Use of SmtpMail to Send Mail Outside Domain

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Leonard, Aug 19, 2003.

  1. Leonard

    Leonard Guest

    I am using SmtpMail on a couple of ASP.NET pages. When
    mail is sent to an address outside the domain I get
    the "Could not access 'CDO.Message' object." error
    message. I have looked in the newsgroup and I see several
    entries on this but none that seem to work in my situation.

    Exchange 2000 is running on same machine as the Web server
    which is also a domain controller. I see a discussion of
    several things such as using impersonation to setting
    permissions on cdosys.dll to allow access by
    IWAM_MACHINE. There seems to so many approaches, some of
    which, I have tried without succes.

    I am trying to simply send email to persons outside my
    domain from a Web page. Does anyone have any
    straightforward, unambiguous steps I can take to be able
    to achieve this without unduly compromising security on
    the machine?

    Thanks.

    Leonard, Aug 19, 2003

  2. It sounds like a Relaying issue. You should be able to tweak the Relay
    permissions on the SMTP server to fix it.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    http://www.takempis.com
    Neither a follower nor a lender be.

    Kevin Spencer, Aug 20, 2003

  3. Leonard

    Leonard Guest

    Thanks. I am not clear on what relaying settings to
    apply. I am running Windows 2000 Server SP3 with Exchange
    2000. The relay settings only allow forwarding from
    another machine on my LAN. What other settings should I
    be making. The machine in question is an active directory
    domain controller. I have been dealing with this for
    almost two weeks and nothing seems to work when sending
    mail outside the domain. I notice another posting today
    on the same issue. It seems a lot of people are having
    the same problem and I'm seeing a lot of different,
    conflicting, and confusing approaches to solutions that
    don't seem to work. I guess we need some really clear,
    complete, start-to-finish guidance on this.

    What settings should we make regarding relaying in
    Exchange? What permissions should we set for the
    IWAM_MACHINE or ASPNET accounts? What kind of permissions
    should be set for the cdosys.dll? What impersonations
    should be set?

    I have seen posting in all these areas from various points
    of view. Some I understand and have tried without success
    and some I don't. Since this seems to be a problem that
    many of us are having, some kind of comprehensive,
    coherent help is needed on how to the SmtpMail object in
    various scenarios and configurations would be quite
    helpful.

    Thanks, again.

    Leonard, Aug 20, 2003