it, and that Microsoft and Apple would support it.

    --
    Alan Wood
    http://www.alanwood.net (Unicode, special characters, pesticide names,
    Alan Wood, Oct 16, 2003
  7. Michael Wilcox

    Chris Morris Guest

    (Alan Wood) writes:
    > Most users of Mozilla probably don't use it, because not many site
    > developers take the time to include <link> elements.
    >
    > The only other browsers that include built-in support are iCab and
    > Opera. Internet Explorer and Safari do not include support, and
    > Netscape took out support when they ported Mozilla to Netscape 7.1.

    Lynx and Mosaic 3 have built in support too.

    --
    Chris
    Chris Morris, Oct 16, 2003