Use of ruby in different areas I've not seen discussed here before?

Richard Lyman

I wasn't one of them, but several of the members of the Universities
Ruby user group used Ruby in their Artificial Intelligence classes. I
think the key was using closures to simulate an 'entity' and then
allowing entities to interact...

I know they used it - I'm not sure how.

-Rich

Friedrich Dominicus

Of course I may have overreadi, but at least I can not remember having
read about ruby used in
- customized language development (e.g business logic)
- fuzzy logic
- "artifical" intelligence

I wonder if someone would like to share what he/she has done in those
areas.

What did you use to "customize" a specialiced language?

Regards
Friedrich

Bil Kleb

Friedrich said:
Of course I may have overreadi, but at least I can not remember having
read about ruby used in
- customized language development (e.g business logic)

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing, but I thought
Rich Kilmer gave a talk on this very subject at Ruby Conf '04.

We use Ruby in our project to create a domain specific language.

Regards,

Belorion

I started a rubyforge (http://rubyforge.org/projects/rgenetic/)
project implementing genetic algorithms
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_algorithm) using Ruby. I
haven't worked on the project in the last year or so (getting married
and starting graduate school kept me pretty busy...), but since I just
got through my qualifying exam here in grad school I hope to have some
time to start up work on it again in the near future (as in after the
holidays).

Why am I using ruby for this? Essentially, I wanted to provide a
*very* user friendly genetic algorithm package. As the project stands
right now, all the user has to provide is a "properties" file, most of
which specifies mutations rates, population sizes and such. Right
now, the hardest thing for the end user to come up with is the
encoding and fitness evaluation of their genetic algorithm (which you
really can't get out of doing), all of which can be specified in the
properties file. Since I am using Ruby, I can easily dynamically load
this information or change it at run time. Heck, if I decide halfway
through a very long execution that I want to change my fitness
evaluation, I can!

Oh, and because Ruby is so darn easy to write and understand, I was
able to prototype the library fairly quickly and easily.

Friedrich Dominicus

Bil Kleb said:
Maybe we're not talking about the same thing, but I thought
Rich Kilmer gave a talk on this very subject at Ruby Conf '04.

We use Ruby in our project to create a domain specific language.
May I ask what domain that is. Are you allowed to show some example
code?

Regards
Friedrich

Kaspar Schiess

- "artifical" intelligence

I did a semester project lately in Ruby (or rather as a C extension to
Ruby) implementing an extended neural network (not just simple backprop).

Worked quite well; I was able to visualize and to use the Net in a fashion
that I would not have been able had I written it in C entirely.

Note that the code I started off with is on the RAA.

kaspar

hand manufactured code - www.tua.ch/ruby

Bil Kleb

Friedrich said:
May I ask what domain that is. Are you allowed to show some example
code?

Computational Fluid Dynamics (see website below).

If you are a U.S. "person" (some legal thing), you can have all
the source you want.

Regards,

Friedrich Dominicus

Bil Kleb said:
Computational Fluid Dynamics (see website below).

If you are a U.S. "person" (some legal thing)
Well sorry, I'm afraid I'm an illegal thing ;-)

Regards
Friedrich