    But then again, what about the linux and mac users?

    Is there a standard list of fonts that can be used in 'global' webbuilding?

    Eric

    some dude somewhere, Jan 18, 2004

  2. some dude somewhere

    Richard Guest

    some dude somewhere wrote:

    > Hi there,

    > I am almost afraid to ask this, but......... which FONTS can I use when
    > making a HTML page?

    > I always use one of the standard Windows fonts. Courier, verdana, arial
    > and so on. But would Trebuchet for example be possible as it is a
    > standard windows font.

    > But then again, what about the linux and mac users?

    > Is there a standard list of fonts that can be used in 'global'
    > webbuilding?

    > Eric

    that's why you select several. if you want trebuchet as your first choice,
    then arial as your 2nd, another one as your 3rd and so on, just list them in
    font-family.
    I will assume that if none of the choices are available, it reverts back to
    the user's machine default font.
    I generally have my IE set to totally ignore the fonts anyway.

    Richard, Jan 18, 2004

  3. some dude somewhere

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:raBOb.51298$>
    "some dude somewhere" <> said:

    > which FONTS can I use when making a HTML page?

    any you like

    > I always use one of the standard Windows fonts. Courier, verdana, arial and
    > so on.

    i only have one of those fonts.

    > But would Trebuchet for example be possible as it is a standard
    > windows font.

    i don't have that one either

    > But then again, what about the linux and mac users?

    just specify a generic family so you get the look you want and the
    visitor gets their preferred font for the family specified. simple.

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude

    brucie, Jan 18, 2004
  4. some dude somewhere wrote:

    > I am almost afraid to ask this, but......... which FONTS can I use when
    > making a HTML page?

    http://www.codestyle.org/ has a nice list of common fonts on different
    platforms.

    However, note not all fonts with the same name are equal. The Helvetica
    that comes with Mac OS is nice and anti-aliased. The Helvetica that comes
    with Ghostscript (and is thus installed on many Linux and Unix systems) is
    a Type1 font, so doesn't include anti-aliasing, so looks pretty ugly.

    e.g. http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/verdana-is-strange

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jan 18, 2004
  5. some dude somewhere

    picayunish Guest

    some dude somewhere wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am almost afraid to ask this, but......... which FONTS can I use when
    > making a HTML page?
    >
    > I always use one of the standard Windows fonts. Courier, verdana, arial and
    > so on. But would Trebuchet for example be possible as it is a standard
    > windows font.
    >
    > But then again, what about the linux and mac users?
    >
    > Is there a standard list of fonts that can be used in 'global' webbuilding?

    What about not specifying any font. That way you let the visitors decide
    what kind of font they have set with there browsers. And you don't have
    to worry about any standard browser font on all platforms. ;-)

    The same goes for the font size.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    picayunish, Jan 18, 2004
  6. some dude somewhere

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:31:35 GMT, "some dude somewhere"
    <> wrote:

    : I am almost afraid to ask this, but......... which FONTS can I use when
    : making a HTML page?

    None. The user has a set default.

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Jan 19, 2004
  7. some dude somewhere

    jake Guest

    In message <raBOb.51298$>, some dude
    somewhere <> writes
    >Hi there,
    >
    >I am almost afraid to ask this, but......... which FONTS can I use when
    >making a HTML page?

    Just about any you like -- although not everyone will see your choice.
    You could 'embed' your font, in which case some 85% of your viewers will
    see it (assuming you and they are Windows/IE users)

    >I always use one of the standard Windows fonts. Courier, verdana, arial and
    >so on. But would Trebuchet for example be possible as it is a standard
    >windows font.

    Trebuchet is an excellent choice for a sans-serif font, having been
    designed for especially for screen clarity. Not everybody has it
    installed, but Arial and Helvetica are excellent fall-backs.

    Verdana has a few problems associated with its use (although it, too,
    was designed for screen clarity).

    >But then again, what about the linux and mac users?

    No idea, I'm afraid.

    >Is there a standard list of fonts that can be used in 'global' webbuilding?

    Not that I know of, but if you search around you should come up with a
    list of 'most installed fonts' on various platforms.

    --
    Jake

    jake, Jan 19, 2004
  8. OK, I understand why you wouldn't want to specify a certain font, but as a
    designer you want to control the look of a website you make. I guess it is
    the classic battle between control of a design and technical simplicity.
    Hehehe, categorise this as the same discussion on frames or no frames!

    Thanks anyway.

    Eric

    some dude somewhere, Jan 19, 2004
  9. some dude somewhere

    PeterMcC Guest

    some dude somewhere <> wrote in
    <pcQOb.43673$>
    > "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> schreef in bericht
    >> some dude somewhere wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi there,

    >> > I am almost afraid to ask this, but......... which FONTS can I

    >> use when > making a HTML page?
    >>
    >> > I always use one of the standard Windows fonts. Courier, verdana,

    >> arial > and so on. But would Trebuchet for example be possible as
    >> it is a > standard windows font.
    >>
    >> > But then again, what about the linux and mac users?

    >> > Is there a standard list of fonts that can be used in 'global'
    >> > webbuilding?

    >> that's why you select several. if you want trebuchet as your first
    >> choice, then arial as your 2nd, another one as your 3rd and so on,
    >> just list them in font-family.
    >> I will assume that if none of the choices are available, it reverts
    >> back to the user's machine default font.
    >> I generally have my IE set to totally ignore the fonts anyway.

    > OK, I understand why you wouldn't want to specify a certain font, but
    > as a designer you want to control the look of a website you make. I
    > guess it is the classic battle between control of a design and
    > technical simplicity. Hehehe, categorise this as the same discussion
    > on frames or no frames!

    You may have misunderstood.

    It's not a philosophical issue - you can't specify the font that will be
    used to display the page. The font used depends on what font you have
    suggested in the mark-up/CSS, what fonts are available on the client machine
    and what preferences as regards fonts the user of the client machine has
    implemented. The only fonts that you can suggest with some reasonable
    expectation of use are generic serif or sans serif.

    If the specific font is essential to the page's appearance, you will need to
    substitute the text with an image of the text as you want it to appear. That
    will, of course, introduce a whole set of other problems :(

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Jan 19, 2004